Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Dakota Joshua signs extension with the Canucks (4 years, $3.25M AAV)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
shooting >20% suddenly at 28 makes me question sustainability too but obviously he has other attributes and the cap space probably doesn't matter long-term

They stopped giving him 4th line minutes and put him on the 3rd line with guys he had great chemistry with in Garland/Blueger. He's got a surprising amount of skill to go along with his physicality. Don't think he's going to keep shooting that high by any means but honestly at that price his role is to wreak havoc in the corners and crease and hopefully be a 35ish point guy.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I kept thinking that maybe the team would take the avenue of finding "the next Joshua". And honestly would have had enough faith in management to do that, but theres just something about Joshua. He fits like a glove, he pushes guys, he's heart and soul, he clearly elevated his game.

I have 0 problems believing that Blueger signed after being given assurance that if he took a little haircut they would make it work to bring back Joshua. Welcome back to 2/3rds of the best 3st line since 2011!!

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Man, the Canucks have made 3 solid moves in a row. I thought it would be a win if they got Blueger and Joshua for 6 combined, instead it's 5. These kind of small wins add up.

Now, let's see if they make the right call and let Zadorov walk (unless it's for less than 4.5 aav)

Agreed. Love the player, but on his way to being overpriced. Gimme Dillion at less.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Damn, a lot of money for a 32 point forward
Foegele is gonna get paid

Joshua was slightly more productive per game than Foegele this year while being one of the top hitters in the game and Foegele already makes 2.75 so how much more is he going to make? Foegele has the longer track record of production but he also doesn’t get the size premium, so I doubt he’d get much more than this.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
well, looks like we have the first game of every series taken cared of.

jokes aside, I'm getting tired of pumping Allvin's tires anymore. I used to think it was JR doing a lot of shadow GMing, but these contracts are for sure between Castonguay and him putting in the work. I thought for sure Joshua will be the odd man out because of market forces.... but the room must've been tight with Hronek not using all his RFA leverage, Blueger and now Joshua signing for below market value.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Joshua was more productive per game than Foegele this year while being one of the top hitters in the game and Foegele already makes 2.75 so how much more is he going to make?
Agreed. Too many just look at stats. Joshua, Blueger annd Garland was one of best third lines in the league and they are now locked up at a combined $10 million which is good value. One other thing with Joshua is his physical play that doesn’t show up in the stats. Big physical wingers who can skate well and score are tough to find.
I don’t think the contract is risk free in that this was really his first break out year but the relatively low price compared to what he could have got on the open market somewhat mitigates that risk.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
shooting >20% suddenly at 28 makes me question sustainability too but obviously he has other attributes and the cap space probably doesn't matter long-term
His shot % is because he overwhelmingly is taking high danger shots in tight from incredible Garland feeds. The Garland feeds are sustainable so as long as that line is together >15% seems possible. Would have been a risk for any other team signing him for sure though.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad