Utah HC plans for Delta Center renovations and downtown SLC getting pushback. [UPD 7/9: SLC approves deal unanimously]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hope they release renderings soon. I’m sure for that much dough they can make the interior of anything look good, but going to have to be damn impressive to worth that chunk of change.

Reactions: sneakytitz

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Crazy how fast SLC can get shit done.
It helps to have a Senate be 79% and House 81% Republican with a Republican Governor. While SLC and SLC County both have Dem mayors, they don't want the team to leave Downtown. Smith has all the leverage because he can easily move both teams out of Downtown to Sandy or Draper and get way more land/flexibility to do what he wants.

Basically anyone in power who is involved in these negotiations/greasing the wheels wants both teams to remain downtown and they are all motivated to continue to grow and develop downtown as the beacon of their vision for Utah at large.

People can kick and scream all they want, but there is little to no risk that any of them get voted out for this. I'm sure there is all kinds of behind the scenes dealings taking place to provide assurances of that as well.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Smith has all the leverage because he can easily move both teams out of Downtown to Sandy or Draper and get way more land/flexibility to do what he wants.
Anything that doesn't involve getting a part of the Olympic honeypot is bluff.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Anything that doesn't involve getting a part of the Olympic honeypot is bluff.
Yeah there is a lot at work here that I'd argue makes this situation a lot easier to manage (to Smiths favor) than maybe other places.

And still, the tax increase in play is so negligible...like an extra $50 on every $10k spent in SLC

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Will they build another arena? if yes, why? they have the Delta center?

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
renovate Delta Center to accommodate hockey but ultimately keep it the long term home of the Jazz

New NHL arena for Olympic hockey

New MLB arena for ski jump stuff

Would the Jazz and the NHL team not play in the same arena?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Would the Jazz and the NHL team not play in the same arena?
yes.... Delta Center isn't like what you're seeing in WPG/EDM/CGY..... where 3 or 4 teams share the arena and the dates..... when SLC did this in 2002, both Delta/Maverik were utilized and suspect that's the case again in 2034 now that SLC has been approved by the IOC

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Now that the NHL and SEG made the move, I’m more curious about the “2nd hockey arena.” The Peaks was a makeshift solution just a few miles from the Utah Valley arena that was theoretically built to accommodate it. But would SLOC go a different direction?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Now that the NHL and SEG made the move, I’m more curious about the “2nd hockey arena.” The Peaks was a makeshift solution just a few miles from the Utah Valley arena that was theoretically built to accommodate it. But would SLOC go a different direction?
it likely will be Maverik, as it was before in '02

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
it likely will be Maverik, as it was before in '02
No. Delta Center hosted figure skating and short track in 2002, while Maverik was hockey #1. I did watch Sweden v Czechia there, after all. That will switch (with the NHL’s urging, I’m sure)… remember that Harding vs Kerrigan was only 8 years prior and figure skating was still riding a wave at the time.

The smaller arena is my question (example: UBC hosted Olympic hockey in 2010). The Peaks is kind of a semi-resort and semi-rec center in Provo that had two ice rinks, one with about 2,000 capacity bleacher seating, plus an indoor soccer rink that was taken over by bleachers for the Olympic competition. Supposedly 8,000 capacity. I have doubts they will do the same thing this time.

There’s another silly option I wasn’t thinking about… Real Salt Lake’s indoor practice facility in the foothills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad