Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Tyler Myers signs extension with the Canucks (3 years, $3M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He was pretty good last year. I'm not saying its a great deal for an older defender but it certainly isn't a bad one and I think the AAV is maybe even slightly under market but the 3 years certainly evens that out.

Under new coaching/system - he was a much better player.

People are clinging to old tropes because it's hard being open-minded that a player can be successful when they've only heard jokes for a decade. That's what this reaction is mostly about.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Giving him a NMC as well is downright bizarre.
He wants to retire with Vancouver. Very clear that was the hangup in negotiations.

Allvin probably shouldn't have budged on the third year. If he declines and they need to move on by then, it'll have to be a buyout (which shouldn't be too expensive).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Probably means they’re out on Guentzel.
Zadarov and Silovs still to go and then get a B level type top sixer to play with EP. Toffoli?

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
It's a decent price for Myers. I feel like this may take Canucks out of the running cap-wise for a big fish. Hopefully not...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Gross. I know he’s well liked by the team and he wasn’t as bad last year, but it was time to move on unless he signed for like 2X2. They already don’t have much room to add more important pieces like a legit #4 or a winger for Petey. If they had more room, 3 wouldn’t be the worst on a 1 year deal like with Cole last year, but 3 years until he’s 36?

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's a decent price for Myers. I feel like this may take Canucks out of the running cap-wise for a big fish. Hopefully not...

Yeah looking at their cap structure, I don't think they have the money to go after Guentzel anymore with this. Unless they're willing with going into next year with some massive holes, I don't see the money as being available.

$15.4 million in cap space including LTIR with needing probably 2 top-6 wingers (I don't view Suter as a legitimate top-6 guy), a 3rd pair LD and a backup goalie is definitely doable, but probably not to the "bring in Jake Guentzel" level.

They look like they're sitting with:

XXXXX-Pettersson-Hoglander
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Di Giuseppe-Aman-Podkolzin
XXXXX-XXXXX

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
XXXXX-Friedman/Juulsen
Juulsen/Friedman

Demko-XXXXX

And frankly, that bottom-4 defense and top-6 winger group looks pretty gross to me.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Was starting to forget what it felt like to be a Canucks fan with all of the great moves lately. But there it is. Really don’t like this. Myers only wanted to be here and is going to be 35 next year. No reason to go three years here.

mrdomino

Begrudgingly, a Canucks fan
Oct 13, 2020
3x3 is less than what Myers would have gotten on the market but somehow it's still an overpayment?

200w.gif

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Wouldn’t have gone for 2 years at that cap hit, or at least for three years max out at $2.5M.

I think this one will bite Canucks in the end.

• Haha
Reactions: VanillaCoke

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
They need 2 fwds, 1 D and 1 G still, Lindholm probably walks, Zadorov is still doable.

Still have 14.5 and only need 2 fwds, 1.5D, and 1G.
But all depends who they want to target Guentzel will be ~9M. Roy is ~6M etc

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That’s another tidy piece of business.

Myers had his best season as a Canuck last year, and he was very good in the playoffs, he’s also big and a right handed D.

Still makes some mistakes from time to time, but a huge system player for us now.

That’s a pretty good deal, a nice discount.

The only thing I wish is if it was two years, not 3
Even with the 3rd year it won't hurt too much with the cap rising and Alvin is taking care of business

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He was pretty good last year. I'm not saying its a great deal for an older defender but it certainly isn't a bad one and I think the AAV is maybe even slightly under market but the 3 years certainly evens that out.

Under new coaching/system - he was a much better player.

People are clinging to old tropes because it's hard being open-minded that a player can be successful when they've only heard jokes for a decade. That's what this reaction is mostly about.

3 for what he did last year is probably ok, but he shouldn’t be in the top 4 regularly and at that price point he’s an expensive luxury on the bottom pair on a team that doesn’t have a lot of money to fill other holes. He’s also 34, so even if he’s the same player next year he probably won’t be for the whole deal. I wouldn’t say it’s clinging to old tropes to not like this. I think it would be better to spend on second pair RD upgrade and run Juulsen/Friedman on the bottom pair, but that’s without knowing what the prices are going to be yet

Reactions: Phrasing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad