Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 19th and 31st overall picks

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Looking around at the crazy young talent in these NBA playoffs and just in general I find it hard to believe short of a future draft miracle that the Raptors compete for a championship again. Like ever. We will just be a feeder team for contenders to poach players from.
Maybe, but the explosive growth in Canadian talent could prove to be an x factor for the Raptors.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Draft is coming up, this front office needs to be aggressive in making improvements. Haven't made a draft day trade since 2015.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Draft is coming up, this front office needs to be aggressive in making improvements. Haven't made a draft day trade since 2015.
Draft day one, or draft day two? (;
There’s Brown and Boucher definitely on the block, prolly GTJ, and maybe Poetl. 31 could be a hot asset too.
I’m convinced it’s gonna be a fun week, if not draft day.
I’m really curious to see what’s done with the first three.
If they can shed Boucher’s 10.8 mil with nothing coming back, and not find acceptable trades for GTJ/Brown, they might just let both go and go shopping with over 50mil in cap space to sign better fits with the core.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Draft day one, or draft day two? (;
There’s Brown and Boucher definitely on the block, prolly GTJ, and maybe Poetl. 31 could be a hot asset too.
I’m convinced it’s gonna be a fun week, if not draft day.
I’m really curious to see what’s done with the first three.
If they can shed Boucher’s 10.8 mil with nothing coming back, and not find acceptable trades for GTJ/Brown, they might just let both go and go shopping with over 50mil in cap space to sign better fits with the core.
So a couple of things.

1) Toronto can sign a free agent without a sign and trade at present if they renounce every FA not named IQ.

2) Boucher's 10.8 might actually be easy to move. For example, if you made a deal with a team like Philly, you could take back Mike Scott's contract (or someone similar) then immediately renounce the rights to that player.

31 should definitely be a hot asset because it's the first pick without a required contract attached.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So a couple of things.

1) Toronto can sign a free agent without a sign and trade at present if they renounce every FA not named IQ.

2) Boucher's 10.8 might actually be easy to move. For example, if you made a deal with a team like Philly, you could take back Mike Scott's contract (or someone similar) then immediately renounce the rights to that player.

31 should definitely be a hot asset because it's the first pick without a required contract attached.
1. Yup, that’s what I’m getting at. Even two solid rotation guys if they get up around the 50 mil mark. And I imagine the debate will be whether they can make trades for Brown and/or GTJ that will provide assets more valuable to them than the cap space will be. My guess is no, and two rotation guys who are better fits might be more up the FO’s alley than futures. I’m hoping for runs at Jalen Smith (who I think you brought up) and maybe Nic Clayton if there’s a Poetl trade. Both guys fit the age cohort well, and provide skills lacking on the roster (Smith, stretch 4, Claxton more rim protection).
2. That would a great trade, no other asset coming back needed really. It seems to me that jumping up to 50 cap space really increases odds of finding good FA’s a tier up from the MLE tier. Maybe there’s even a way to get out from McDaniels ~5mil….though that seems less likely.
3. Agreed. Could easily be worth a future first in a better draft for teams in tight cap spots for example. But it might also yield a pretty nice rotation player itself, given this draft is pretty balanced around that point and mocks are all over the place.
Then there’s still the MLE and a 10 mil TPE to add more depth or assets.
Fun couple days ahead for sure.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Jalen Smith has low motor & inconsistent effort. Nic Claxton will be overpaid, too soft and weak. This roster needs more upside talent, not quick fixes. Dump Brown for late 1st in this draft, let Trent walk, get a cheaper shooting guard.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Gotta get a shot creator on this team hopefully with one of the picks. Maybe grab a C also. This team badly needs someone to create offense it was really hard watching this team sometimes last year

Reactions: DuklaNation

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Is this guy a god? 4 first round picks plus for one player? Seriously. And where-do the knicks get all those picks, there always giving them away.

Is he worth THAT much? No. But the Knicks are in win now mode still with the ability to re-sign OG. They had lots of picks. If they can bring OG back there defence will be elite.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If the Knicks bring back OG and Randle heals we'll and comes back motivated, they are Bostons biggest problem. Likely would have been this year but they were not healthy...

Is Bridges worth 4 or 5 picks? To most teams no.. for the Knicks it was the right fit. I'm sure they looked into Donovan Mitchell and other options but that all depends on if they are Thibodeau guys and fit the culture. They got a good fit IMO.

As for Raps, be curious if anyone really wants Brown and his 22 million. He's got a big price tag for a role player but doesn't have term so that helps. Hopefully the Raps can find a team willing to take him for whatever asset they can get. For development purposes I'd rather they move on from him and Trent Jr sooner if they aren't part of the picture.

Essentially the Raps got to find guys who compliment Barnes, Quickley, Barret and Dick. Not sure anyone else is part of the long term plan, Poeltl is because of his contract but he can be moved IMO. His contract is decent.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

An interesting wrinkle that 2nd rounders don't count under the cap on their 1st deal. That could be relevant if a team close to the luxury cannot really afford to make a bunch of picks over time (for example, if NYK wanted to sign OG and Hartenstein, they would be approaching the 2nd luxury tax with difficulty adding anything to the roster. If they moved pick 25 for pick 31, they would suddenly lose 2.1M in cap hit.

Just to illustrate this (New York Knicks Multi-Year Table), the Knicks have 132M committed. If they signed OG and Hartenstein for their cap holds (which would never be that cheap), they also would have to commit 4.4M on their 1st rounders (NBA Rookie Scale - RealGM) which gives them 14 players.

They'd have to renounce some of their free agents to even consider signing guys.

Edit: Boston is more hilarious. Boston would have to pick up the two club options and they'd STILL be over the 2nd line as soon as they signed their draft pick. If they traded 30 for 31, they would actually come in slightly below the second line.

Last edited:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Also, the NBA re-jigged the 2nd apron

Some of the highlights are that your 1st 7 years out is frozen (and if a team is a 2nd apron team 3 out of 5 years, their pick shuffles to the end of the 1st). So for a Boston, if they can get under the luxury tax, they don't have the horrible restrictions and don't have to potentially face a 1st becoming 30th overall regardless of finish.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Trade up to draft Zach Edey if you have to. Its the only realistic potential difference maker in your range. Get at least one additional pick. Others I like are Terrence shannon, Pacome Dadiet, Johnny Furphy, Kevin McCullar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad