Confirmed Trade: [UTA/TBL] Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I love it. They’re going all in on the years they have left with this core. Sergachev is a talented offensive defenseman, but even at 2nd pairing comp, is poor defensively. He wasn’t a fit with his 8.5M contract.

Moser is very underrated, and while lacking size, is a very good skater and defender. Still quite young and his potential is to be a Forsling type.

I’m not a fan of Geekie personally, but his floor should be a Strome type.

If they go shopping up front and add another defenseman like Pesce, they are legit contenders again. Vasy behind a strong d-core is a Vezina calibre goalie again.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Sergachev was TB's best d-man two seasons ago, and has only gotten better and better every single year of his NHL career until he was hit by 2 big injuries back to back. He is a #1, don't listen to these fools saying he can't play defense. As of now he is the best player on Utah, and his contract is perfectly reasonable for a mid 20's dman with the all tools he has. Hoping he stays healthy, Utah is lucky to have him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I love it. They’re going all in on the years they have left with this core. Sergachev is a talented offensive defenseman, but even at 2nd pairing comp, is poor defensively. He wasn’t a fit with his 8.5M contract.

Moser is very underrated, and while lacking size, is a very good skater and defender. Still quite young and his potential is to be a Forsling type.

I’m not a fan of Geekie personally, but his floor should be a Strome type.

If they go shopping up front and add another defenseman like Pesce, they are legit contenders again. Vasy behind a strong d-core is a Vezina calibre goalie again.
This is about getting cap space, not because Sergachev didn’t fit in Tampa.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Sergachev was TB's best d-man two seasons ago, and has only gotten better and better every single year of his NHL career until he was hit by 2 big injuries back to back. He is a #1, don't listen to these fools saying he can't play defense. As of now he is the best player on Utah, and his contract is perfectly reasonable for a mid 20's dman with the all tools he has. Hoping he stays healthy, Utah is lucky to have him.
Have to agree with you, TB traded him because they desperately needed cap space. Great move for Utah, and Sergachev can now help groom Simashev when he comes over.

Reactions: Prestigeworldwide

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I was worried Utah was going to try to contend right away, which I don't think is a good strategy when you consider the juggernauts in the Western Conference at the moment

Salt Lake City is a basketball town... they understand tanking in order to build through the draft

I think they should've sold off players like Keller, Crouse, Ingram, and Schmaltz, and dove head-first into the next few lotteries

Anyways, I like this trade for Tampa

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I've wanted Sergachev moved for the last year. Fantastic return. Couldn't be happier.

Now they finally have enough money to offer Stamkos the bucks he deserves. Assuming they haven't pissed him off with that lowball offer that is rumoured.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
You don't think it's absurd that you measure his value as either being a top ten D in the league or an anchor?

You're missing a lot of space in between those two extremes.
Not at all. Because we were discussing the contract. Which is not a good one. IMO. I think it's a bad contract. I'm not a huge Sergachev fan. I think this was a poor trade by Utah, and a very good one by Tampa Bay.

Those are my opinions. I could certainly be wrong, but I wouldn't want that player on that contract. Cheers!

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I've wanted Sergachev moved for the last year. Fantastic return. Couldn't be happier.

Now they finally have enough money to offer Stamkos the bucks he deserves. Assuming they haven't pissed him off with that lowball offer that is rumoured.
So you're happy losing a 26 year old stud on D for a 35 year old forward? Yikes

• Haha
Reactions: aylib and Aoko

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
So you're happy losing a 26 year old stud on D for a 35 year old forward? Yikes
So you didn't watch Sergachev after his injuries? You didn't watch the 35 year old forward last year either? Go take a nap, gramps. It's past your bedtime.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00