Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Given this is Mercer's 4th year, we probably have to assume at least to start, that he bounces back to being a top 6 forward.

Still have one opening, but you can probably play Palat up though I think a 3rd line of Palat-Haula-Noesen could be a very good shut-down line that could be productive offensively as well.

Perhaps you give Foote a legit look and add a 4th liner as well to start and look to upgrade later in the year.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I’m not thrilled that we overpaid Dillon but the Kings made me feel better.

If we missed out on Dillon, and gave 4 years/3.85m to Joel Edmundson, I might have curled up and died.

He’s a defensive defenseman who sucks at defense. I wouldn’t want him on the team for four minutes.
Dillons deal is okay for two years. After that Silayev will join Devils, Fitz will decide who is better- Siegs or Dillon and will make what he should make.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
For what his role will be, Dillon is likely overpaid, but again it's the price of free agency for a player who supposedly had a strong market. If you want the player, sometimes you have to overpay. And I think he'll fill his role perfectly fine while Silayev develops in the KHL and potentially the AHL when he transitions over here.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Given this is Mercer's 4th year, we probably have to assume at least to start, that he bounces back to being a top 6 forward.

Still have one opening, but you can probably play Palat up though I think a 3rd line of Palat-Haula-Noesen could be a very good shut-down line that could be productive offensively as well.

Perhaps you give Foote a legit look and add a 4th liner as well to start and look to upgrade later in the year.
If its 4/4,5 for four years - its good price for Mercer even if he will be 40-45 points player on the third line.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
1719931091227.jpeg

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Getting another top 6 guy and having the 3rd line you mentioned would be awesome. Palat-Haula-Noesen looks like a very solid 3rd line imo.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Mercer has a longer track record of looking good than bad.

Yes, he had a pretty bad year, but so did pretty much everyone (non-rookies) not named Bratt, Hischier, Lazar, 1/2 of Jack’s year, 1/2 of Meier’s year.

I have faith he can have a bounce back.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If its 4/4,5 for four years - its good price for Mercer even if he will be 40-45 points player on the third line.
I suspect we likely bridge Mercer for 2-3 years in order to keep his cap hit down. I think you either go 2-3 years to 6-8 years.

Though we will likely need to find some savings on the cap which is why I think he gets a bridge.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I suspect we likely bridge Mercer for 2-3 years in order to keep his cap hit down. I think you either go 2-3 years to 6-8 years.

Though we will likely need to find some savings on the cap which is why I think he gets a bridge.
I see different directions. But people should slow down expectations about his trade. We dont have a lot of offensive prospects. Gritsyuk and may be Lenny looks like NHLers now.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I understand his negatives, I liked him as a player and he had a rocket of a shot. Might not be the best fit but I would find it hard to be upset seeing him in a Devils jersey again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad