USMNT Thread Part VIII

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Dike needs to play and then re-assess. He played through the summer injured, and then you saw his value decrease. He was receiving interest from better clubs months ago. Why go to a bad team that’s a bad fit when your value is lowest? He’s a good player. He can build up his value again, and then move. That could be in January or next summer. He will have offers either window.

Reactions: Basement Cat

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Pulisic didnt travel will the team so he wont play tomorrow night against El Salvador. Probably for the best he hadnt practiced for 2 weeks, wasnt going to play all 3 games so having one in El Salvador where he will probably be kicked 50 times isn't the best idea.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Absolutely freaking buzzin' for tomorrow! I'm firmly of the belief that this summer was the start of something special for the USMNT that will culminate in the country making a serious run at home in WC'2026. This octagonal round will be difficult - there will be lots of pressure to start out strong or else the 2018 WCQ ghosts will loom large. I'm expecting 7 points with a win tomorrow, win against Canada and a draw at Honduras.

Let's goooo boys!!!

Reactions: kingsboy11

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Most of the American players that were expected to move this window did. The few that didnt.

- Reggie Cannon: Reports are a loan to Fulham with an option to buy fell through because paperwork wasnt done in time. I think its okay he spends another year at Boavista. He got plenty of playing time last year.
- Dike: Rumors are he is headed to West Brom in January
- Cole Bassett: Rumored to turn down a move to Benfica (where he would train with first team and play with B team to start). Right decision by him

I thought the problem with Cannon was that Boavista legitimately couldn't register him to play?

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I thought the problem with Cannon was that Boavista legitimately couldn't register him to play?

Don’t think so. I think the issue was registering new players. Rumors when cannon went there it was only for the season and he was going to Lille, but ownership/management? Changed in Lille and it didn’t happen.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

Seems like a predatory cap tie call up. Has scored in his last 2 games. 4 total goals this season.

I know US has "won" its fair share of dual nationals in recent memory, but it seems like Mexico especially is going hard for any potential US players. Ricardo Pepi is the big one for me, rumors swirly that Mexico is promising some of these dual nationals the moon (ie you will be on the world cup squad) to get switches from the US to Mexico. I think he should be called up because he is frankly the most in form US striker in the MLS.

robinson is leaving Chile’s camp and won’t play in any of there games this window as he considers his international allegiance.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Did any more come out regarding this? I'm wondering if he wasn't received warmly by some of the other players.

The only thing I saw this morning is a quote from someone on the team that language barrier was an issue, comparing him to Ben Brereton who also didn't speak Spanish but is more outgoing. The player than said they need to do more to help him get integrated in the future. Mentioned only a couple of the players/staff speak English. Ben isnt in camp. Didnt see any quotes from the players or staff other than they would want to bring him back. But media/fans arent happy with him. (cant say i wouldnt be the same if for example Pepi decided to fly back to Dallas last night and say he was thinking about his options). Then a couple rumors reported: he was originally told he would play tomorrow, when he was told he wasn't he left; and US staff was texting him while he was at camp.

Interesting, even though he was on the gold cup prelim roster I dont think he is in line for a US call up immediately. But he is a striker in the MLS, so if those guys get on a good run of goals they always have a chance.

Last edited:

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

rumors were Brooks may get rested. Yedlin is a safe pick. Ream, uhh, but not unexpected with no other vets really in the lineup. So only one “bad” choice. Konrad getting a big chance. curios if it’s aaronson or Reyna in the middle.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I understand not playing Brooks, but Ream just isn't it. With Dest being left back today he's going to leave Ream exposed, so Adams is going to have to cover for Dest a lot tonight.

Reactions: GabeTravels

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
They work so well together and best of all, I think the players really open up with them. Such a breath of fresh air vs Lalas’ style (who I hate much less than most do).

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Konrad and Dest and the same side seems like a waste. Don’t need Dest over there when Konrad can do the same. And yedlin doesn’t really offer that on the other side.

Decent first half.

Reactions: luiginb

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Adams, Konrad and Robinson looked up to the task in that half.

Dest was probably the worst player for us that half. Defending was poor and even on the ball he looks shaky. Ream actually held his own pretty well so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad