Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
If blizzards actually happen in Utah, I’m picking Blizzards. Do they happen? Otherwise, going with Swarm since Utah is the Beehive State.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Why does everything have to be a scrolling image or a whole bunch of cascading links? Why isn't the first and easiest option just a plain old text list of the potential names? One of the first principles of design is empathy for the user. It's just such a needless failure otherwise. Show me all the names in one click or **** off.

I'm strongly biased against collective nouns.. yeah I'm looking at you Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Seattle, and Denver.

Anyways, the proposed nicknames all kinda suck. So I'm going with Utah HC.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTO

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Glad Canyons is included, that could be a great identity. Not a meme name, it's something you'd actually be happy to live with over a long haul. The Canyons around the city are such an iconic part of SLC.

But seriously, you're going to be close rivals with the Avalanche. Don't do Blizzard or Powder, it's just too similar to the Avs (also, Powder is just asking for trouble. Cocaine and powderpuff jokes out the Wazoo). I get you have all the ski resorts and it's a major part of the city- but you can hit that with "Canyons".

Christy Canyon could do promos...............

Also, no "Scorpions" is disappointing.

Could use the band's music.

The temptation to rig the poll is too big to resist.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Y'all know it's gonna be Yeti. :thumbu:
Can they trademark it when
12069166.jpg

exists? Even if they are able to classify as a different entity, I would think it would limit the ability to sell products that Yeti already does just from cross-contamination.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Mammoth
Swarm
Blizzard

Would be the only three I would be okay with, but not my team so I hope for Utah hockey fans sake, that a good name is chosen.

Kraken is still a joke name for the Seattle team IMO, and I think over time Seattle's fans will realize it as well. Just as Minnesota hockey fans realized with the "wild"

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Swarm, Sqaull, Blizzard and Mammoth are the only ones from that list that I would think are reasonable...although Squall and Blizzard are awefully close to Avalanche... lets hope they revise the options to include some others prior to making a decision...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad