Utah Yeti and if Avs never changed shoulder patch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Hey guys,
If Utah HC goes with Yeti as their name and say the Avs continued with the big foot shoulder patch, do you think the NHL would have made the Avs change their shoulder patch to avoid brand confusion?

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
The Avs seemed to surrender their minimal yeti/bigfoot-adjacent branding a few years back. Obviously ditching Howler happened long ago (sadly!) and the pivot to the "Cubs puck" shoulder crest for whatever reason a few years ago seemed like a good idea to someone in the organization. Even before then, it had been awhile since the team had even acknowledged the foot as a secondary logo - it was rarely incorporated into any other marketing. To my knowledge it was never used on alternate jerseys and didn't get featured on team merch - also, it didn't get any play in promos, advertising, etc.

It's too bad because Howler was a great mascot and I always liked the foot, even if it was never used anywhere besides the shoulder crest. That being said, I'll admit I was a 90s kid so those ties are a little more nostalgic to me than probably most recent fans. The team has made some really vanilla branding moves in the last years in my opinion (anything forcing the Colorado flag/"C" is so played out at this point) but if it sells, I guess it doesn't matter. Of course they could've also made it easier for people in a rapidly growing city/state to actually watch the team on TV, but... :deadhorse

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
IMG_4085.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hey guys,
If Utah HC goes with Yeti as their name and say the Avs continued with the big foot shoulder patch, do you think the NHL would have made the Avs change their shoulder patch to avoid brand confusion?
No, they probably wouldn't have. But really I don't see a scenario where the Avs kept the secondary logo, it was pretty dated by the time they got rid of it.

IMO the ones to really blame are the guys in Vegas. The team name in Utah almost assuredly would've been "Golden Eagles" if the stupid expansion team in Sin City didn't insist on a moniker that made absolutely no sense.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The Avs seemed to surrender their minimal yeti/bigfoot-adjacent branding a few years back. Obviously ditching Howler happened long ago (sadly!) and the pivot to the "Cubs puck" shoulder crest for whatever reason a few years ago seemed like a good idea to someone in the organization. Even before then, it had been awhile since the team had even acknowledged the foot as a secondary logo - it was rarely incorporated into any other marketing. To my knowledge it was never used on alternate jerseys and didn't get featured on team merch - also, it didn't get any play in promos, advertising, etc.

It's too bad because Howler was a great mascot and I always liked the foot, even if it was never used anywhere besides the shoulder crest. That being said, I'll admit I was a 90s kid so those ties are a little more nostalgic to me than probably most recent fans. The team has made some really vanilla branding moves in the last years in my opinion (anything forcing the Colorado flag/"C" is so played out at this point) but if it sells, I guess it doesn't matter. Of course they could've also made it easier for people in a rapidly growing city/state to actually watch the team on TV, but... :deadhorse
I've made a couple of really decent third jersey's using it as the crest.

But seriously, I think the only thing the Avs really did with it was a few ballcaps. I've still got a couple of burgundy hats with the foot logo on it. Love both of them, but they are showing their damn age and I doubt I'll ever be able to find replacements now.

Reactions: madman

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I've made a couple of really decent third jersey's using it as the crest.

But seriously, I think the only thing the Avs really did with it was a few ballcaps. I've still got a couple of burgundy hats with the foot logo on it. Love both of them, but they are showing their damn age and I doubt I'll ever be able to find replacements now.
Yeah, 10-ish years ago I was in Denver when the arena was doing their offseason clearance sale and grabbed a foot logo hoodie for $10. I still wear it but it's pretty well used at this point.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, 10-ish years ago I was in Denver when the arena was doing their offseason clearance sale and grabbed a foot logo hoodie for $10. I still wear it but it's pretty well used at this point.
Have you opened your last jar of Adam's pickles yet?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hey guys,
I'm sure the Avalanche would give up their Rocky Mountain Xtreme logos to Utah at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Pokecheque

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You can still buy hats with the foot: Avalanche Retro Foot Adjustable - Black

It's not a lot but it's something. We should never have changed to the C.
edit... Sorry, misread your post and thought you said we never should have changed the C and I was about to say damn straight! What happened to the Captains font that Sakic had? The bottom of the C ended in a little devil's tail looking point. I thought that was so cool when I younger.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
There is nothing original or unique about Utah. It’s about as basic and burb like as it gets. I lived there for 4 years. Not surprised they had to lean into the Avalanche for ideas.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You can still buy hats with the foot: Avalanche Retro Foot Adjustable - Black

It's not a lot but it's something. We should never have changed to the C.
I'm fine with the C. The Avs had (and in many ways still have) a very 90s look about them. I'm fine with them retaining the primary logo but the shoulder patch was horribly dated.

One of my friends thought the foot was one of the coolest logos of all time and was dying for them to come out with an alternate that had it emblazoned on the front. I think that would've looked quite farcical but this guy also thought the "Burger King" Los Angeles jersey was awesome as well.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The foot logo was never something that should have been on a jersey (I've spent nearly twenty years on the internet continually seeing people saying and designing such things) but it just looked cool. I think our look is timeless and should never change and the foot was something a bit different that combined with the main logo could have started a decent base of iconography for the team. I guess it would make more sense if Howler was still around.

The C and the Colorado flag however both scream "1974". Both terrible.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The foot logo was never something that should have been on a jersey (I've spent nearly twenty years on the internet continually seeing people saying and designing such things) but it just looked cool. I think our look is timeless and should never change and the foot was something a bit different that combined with the main logo could have started a decent base of iconography for the team. I guess it would make more sense if Howler was still around.

The C and the Colorado flag however both scream "1974". Both terrible.
I personally have no problem with 1974 or any other year from that decade so I'm good with the C, the flag, or any variation thereof.

The Yeti footprint was a great design for its time and very reflective of the 90s, which saw a lot of sports teams move toward very elaborate, almost cartoonish themes. I remember a lot of NBA teams in the 90s upended their kits and logos and went with some crrrrrazy ideas. But like many of those designs, it finally outlived its effectiveness and it was time to move on toward something a little simpler. IMO the primary logo still works even though it too is a throwback, but the change to the C on the shoulder was a good move. It also matches up nicely with the current thirds (though IMO they should just go with the old Rockie Hockey uniforms, those would be sooooo awesome).

It's interesting, there's no single NHL uniform out there I really hate (Florida is probably my least favorite at present) now that Los Angeles and Anaheim finally ditched those abominations. I detested the Rbk EDGE outfits the Avs came out with (the infamous "uniprons") but I'm glad they finally fixed things before they became good again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad