Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Vincent Desharnais signs with the Canucks (2 years, $2M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Did he play much on the Oiler's successful pk during the playoffs? I know he was a healthy scratch as things progressed to the finals.
Yep. Good PKer. But could not move the puck out of the boards in the defensive zone. Not smart enough or mobile enough which is why Broberg completely replaced him.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Desharnais took big strides this year, he looked good in the first round of the playoffs as well. But once the games got a bit faster and we faced more aggressive forechecking teams his warts started to show

I would've liked to keep him on the Oil but that's a little too expensive for us

He's really good on the PK and seems well liked by teammates. Don't expect him to be overly physical

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yep. Good PKer. But could not move the puck out of the boards in the defensive zone. Not smart enough or mobile enough which is why Broberg completely replaced him.
Yeah, that was my experience of him too. Could get overwhelmed with a two man forecheck. But stout in front of the net, and won lots of battles.

And to me, it's no criticism to say that a top ten pick who can skate like the wind and finally started to figure things out (and that's no shade, Podkolzin is still figuring it out from that year and I believe in him still too), displaced him.

He's not going to even sniff our top 4 unless we get injuries. We'll utlize him for what he's good at.

He's obviously not in the same stratosphere as a puckmover, but provides a little bit of the size and snarl that we lost in Zadorov for about 28 million and 4 years less.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry, I meant for opening night. A better defenseman will be available for a 3rd at some point in the season.
h
I actually think the organization is very high on Willander and they expect him to follow a similar trajectory as a guy like McAvoy. Wouldn't shock me if he's getting NHL games with another strong year of development.

Willander is the main reason why they didn't pursue many of the top right shot D that were available on long term deals. Zadorov only made sense since they dont have a stud like Willander on the left side

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Desharnais took big strides this year, he looked good in the first round of the playoffs as well. But once the games got a bit faster and we faced more aggressive forechecking teams his warts started to show

I would've liked to keep him on the Oil but that's a little too expensive for us

He's really good on the PK and seems well liked by teammates. Don't expect him to be overly physical
It's interesting Oilers fans are saying he's not very physical.

Obviously I defer to those who watched more of him. But he was really obnoxiously physical and mean in our series and was someone that myself and my friends hated during that series which speaks well of him.

Was that uncharacteristic of him?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
h
I actually think the organization is very high on Willander and they expect him to follow a similar trajectory as a guy like McAvoy. Wouldn't shock me if he's getting NHL games with another strong year of development.

Willander is the main reason why they didn't pursue many of the top right shot D that were available on long term deals. Zadorov only made sense since they dont have a stud like Willander on the left side
Willander, all things going as they should, will likely be joining the team with about 5 games left in the season this year.

You're totally bang-on that with Hronek signed long-term and Myers for 3 years it made no sense to bring in someone on a Pesce or Roy contract.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
It's interesting Oilers fans are saying he's not very physical.

Obviously I defer to those who watched more of him. But he was really obnoxiously physical and mean in our series and was someone that myself and my friends hated during that series which speaks well of him.

Was that uncharacteristic of him?

he'll battle in front of the net and on the wall, but dont expect him to blow any guys up on the rush

I always felt like he could use his size more

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
he'll battle in front of the net and on the wall, but dont expect him to blow any guys up on the rush

Okay, yeah.

I mean, hitting isn't just about size. It's proprioception, timing, hockey sense. I didn't really see him laying anyone out.

But he was cruel and obnoxious in front of the net and, as long as we play him to his limitations, that's a worthy contribution to a team.

Reactions: sepHF

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
The Canucks biggest issues last year came against teams with speed. They allowed their 3-4 and 5-6 pairings to get walked by speedy forecheckers and for the stretch pass to beat their 2nd and 3rd pairing anchors. Zadorov's skating somewhat mitigated that but the team did not address these issues.

If the D pairings are going to be Hughes/Hronek and then [insert giant man syndrome here] for their 2nd and 3rd pairings. This team is going to get exposed heavily, or give Demko (if he's healthy) a ton of quality chances 1-1 against opposing forwards

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Calm down everyone, It's July 1. Canucks have lots of cap space and plenty of time to add a puck mover to this D core.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Give Vinnie a mobile partner and he will be just fine for you guys. He’ll quickly become a fan favourite, IMO.

Yes, play him heavily with Hughes. Sarcasm.

His partner is likely to be Forbert based around depth chart seating

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Calm down everyone, It's July 1. Canucks have lots of cap space and plenty of time to add a puck mover to this D core.
They do?

1719868831901.png

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He's a bottom pairing guy but his skating and puck movement are just not good enough to be a quality everyday NHL player. Good on the penalty kill. That is probably a tad high for him.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
We have under 2mil of cap space.

We are screwed.

It's amazing how many people still don't understand the basics of how the cap works. Yes capfriendly says 2 million, but there are some things to consider:

1. They have 24 players on the roster - so that right there is adds another 800k-1 million depending on who you send down, so it's more like 2.8-3 million
2. If you ADD another player, well you'll need to take someone else off, adding another 800k to 1 million.
3. You don't have to have a 23 man roster going into the season. Many teams go with 22 or 21. That could free up even more space.

Conceivably, the Canucks could add a 6 million dollar player and still be cap compliant on day 1. I doubt they'd want to do that, but adding a 3-4 million dollar player could be done relatively painlessly.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It's amazing how many people still don't understand the basics of how the cap works. Yes capfriendly says 2 million, but there are some things to consider:

1. They have 24 players on the roster - so that right there is adds another 800k-1 million depending on who you send down, so it's more like 2.8-3 million
2. If you ADD another player, well you'll need to take someone else off, adding another 800k to 1 million.
3. You don't have to have a 23 man roster going into the season. Many teams go with 22 or 21. That could free up even more space.

Conceivably, the Canucks could add a 6 million dollar player and still be cap compliant on day 1. I doubt they'd want to do that, but adding a 3-4 million dollar player could be done relatively painlessly.
Silovs is also still unsigned, although he won’t be pricey

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Because when he did he would get himself out of postion. Coffey and company got him to simplify his game

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Yes, with 24 players on the roster. We can add 4.5 and run with a 22 man roster quite easily.

How valuable is cap space in this modern NHL?

Yes they an add. Yes they are 1 man over the roster. Yes Poolman and LTIR

But what flexibility exists then?

A number of conference finals teams over the past few years have been there due to trades made with available cap space during the season. Florida won with Okposo and Tarasenko as major additions during the season. Having cap space is not just essential but critical in terms of a teams health and ability to compete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad