Utah team nickname/colors/logo (and related marketing)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Utah Yeti is hard to say. The words are too much alike.

I really hope they don't go for this one, because my brain once briefly identified that it sounds kind of like UTI, and now that's all I hear when I say it.

That said:

I have no idea where he said this, but I'm sure a more attributable tweet will show up eventually.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Remember the immortal words of Joe Paterno ... "It's the name on the front of the jersey that matters most, not the one on the back." :ha:

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
Maybe just maybe they are taking a cue from the PWHL that it didn't really matter none of the teams had a nickname. The league was still a success.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I just don't think it really takes 12 months to come up with a name and logo. All just extra billable hours for marketing folks to come up with copy about how bevels represent dockworkers or whatever

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I know they're probably not doing this, but I think it'd be cool if they got dispensation from the league to adopt the team name mid-season, say after the All-Star break, just hit the ice with the new uniforms and branding out of the blue.

Reactions: JMCx4 and SirJW

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I know they're probably not doing this, but I think it'd be cool if they got dispensation from the league to adopt the team name mid-season, say after the All-Star break, just hit the ice with the new uniforms and branding out of the blue.

It would be very cool - but modern merchandising rules are why it'll never happen.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Maybe just maybe they are taking a cue from the PWHL that it didn't really matter none of the teams had a nickname. The league was still a success.
Launching a small minor pro hockey league is a different challenge than marketing a single team in a long-standing top-flight league. The former needs to focus on a sports product as a whole, which is why the PWHL faced only temporary distractions by their team naming strategy. The "NHL Utah" team is standing alone in the spotlight of North American social media, while a very large number of established NHL BoG members are adding more pressure to key marketing & scheduling decisions that affect them all.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
1717442280841.png

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Exactly. Also like when the Penguins dropped blue from their color scheme in the middle of the 79-80 season.
Nothing will top the independent minor league baseball team that permanently changed their entire name, logo, uniform, etc. between games of a doubleheader.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, that just seems like a placeholder.

Other than shoehorning his own company into the naming mix, I really don't get how this process takes any longer than a few weeks even if they admit that the jerseys will be a short-term rather than long-term thing.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah, that just seems like a placeholder.

Other than shoehorning his own company into the naming mix, I really don't get how this process takes any longer than a few weeks even if they admit that the jerseys will be a short-term rather than long-term thing.

I get it. If you're picking a new jersey/name/logo for your brand new franchise it's something that's going to stick with you for decades to come. For example, see how the Coyotes, and to a lesser extent the Canucks, came back to their original jerseys decades later even after changing them.

So perhaps it's like finding your partner - you want to date for awhile to see if it really sticks before you commit to marrying them.

TO extent the metaphor though - even though you think it's just "casual" with your boyfriend/girlfriend, things have a way of becoming serious before you even realize it.

If "Utah HC" is their branding for their first season, I give it 50/50 that becomes the final branding even if that's not what the owner expects right now.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
People seem to really like the name Colorado Avalanche and the logo they came up with in like two months in the 90s. I don’t really think it takes 15 months to come up with something that can stand the test of time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad