Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Filip Hronek signs extension with the Canucks (8 years, $7.25M AAV)

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

These charts are so f***ing stupid man. Just watch the game. I am not a Canucks fan but this guy is a specimen and has passed the eye test pretty much time I've seen him play. Strong, skates well, knows how to contribute offensively without taking away from his defensive game. I'd kill for this guy on the Pens.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
We got his entire prime. Puck moving RD are always a premium, and this is a fair price. He was outstanding until he got hurt, and give us the big shot from the point that we have been missing. This deal works well for us now, and will get better as the cap rises considerably for the next few years. Hughes also benefitted greatly from being paired with Hronek. We have one of the best defensive pairings in the NHL locked in at 15mil for the next 3 years, not going to complaint about that at all.

Vancouver saw the Nurse deal and figured they better give a third pairing guy the equivalent.
3 years younger and 2 mil cheaper. Not the same.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Vancouver saw the Nurse deal and figured they better give a third pairing guy the equivalent.
This take is about as edgy as a marble.

RHD playing on first pairing of team that was one win away from conference finals at a time with a rising cap signs a deal that’s still worth way less than the player you referenced. Like, why bother?

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Canucks weren't in a good position on D. Without him, their defense would have been Hughes, Soucy, and Poolman(?). Is it too much? Perhaps... Friedman, though, has talked about the Canucks making decisions on guys. They will probably let some of their depth players walk in order to alleviate this contract.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The Canucks weren't in a good position on D. Without him, their defense would have been Hughes, Soucy, and Poolman(?). Is it too much? Perhaps... Friedman, though, has talked about the Canucks making decisions on guys. They will probably let some of their depth players walk in order to alleviate this contract.
With the D version of EP and Willander likely to be on the team for the 25/26 season the cost of our D core will be just fine. By the time they are off their ELCs and Hughes has a new deal, the number will work just fine. The Canucks knew they couldn't afford to lose Hronek, and paid a reasonable price to retain him.

He is far better than many here are claiming, he has the potential to be elite. He showed that prior to getting injured this season.

Reactions: BHD

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
These charts are so f***ing stupid man. Just watch the game. I am not a Canucks fan but this guy is a specimen and has passed the eye test pretty much time I've seen him play. Strong, skates well, knows how to contribute offensively without taking away from his defensive game. I'd kill for this guy on the Pens.
Charts might be the worst thing to happen to the sport. People want other sports to be baseball so much.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I don't get the angst. Seems like the going rate for a good defenceman. Especially with the cap going up.
Well that's the problem. Hronek had a great season and played a big role in Vancouver's success, and then fell off offensively after getting an elbow injury.

To the computer boys, that means he's bad, and therefore this contract is bad.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
in the end, its a fair deal for a 26 year old rare asset that is nigh irreplaceable these days. Considering his heavy leverage going into arbitration, Silent Bob didnt take a team friendly contract, but this contract is likely going to age well for its duration. Canucks fans should be welcoming this development, now they have a sure fire top pair locked up for long.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
1718818047070.png

I just think with this kind of contract he needs to be passing both the eye-test and be at least average on the advanced stats test (agree they shouldn't be used as a be-all/end-all). I've seen plenty of HFBoards fanbases pump their players up during a good year and then go super toxic on them if the team regresses.

Attachments

• 1718818047175.png
    1718818047175.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Curufinwe

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

3 years younger, 2 mil cheaper, signed in a rising cap era vs a flat cap era, actually plays first pairing minutes, and improved our #1 to the best defenseman in the league this season.

Nurse's contract was 11.21% of the cap when he signed it, Hronek's is 8.23%.

If Nurse signed that deal this year, he would be making 9.86 million per year.

Edit: Nurse's "equivalency" to this deal would be him getting paid $6.75 per year.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
View attachment 884423

I just think with this kind of contract he needs to be passing both the eye-test and be at least average on the advanced stats test (agree they shouldn't be used as a be-all/end-all). I've seen plenty of HFBoards fanbases pump their players up during a good year and then go super toxic on them if the team regresses.
This chart says Pettersson was better than Miller this season. Therefore everything else on the chart can be dismissed without further analysis. If your model says Pettersson was better than Miller then your model is shit.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
View attachment 884423

It's already been posted.

It doesn't hold much weight.

Advanced stats can be important for context and there isn't a single organization in the NHL that doesn't use then to some extent - but that exent is not these useless xGaR charts. The entire graph loses its credibility numerous times but coincidentally it loses the most credibility having Hronek dead last.

Having nerds flash these bingo cards as some sort of proof that it's a bad signing need some better material.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I can see why Vancouver resigned him but I think he's way overrrated. Devon Toews makes the same money and he's a far superior dman than Hronek is. Hronek was terrible in the playoffs for Vancouver but hopefully he gets better next year.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I can see why Vancouver resigned him but I think he's way overrrated. Devon Toews makes the same money and he's a far superior dman than Hronek is. Hronek was terrible in the playoffs for Vancouver but hopefully he gets better next year.

I would agree with this. I'm not a fan of this player and it's understandable why Detroit moved on. The Canucks were so desperate for a top 4 RHD and this was the best they could get. The player and contract could be worse I suppose?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think this is a bad deal for Vancouver at all. It's a fair number and he's young enough that the term isn't a problem. He's a 2/3 type and that's what guys like this will make going forward in our little tax hole known as Canada.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Not exactly apples to apples, Toews will be 37 at the end of his 7 year deal, Hronek will be 34 at the end of his 8 year deal. To put it in perspective, when Toews was 26 (Hronek's age) he was traded from the Islanders and signed his first 4 year deal with Colorado.

Hronek is also a RD, which we all know are on the endangered species list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad