Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Glad Canyons is included, that could be a great identity. Not a meme name, it's something you'd actually be happy to live with over a long haul. The Canyons around the city are such an iconic part of SLC.

But seriously, you're going to be close rivals with the Avalanche. Don't do Blizzard or Powder, it's just too similar to the Avs (also, Powder is just asking for trouble. Cocaine and powderpuff jokes out the Wazoo). I get you have all the ski resorts and it's a major part of the city- but you can hit that with "Canyons".

Also, no "Scorpions" is disappointing.
I thought mountaineers was good.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Glad Canyons is included, that could be a great identity. Not a meme name, it's something you'd actually be happy to live with over a long haul. The Canyons around the city are such an iconic part of SLC.

But seriously, you're going to be close rivals with the Avalanche. Don't do Blizzard or Powder, it's just too similar to the Avs (also, Powder is just asking for trouble. Cocaine and powderpuff jokes out the Wazoo). I get you have all the ski resorts and it's a major part of the city- but you can hit that with "Canyons".

Also, no "Scorpions" is disappointing.

Great post. Wanted Sidewinders myself, the tired jokes are gonna be unbearable if it can be cocained. Gotta trade for player X, yada yada.

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
If you want to give your team a generic “cold”, “winter” name, why not go with the Utah Slushies?

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Utah Raptors, named after the freaking UTAHRAPTOR, is too good or what

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Just looking at Utah resources and animals provide better ideas :

- Utah Miners
- Utah Black Bears
- Utah Rattlesnakes
- Utah Gila Monsters
- Utah Scorpions
- Utah Condors
- Utah Pinnacles
- Utah Ranchers
- Utah Black Widows
-Utah Rogues (Wild West themed)
-Utah Sidewinders

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Too bad it’s not an expansion draft:

‘With the first pick, and Captain, of your Utah Powder, the powder selects Evgeny Kuznetsov.’

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeti would be such a unique brand never seen anything like it in the NHL before, certainly not in the division and certainly not for the team in the state right next door. Here is my mock-up.

6-EB62-C87-60-D6-4-AC7-8254-4-DDB0-E8-CD20-A.jpg

colorado_avalanche_1996-1999_a.png

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Swarm has to with it being the beehive state

I prefer Utah Rock

Outlaws is not bad
other names referencing oregon trail

Why not Utah Rocks? I guess it calls to mind rubble more than, like, a boulder, but it’s also fun in an obnoxious way.

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
When San Jose Sharks joined the league top 15 names for the team were (in alphabetical order):

• Blades
  • Breakers
  • Breeze
  • Condors
  • Fog
  • Gold
  • Golden Gaters
  • Golden Skaters
  • Grizzlies
  • Icebreakers
  • Knights
  • Redwoods
  • Sea Lions
  • Sharks
  • Waves

Even though it was 90s back then, I think most of those names would seem ok today.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I really think if I could choose I’d just stick with the Grizzlies and maybe update the colors and logo a bit.

Call if familiarity - but Utah Grizzlies sounds and looks good to me.

Would the ECHL team’s ownership stand in the way of this? Would Smith ever consider buying them and getting them into the AHL so Maverick Center can serve as the local AHL home for the franchise?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I really think if I could choose I’d just stick with the Grizzlies and maybe update the colors and logo a bit.

Call if familiarity - but Utah Grizzlies sounds and looks good to me.

Would the ECHL team’s ownership stand in the way of this? Would Smith ever consider buying them and getting them into the AHL so Maverick Center can serve as the local AHL home for the franchise?
SEG would have to buy them.... and no.... the AHL is set at 32.... since Tucson is Utah's affiliate.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad