Confirmed with Link: Utah acquires Mikhail Sergachev (TBL) for Conor Geekie, JJ Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th (#199)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I sound like a broken record, but I would rather have too many Dmen than not enough. I wouldn't mind if Dermott came back. Hamonic is on the outs but he just might be another Nemeth. Soda I think hasn't been given up on. Rumours were abound Trouba is on the block. I would rather take Serge than Trouba

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
IMG_2829.png

Attachments

• IMG_2829.png
    IMG_2829.png
    413.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Love
Reactions: Mangosteen

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
A lot of you were disappointed that Geekie was part of the trade going back. Me too.

BA said post draft they had a lot of inquiries about Geekie, so he got what he felt was the most value

Reactions: DustyDangler

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Got to think and talk about this all day now. Here's where I'm at.

We needed a Sergachev for so many reasons. I think it's very important to have one of our top defenseman locked in at his 8m cap hit for 6 more years. This is going to be important for BA in a forecasting perspective and ensure he doesn't overpay all out forwards before locking up top defensemen. I think Toronto fell into this trap where the got the big names locked up and then looked around and realized there is no coin for the d-core.

We all agreed Hanifin would have been great to help develop the defensemen as they came up. Well now we got a Russian defenseman around the same quality who is younger and may not have hit his ceiling. This is a guy who has never been the true #1 option yet. There's room for more.

The major concern to me is moving Geekie. That part stings because no it feels like its Cooley and Hayton or bust down the middle. Yes, we have other prospects at center but none at the quality Geekie was at. But you have to pay to get so I understand why he was necessary. It's too bad it wasn't a guy like Maccelli or But instead because of our depth at wing. But I think Sergachev is way too valuable to worry about what we could have had with Geekie

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
A friend of mine sent me a text that Utah acquired Sergachev earlier in the day. I didn't know Geekie was included in this and now I don't know how I feel about this trade.
I hope Ryan Smith is leaving these decisions to BA.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Well, BA and staff, along with the AHL staff have a pretty good clue in what they had in Geekie. Obviously they really liked him a couple years ago but things may have changed and they don't see him as a middle 6 center in the NHL.
Sergachev fits the big mobile Dman mold BA wants and maybe help out Duda and Simashev down the road. Losing JJ kinda stings though.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Well, BA and staff, along with the AHL staff have a pretty good clue in what they had in Geekie. Obviously they really liked him a couple years ago but things may have changed and they don't see him as a middle 6 center in the NHL.
Sergachev fits the big mobile Dman mold BA wants and maybe help out Duda and Simashev down the road. Losing JJ kinda stings though.
You mentioned Duda, have you spotted him?

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Don't like it because Moser is already close to where Sergachev is currently and is better defensively. Utah already has enough offense. Sergachev brings offense, at worst very bad D and at best decent D, and is primarily a PP QB. Even if he gets back to his form 2 years ago Utah don't have the kind of D to shelter him unless Simashev or Sergachev somehow learn to play their off sides better. Sergachev wasn't particularly good at that.

Would've much rather given this up for Andersson who is legit on both sides of the ice and only a year older if they wanted to make this type of deal. Don't like losing Moser at all. Geekie and the picks are whatever but Moser still had top pairing potential and was often Arizona's best player.
I liked Moser as well, but he is never going to be a top pairing guy. He had struggles last year trying to do just that. What scares me is that Tampa is damn good at knowing when to trade and who to trade at the right time. Sergachev brings with him a hefty contract as well. This deal helps both teams on what they are trying to do.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We needed a Sergachev for so many reasons. I think it's very important to have one of our top defenseman locked in at his 8m cap hit for 6 more years. This is going to be important for BA in a forecasting perspective and ensure he doesn't overpay all out forwards before locking up top defensemen. I think Toronto fell into this trap where the got the big names locked up and then looked around and realized there is no coin for the d-core.

We all agreed Hanifin would have been great to help develop the defensemen as they came up. Well now we got a Russian defenseman around the same quality who is younger and may not have hit his ceiling. This is a guy who has never been the true #1 option yet. There's room for more.

The major concern to me is moving Geekie. That part stings because no it feels like its Cooley and Hayton or bust down the middle. Yes, we have other prospects at center but none at the quality Geekie was at. But you have to pay to get so I understand why he was necessary. It's too bad it wasn't a guy like Maccelli or But instead because of our depth at wing. But I think Sergachev is way too valuable to worry about what we could have had with Geekie
Sergachev is a damn good player, still young with two SC rings. He was a big part of Tampa winning those two cups. Has a big contract but is locked up long term so that shouldn't be a problem if he gets back to his play before his injury. You have to give to get.

Reactions: DustyDangler

ALA YotesPhan

Jul 2, 2002
Nothern Alabama
Visit site

Agree it is a concern to lose Geekie, but the flaw in Geekie was always about inconsistent effort.
Cole Beaudoin, who we moved up to draft in the first is the opposite of that flaw, all reports are that he has the "best motor" and gives full effort all the time.
Which of those two personalities does GMBA strive for?

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
What scares me is that Tampa is damn good at knowing when to trade and who to trade at the right time.
Agree to disagree here Jake. Looking at the Jeannott acquisition and disposition as well as the McDonagh disposition and acquisition it appears TB is somewhat more reactive than proactive.
Having said that concerns over Sergachev's injuries is certainly well founded.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Neither am I. Lots of forward talent in the pipeline.
Yup. Imo we traded a borderline maybe eventual 2C for a current borderline top pairing D on a probably reasonable contract. Tampa frees up space to sign Stammer or maybe Guentzel, and Geekie's better than any of their current prospects.

Both these teams make this trade every time. Love this trade for both teams

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Aaand... Tampa just traded for Guentzel. So for them --

Sergachev for Geekie, Moser, Guentzel and a draft pick. I'd say that's a pretty good return on their side. I like it for Utah as well, we had enough forwards, Serg's already a borderline top pair (signed long term on what should be a fair contract), before this offseason team was relatively weak on defense.

Pretty cool to see both teams win a trade. Hope this sort of thing continues to happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad