Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Tyler Myers signs extension with the Canucks (3 years, $3M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Still have Zadarov, Lindholm, and a backup goalie to sign (theoretically to get to the same spot they were last year which still wasn’t good enough).

This wasn’t a wise move by the Canucks. First one this offseason. Can get Zadarov, Lindholm, and a backup G for the money but I don’t see how they can possibly get Guentzel without leaving some pretty blatant holes.

Do the Canucks really just want to run it back?
It’s a RD, knows their system/coaches, did very well in the playoffs, so fair at 3m. On top of that I think they are thin on the righty. So it is what it is. And they were a good team this past season. I don’t think their fans are against running it back with reasonable cap hits.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
So long as he doesn't play too high in the lineup he does just fine.
3M might be a tad much, but I don't know how many playable RHD's we could turn up for that money.
Plus, every once in a while he totally drills Duncan Keith or Leon Draisaitl, and then it seems like a bargain.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Should’ve been 2.5 for one year not 3x3. He doesn’t like it? Then he can get lost. This should’ve been a better contract for the Canucks when you consider how it’s widely known that he badly wants to remain in BC year round (he lives in Kelowna in the summer).

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Bahahaha… Canucks whipping boy stays another 3 years!!!

You would think that he should have given the team a Tom Brady contract to use that cap space to win… especially with all the money he has already made from the Canucks.

Reactions: Devonator

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014
Second best RHD? Wtf

Roy
Tanev
Pesce
Walker
Montour

Like that’s off the top of my head…I’d also easily take someone like Carrier ahead of him but I’ll stick to the obvious names.
Do you think any of these players will sign 3m contracts? Maybe he’s the best available RD at that price

Reactions: DL44

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Good. I was hoping we could get to 2.5 or so at 3 years but it's still great value for what he provides.

I think its also worth pointing out that this is not the only successful year as a Canuck. He and OEL performed excellent as a shutdown pair one year as well.

If you look back into the Winnipeg years, their fans called him a 4/5 who was good defensively but prone to puck mistakes and his stats bear that out. They said he would be overpaid and so he was.

If anything, his game seemed to mature last year and the Canucks' return to structure helps cover his deficiencies.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Shit, just saw there's a no movement clause for the first 2 years. That sucks. Otherwise fair contract.

He needed an NMC because one of his children has some developmental issues and Vancouver has a really good program that the child is in. Realistically he probably took a $2m haircut from what he could get as a UFA.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Is he really a top 4 guy at this point? Not a bad contract though.

He absolutely was the last portion of the season and in the playoffs this year. Played nearly 20 minutes regularly and was a stalwart on the PK for the Canucks. How he ages is the question, but he was on the second-pair with Soucy for the later part of the year, and played significantly more minutes due to his special teams usage.

I think right now he's solidly a second-pair, right-side defenseman. We'll see how he looks next year.

Phil Brooks

Jun 26, 2019
Chicago, IL
Ian Cole was the Nucks #6 at 3M so Myers taking his spot at 3M isn't bad.

Huge RHD that can play tough, works with the system. 2 years would've been ideal but it is what it is, 3M is more than fair though.

PenderB

Jun 9, 2019
Second best RHD? Wtf

Roy
Tanev
Pesce
Walker
Montour

Like that’s off the top of my head…I’d also easily take someone like Carrier ahead of him but I’ll stick to the obvious names.
Completely fair statement but those guys are all getting over 5 except for Tanev

the big nobody

Jun 4, 2024
New West, BC
Myers wasn't really any better last year than he was in seasons past. Sure, his raw stats improved, but that was only because the whole team improved. It was a case of a rising tide lifting all boats. I'd expected him to go to free agency and land a much better deal, as there's always at least one GM out there who overpays when signing a free agent just by looking at the raw stats. Still, as long as he's kept on the bottom pairing, the damage he can do by his misplays is minimal. I wouldn't have paid him much more than 1 or 1.5, maybe 2 if I was drunk, on a 1-2 year deal. If this means not re-signing Zadorov then it's terrible, not even remotely justifiable.

• Haha
Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Hate this. 3 years term for a 34 year old. He’s worth about 2.5m right now, so it’s a small overpayment for now, but in 2-3 years if he falls off, its gonna be pretty bad.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad