Utah team nickname/colors/logo (and related marketing)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Powder blue and black is a smart choice. It’ll be a unique look for the NHL.

The logos are purposefully generic but the font is sharp both for “Utah” and “Hockey Club” - the slanted H bar is a fun touch. I imagine the fonts could be an element that carries forward into the full branding.

I also think that Utah silhouette logo is an obvious “start of concept” for the real secondary/shoulder logo.

The emphasis early on in the branding process has likely been the colors and overall feel - applied to some basic graphics. I think you’ll see that carry forward into the full brand which will want to be an evolution of this generic work instead of a severely disassociated and entirely different look a year from now. It just needs the name and associated graphics.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
More inane? No, but I also still hate the Wild as a team name, for that exact reason. It's not my team, so I don't have to engage with it often, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a terrible name, selected from a group of other terrible names, (White Bears was the best of the bunch, not that it matters now; what should have happened is the league should have left Minnesota the North Stars name, and had Dallas change to the Lone Stars, to set up a Red Sox/White Sox style thing.)

I do think Powder is there to make other names sound better, but you don't need as many terrible names as they have in that poll to make that point. We'll see what happens when they get down to a second round of voting.

Disagree. The best not-used name the Wild could've had was Blue Ox. Still no 'S', but it at least defined the animal.

Nothing will top the independent minor league baseball team that permanently changed their entire name, logo, uniform, etc. between games of a doubleheader.

When did that happen?

People seem to really like the name Colorado Avalanche and the logo they came up with in like two months in the 90s. I don’t really think it takes 15 months to come up with something that can stand the test of time

And that was after they got pre-social media backlash from a leak stating the intended name was going to be the "Rocky Mountain X-treme" - and already had a logo ready.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I love how people were up in arms about AM requesting tax breaks, Utah's plan takes it to a whole nother level ha.

The difference is honestly that Meruelo's plan was obviously doomed from the start, whereas Smith has loads of public goodwill in Utah and will likely pass.

Public money to a private arena/stadium is always a bad idea in my book, but I'm not going to lambast pushers for public funds that are likely to succeed.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Smith isn't a grifter, so they'll abide.

Um…. $1.6 billion in sales tax money isn’t small change.

Smith’s advantage is he’s established and hasn’t rocked many boats.

OTOH….. Meruelo’s hard core approach to turning a badly run businesses around has stepped on a number of toes like a flamenco dancer would.

the big nobody

Jun 4, 2024
New West, BC
All of the team names that've been shortlisted are awful; only Outlaws is remotely passable. Every single name on the shortlist reads better suited for a minor league team, no higher than the ECHL. I suppose this is not unexpected, given that every single expansion team since the turn of the century has had a worse team name than the last. I thought Golden Knights was the dumbest team name possible, and then the Kraken came along to prove me wrong.

They should've gone with Stingers, whether Utah Stingers or Salt Lake Stingers. It's a decent name in itself, and it ties in with Utah as the 'beehive' state.

Reactions: MoreOrr and Brodie

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
All of the team names that've been shortlisted are awful; only Outlaws is remotely passable. Every single name on the shortlist reads better suited for a minor league team, no higher than the ECHL. I suppose this is not unexpected, given that every single expansion team since the turn of the century has had a worse team name than the last. I thought Golden Knights was the dumbest team name possible, and then the Kraken came along to prove me wrong.

They should've gone with Stingers, whether Utah Stingers or Salt Lake Stingers. It's a decent name in itself, and it ties in with Utah as the 'beehive' state.
Mammoths isn't bad.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

I think it's hilarious you are blasting the name options, when Stingers is clearly a minor league name in its own right.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I’ve really come around on Mammoth, but Yeti is such an abysmal name and I truly do not understand why anybody likes it. You guys need to stop conflating something being funny with being good

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Smith isn't a grifter, so they'll abide.

All billionaires are grifters to some degree. I don't really think that he's any more or less of one than Meruelo. He's clearly a much more personable person and also either truly loves SLC or is a good enough actor that his love for the city comes across as sincere. It makes a difference for getting an arena accomplished, but that's as far as I would go.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People seem to really like the name Colorado Avalanche and the logo they came up with in like two months in the 90s. I don’t really think it takes 15 months to come up with something that can stand the test of time

Could probably iterate a thousand team name, concepts, colour schemes in an afternoon with the power of AI and have some viable finalists within a few days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad