Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
images
It's the best looking name there!

I am disappointed there's no dinosaur based name, therefore, all my energy is to support the name the Utah Squall

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Not having Raptors there shows its just a bunch of old people running the show. Utahraptor is popular now and kids will go crazy for the team.

Its not the 90s anymore where the only dinosaurs that existed were in Jurassic Park.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I don’t get them going with just Utah in the first season. Seems like now to October would be enough time to roll out jerseys but I guess not.
I heard they made the strategic mistake of hiring the same sweater shop as the PWHL, who've been waiting for their 6 teams' custom jerseys since last fall. Utah may have to go generic longer than one season. 🗓️

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fan polling in the days of the internet seems questionable. I feel they are locked in on a snow theme. My favorite one of those was Freeze, but I like Outlaws the most overall.

Keep in mind, the Raptors got called the Raptors because of fan polling and Jurassic Park being the run away hit movie of that year and that was the era of mail-in voting I believe. The name ended up working out great and being unique, but these things can easily go side ways.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
NBA : Utah Jazz, NHL : Utah Blues? Oh wait, it's taken. :)

Utah Saints

I got you covered.

Utah Gangsta Rap

In all seriousness, Utah Outlaws is good. The state was home to Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch. And I didn't like Utah Swarm at first (WNBA?) but it will lend itself to a cool team identity and fan identity.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Three quarter of the Utah list is made of singular names, and this new trend of singular names (Kraken, Wild, Avalanche, Lightning) is pure ass.

We already have four of them in the league and that's 4 too many. The league should just say no to that crap.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Mostly good names. Except Squall. WTF is Squall

I really love caribou.

Naturally I voted Squall

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
These are so much worse than I feared. Caribou is the only one I like. Except then I looked it up, and there are no caribou in Utah. LOL

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Mammoths, Yeti, or Hive could work, Hive sounds dumb but could have a cool logo. Don't want Outlaws or really any of the other ones.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Except there are no caribou in Utah. And before anyone says 'well there are no Yeti's there either'; caribou are a real animal that are actually found elsewhere, like across most of the boreal forest and arctic in Canada and Alaska. It makes zero sense to call a team in Utah the Caribou
Are there penguins in Pittsburgh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad