Valuable vs best in MVP voting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
The difference though is that you are looking at something worth $600K vs. something worth $400K, their value is clear/objective. Determining the best player or who is more valuable is very subjective and the success of the team is part of that subjective determination. If you are that good of a player, shouldn't your team have performed better? It's a bit unfair as it's hard, 1 player can only do so much, but 1 player can make a difference for sure. I really don't think you find situations all that often where people think the best player was on a bad team and missed out on the award because of it anyway....so logic that good players must make their team good seems to make sense.

Maybe.....but a skater can help the team score and defend....a goalie isn't going to help you score, so in some respects, doesn't matter how good the goalie plays, if you don't score, you can't win.
Team success is part of the equation but to say that a player can't be the best if their team doesn't win is making it way too big of a factor. Good players make their teams better, but they don't automatically make them good enough. That's an extremely all-or-nothing, narrative-driven view, not a logical one.

It may not happen very often where the best player's team doesn't make the playoffs but it's certainly possible.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Team success is part of the equation but to say that a player can't be the best if their team doesn't win is making it way too big of a factor. Good players make their teams better, but they don't automatically make them good enough. That's an extremely all-or-nothing, narrative-driven view, not a logical one.

It may not happen very often where the best player's team doesn't make the playoffs but it's certainly possible.
Perhaps....but is it that big of a deal? What are the examples of guys that should have won but didn't because their team didn't make the playoffs? As noted, it's not a mathematical assessment, determining who's the best is subjective, so while there may be some guys that could have been considered, I'm sure there are lots of arguments for other guys the same year. Anyway, like I said, who are the guys the got robbed and were clearly the best?

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Perhaps....but is it that big of a deal? What are the examples of guys that should have won but didn't because their team didn't make the playoffs? As noted, it's not a mathematical assessment, determining who's the best is subjective, so while there may be some guys that could have been considered, I'm sure there are lots of arguments for other guys the same year. Anyway, like I said, who are the guys the got robbed and were clearly the best?
I don't think it's a huge deal and I can't recall any glaringly superior players in recent memory that were snubbed of a hart for that reason (Luongo is an example of this happening with the Vezina though). It's just a sentiment in general I think gets overblown out of proportion way too often when discussing players.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I think the bigger issue that I’ve seen is when people push for players on teams that are borderline playoff teams when there are far superior players playing on top tier teams that should be given MVP.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I mean that’s fine. I think Tampa without Kuch is a much worse team than Colorado without Mac.
That's probably true, but they were also a worse team with Kuch as well. Perhaps you meant the decline of the team without Kuch were be more significant than that of Colorado losing Mack...which is a reasonable opinion, I tend to share the opposite opinion, which I also think is reasonable obviously....what's why I suggested this was a close one, pretty subjective, hard to argue much controversy with either winning.

I think the bigger issue that I’ve seen is when people push for players on teams that are borderline playoff teams when there are far superior players playing on top tier teams that should be given MVP.
Like who though? What are the examples? Maybe you are referencing random chatter about certain guys, etc....but in terms of who wins vs. not, I simply don't see it (i.e. guys on borderline teams winning when it should have been a guy on a superior team). I'm sure you can find some examples where you could make an argument, but guessing they are far from clear and I do think there are very few of them.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
That's probably true, but they were also a worse team with Kuch as well. Perhaps you meant the decline of the team without Kuch were be more significant than that of Colorado losing Mack...which is a reasonable opinion, I tend to share the opposite opinion, which I also think is reasonable obviously....what's why I suggested this was a close one, pretty subjective, hard to argue much controversy with either winning.

Like who though? What are the examples? Maybe you are referencing random chatter about certain guys, etc....but in terms of who wins vs. not, I simply don't see it (i.e. guys on borderline teams winning when it should have been a guy on a superior team). I'm sure you can find some examples where you could make an argument, but guessing they are far from clear and I do think there are very few of them.
Taylor Hall is the first one that comes to mind. He was 13 points behind McD, but got voted in because the Devils made the playoffs.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Taylor Hall is the first one that comes to mind. He was 13 points behind McD, but got voted in because the Devils made the playoffs.
That's not a good example though, even if it was, it would just be one....which is my point, doesn't really happen that much. The notion was that you can be really, really good, but not win because you play with a great team and someone on a borderline team that made the playoffs won it......you can't make that argument here, the Oilers weren't good that year. Also, there was no clear argument as to who was the best that year, was a bit of a toss up either way.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
That's not a good example though, even if it was, it would just be one....which is my point, doesn't really happen that much. The notion was that you can be really, really good, but not win because you play with a great team and someone on a borderline team that made the playoffs won it......you can't make that argument here, the Oilers weren't good that year. Also, there was no clear argument as to who was the best that year, was a bit of a toss up either way.
How is that not a good example? It’s exactly what I’m talking about. McDavid should have won, but Hall got votes for the situation his team was in, which is outside of both players’ control. McDavid was unquestionably the better and more valuable player that year. He was just playing on the wrong team, apparently.

I could dive through the list of Hart trophy winners and I bet I could pull out many others like this, and maybe I will when I have the time. But just go listen to the talk shows and podcasts, read the articles, etc of the people who vote. Some of these guys are people who generally have stupid opinions and alternate agendas, and it again shows through in how they vote.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Yes - that's what I meant. The impact of Tampa losing Kuch is greater than the impact of Colorado losing MacK. Tampa would decline more than Colorado.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I don’t think it’s necessary to have truly objective criteria. It’s ok to just say “best player” and have a subjective debate about that.

The problem with “most valuable” is that it introduces a bunch of outside context that aren’t actually qualities of the player himself (such as the quality of the team, or whether they happen to play in a competitive division). That’s where we get goofy, controversial results. It wouldn’t be particularly controversial if the 3 best players in the league were finalists and the winner was a guy not everyone agreed on.
Yes, truly objective criteria would be too restrictive in certain scenarios, kinda like this year. Kuch and mackinnon are both worthy winners and even though mackinnon didn’t lead any statistical categories, it’s still reasonable that he is considered the 2024 mvp. It is a bit unconventional that he won while not leading points or goals though. Reminds me of Sakic hart win in 2001. Strong second place point finish against a euro winger who had already won art ross trophies and hart.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
How is that not a good example? It’s exactly what I’m talking about. McDavid should have won, but Hall got votes for the situation his team was in, which is outside of both players’ control. McDavid was unquestionably the better and more valuable player that year. He was just playing on the wrong team, apparently.

I could dive through the list of Hart trophy winners and I bet I could pull out many others like this, and maybe I will when I have the time. But just go listen to the talk shows and podcasts, read the articles, etc of the people who vote. Some of these guys are people who generally have stupid opinions and alternate agendas, and it again shows through in how they vote.
Please dive through and pull out examples when you have time. With this example.....1) McDavid was far from an easy pick should situation been different, several people could have been argued as the guy, so I just don't think it's a good example anyway. 2) as noted, you could argue this is an example where a guy didn't win simply because he missed the playoffs (I'd disagree with that, but that is the angle here).....the notion I was talking about it people saying it's unfair for guys that play on powerhouse teams, they are the best but don't win because a guy playing on a borderline team got it.....this is clearly not an example of that and I don't there are very many examples of that either.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid was unquestionably the better and more valuable player that year. He was just playing on the wrong team, apparently.

Not really. He was out of the Top 5 in scoring for most of the season until the Oilers were effectively out of the playoffs. Then he went crazy to close out the season while the Kucherov took his foot off the gas towards the end of the season.

The Oilers were positioned to build on their 16/17 season but they disappointed and one can point to McDavid's regression through the first 60 games as part of the reason.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Please dive through and pull out examples when you have time. With this example.....1) McDavid was far from an easy pick should situation been different, several people could have been argued as the guy, so I just don't think it's a good example anyway. 2) as noted, you could argue this is an example where a guy didn't win simply because he missed the playoffs (I'd disagree with that, but that is the angle here).....the notion I was talking about it people saying it's unfair for guys that play on powerhouse teams, they are the best but don't win because a guy playing on a borderline team got it.....this is clearly not an example of that and I don't there are very many examples of that either.
What do you mean by ‘should situation have been different’?

Like that’s all well and good but the situation wasn’t different.

McDavid was the best player in the league but his team failed to make the playoffs so he got discounted. Hall had a great year and his team wouldn’t have made the playoffs without him so he got a big bump in voting for that

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
What do you mean by ‘should situation have been different’?

Like that’s all well and good but the situation wasn’t different.

McDavid was the best player in the league but his team failed to make the playoffs so he got discounted. Hall had a great year and his team wouldn’t have made the playoffs without him so he got a big bump in voting for that
I meant I don't really see it has him having been any easy pick to win it and the only reason he didn't was because of the situation (i.e. he missed the playoffs). My point was....if the Oilers made the playoffs that year, it's not like he would have been an easy pick...there were still lots of arguments to be made for other guys.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I meant I don't really see it has him having been any easy pick to win it and the only reason he didn't was because of the situation (i.e. he missed the playoffs). My point was....if the Oilers made the playoffs that year, it's not like he would have been an easy pick...there were still lots of arguments to be made for other guys.
If the Oilers had made the playoffs that year who would have had a better case for the Hart trophy than McDavid?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hall was 41 points ahead of his closest teammate, that clearly sounds like most valuable to his team, while enroute to the playoffs. Edmonton didn’t qualify.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hall was 41 points ahead of his closest teammate, that clearly sounds like most valuable to his team, while enroute to the playoffs. Edmonton didn’t qualify.
McDavid was 38 points ahead of the next highest scoring player on his team so are we saying the 3 point difference was important when he scored 15 points more than Hall overall?

Seems like the team making the playoffs or not was the main factor.

Last season Kuch had 54 more points than 2nd highest scorer on Tampa while MacK had 36 more than 2nd highest scorer on Colorado

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
If the Oilers had made the playoffs that year who would have had a better case for the Hart trophy than McDavid?
That might bring different context though. If they had of made the playoffs, it would have meant McDavid was piling up the points in crucial games down the stretch and doing so got the team to the playoffs. The reality is he was a decent amount back in scoring most of the year and it was only very late in the season (in games that were meaningless as Edmonton was already eliminated) did he pile up points and take over the scoring lead).

McDavid was 38 points ahead of the next highest scoring player on his team so are we saying the 3 point difference was important when he scored 15 points more than Hall overall?

Seems like the team making the playoffs or not was the main factor.

Last season Kuch had 54 more points than 2nd highest scorer on Tampa while MacK had 36 more than 2nd highest scorer on Colorado
Yes, Edm not making the playoffs was definitely a factor, that's why McDavid only finished 5th in voting....but my point is I'm completely fine with this. If McDavid had 140pts that year and #2 scorer in the league had 95pts, hard not to give it to McDavid even if his team missed the playoffs, but that's not the story here, he didn't dominate the competition.....if he did, they are probably in the playoffs. I'm fine with using playoffs as a qualifier as I still see a lack of examples where someone is otherwise robbed of the Hart because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad