USMNT Thread Part VIII

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Guessing the roster gets announced tomorrow. Rumors are starting to trickle in. Araujo called up again by US but declining call up (he has not been called up by Mexico). Also, Lletget called up. But that is a given with Berhalter.

Dont blame Araujo for taking his time. In the US depending on your rating of players he could be anywhere from 2nd to 5th on your right back depth chart.
Don’t blame him but also feel like Dest has to play LB for USMNT which would open RB for him. Who knows though

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Don’t blame him but also feel like Dest has to play LB for USMNT which would open RB for him. Who knows though

Or Reynolds or Scally, both of which are already at decent size European clubs.

Not counting Cannon, but who knows what’s going on there…

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Sounds like Pepi is potentially gonna be called up by both Mexico and US this week and he will make his decision as soon as tomorrow.

edit: US roster releasing tomorrow at 11:30 am eastern

Last edited:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
It seems Pepi picked the US.

And there is an American journalist saying Mexico lol.

That said, I’m torn if the Pepsi’s/Gomez’/kinda Arujo’s start to go Mexico.

Cause it would be great to laugh at my Mexican friends how half their team is American/came from MLS.

But US really needs a striker and a LB soooo losing Pepi/Gomez would hurt.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yeah him being on the roster doesn't officially means he's committed to us. I mean I think its a good sign, but its asking a lot for an 18 to make that kind of decision when both countries are extremely interested in having him.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah him being on the roster doesn't officially means he's committed to us. I mean I think its a good sign, but its asking a lot for an 18 to make that kind of decision when both countries are extremely interested in having him.
You don’t accept a roster call up unless you’re willing to be cap tied.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think he’ll play for us for a number of reasons. One of them is probably political so not allowed to mention it. We also have an open spot at #9. It’s there for somebody to take it and I think this will be made clear.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
You don’t accept a roster call up unless you’re willing to be cap tied.

Not that he isnt fully committed, but because of the rules and since he is under 21 even if he plays all 3 games this window he wouldn't be cap tied. Though i dont remember anyone playing a competitive game for US and then switching to Mexico.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
whats with mexico trying to poach all of our players these days. ligamx not producing any talent these days?

I think its a combination of a few things. With MLS teams actually having academies now, a lot of kids are getting the opportunity that they wouldn't have 10-15 years ago. Especially Mexican-American kids, guys like Pepe probably would have signed with Liga MX teams when they were 16 instead of sticking with MLS academies closer to home. And Tata Martino has had no issue with going outside of the Mexican system to get players. Even playing naturalized citizens like Funes Mori (which is not something Mexico has done alot of in the past).

And our players are better now, you could argue position by position but Mexico and USA are so close in terms of quality that someone who is good enough to be in the player pool for one country is good enough to be in the pool for the other.

Reactions: ecemleafs

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
The roster, not alot of midfield so either a back 5 or only 4-2-3-1. Pepi first call up. Konrad also called up, him playing and looking good for Marseille.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 7/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 23/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 7/0)

DEFENDERS (10): George Bello (Atlanta United; 3/0), John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 43/3), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 11/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 6/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 45/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 12/0), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 9/3), James Sands (New York City FC; 6/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 64/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 17/2)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 37/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 14/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 29/7), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 24/7), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 25/0)

FORWARDS (8): Brenden Aaronson (RB Salzburg/AUT; 7/3), Konrad de la Fuente (Olympique Marseille/FRA; 1/0), Jordan Pefok (BSC Young Boys/SUI; 6/1), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 38/16), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 8/4), Josh Sargent (Norwich City/ENG; 16/5), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 13/1)

Those not included that may be a suprise
- Chris Richards (hasnt really played in a while, probably moving in the next week. I am okay with it)
- Reggie Cannon (hasnt played since the Gold Cup, probably moving this week)
- Hoppe (same as Cannon)
- Dike (hasnt played since Gold Cup, injured and or moving soon)
- Julian Green (back in the Bundesliga, was one of the better players leading his team to promotion. I think he needs to be brought back into the fold)
- Vines (i prefer Bello, they are close enough to take the guy who has been playing regularly and inst settling into a new club)
- Musah (just returned to training from injury, okay to keep him where he is)
- Busio (just moved)
- Williamson (a bit disappointed to not see him called, i do wonder if there is a possibility of changes after the 2nd game)

Surprise inclusions
- Lletget (was a given even if he isnt playing particularly well with the Galaxy, i think he is the only player to be callled up by Berhalter every time)
- Roldan (hasnt been great for the US in the past, but is playing well for Seattle, probably off the bench like he was in Gold Cup)
- Ream (looked slowwww against Mexico, but has been playing for Fulham)

All and all probably cant have too many complaints about the roster.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@kingsboy11, Ream is my biggest takeaway once again, given Holden announced the Pepi call up yesterday. Is there anything Ream could do to not be on the list? This is like an NHL coach keeping an AHL plug on the team for years, even though everyone knows he can’t play anymore. Is there anything that Ream could do to not be on the eventual World Cup list?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@kingsboy11, Ream is my biggest takeaway once again, given Holden announced the Pepi call up yesterday. Is there anything Ream could do to not be on the list? This is like an NHL coach keeping an AHL plug on the team for years, even though everyone knows he can’t play anymore. Is there anything that Ream could do to not be on the eventual World Cup list?
Every manager has one I guess.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not that he isnt fully committed, but because of the rules and since he is under 21 even if he plays all 3 games this window he wouldn't be cap tied. Though i dont remember anyone playing a competitive game for US and then switching to Mexico.
Well yeah, but my point remains. You don't accept a call up like that unless you're willing to commit. Now, if things change in the next couple years and he's 5th choice or something, then the calculus changes, but if he's 5th choice, then we're going to be alright

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
whats with mexico trying to poach all of our players these days. ligamx not producing any talent these days?

They've done it for a while now, it's just more of the players were further down the roster, and on youth teams, more so than players who might be closer to actually playing for a national side.

the US will take whomever they can get as well. Neither side is really good enough to let talented players (who could get better, maybe even a lot better, and at a skill position, like Pepi) walk away and play for someone else without putting a bit of an effort in.

There are other factors. For one thing, the US development is better right now. There are a lot of hungry, talented young players who combine the old US hard work and physical abilities, with some new flair and skill (and some technical ability[though with some that's a debate]).For Mexico, who has always had that flair and skill, it would make sense to try and recapture players. Obviously, the Americans are doing much better with development, and that glut of talent does leave a few options that might see a better path (Ochoa for example, rightly sees a path to the Mexican goalkeeper spot he might not for the US). The US are developing more players, but additionally, their cycle is starting with a lot of these players. Additionally, looking at the Mexican side as well, there's a number of aging players, along with some spots that are bit more available. For the USMNT, many of their talented players are likely going to be in a 4-6 year cycle, at least, with younger ones coming in as well. For Mexico, a lot of who they generally play might age out sooner rather than later.

Expanding more on Pepi, he plays a skill position that both national teams still need, or could use in their pool, so he was always going to be a player both teams want. As for where he goes? Who knows. I would be happy to get him for the USMNT, but it's not the end of the world.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They've done it for a while now, it's just more of the players were further down the roster, and on youth teams, more so than players who might be closer to actually playing for a national side.

the US will take whomever they can get as well. Neither side is really good enough to let talented players (who could get better, maybe even a lot better, and at a skill position, like Pepi) walk away and play for someone else without putting a bit of an effort in.

There are other factors. For one thing, the US development is better right now. There are a lot of hungry, talented young players who combine the old US hard work and physical abilities, with some new flair and skill (and some technical ability[though with some that's a debate]).For Mexico, who has always had that flair and skill, it would make sense to try and recapture players. Obviously, the Americans are doing much better with development, and that glut of talent does leave a few options that might see a better path (Ochoa for example, rightly sees a path to the Mexican goalkeeper spot he might not for the US). The US are developing more players, but additionally, their cycle is starting with a lot of these players. Additionally, looking at the Mexican side as well, there's a number of aging players, along with some spots that are bit more available. For the USMNT, many of their talented players are likely going to be in a 4-6 year cycle, at least, with younger ones coming in as well. For Mexico, a lot of who they generally play might age out sooner rather than later.

Expanding more on Pepi, he plays a skill position that both national teams still need, or could use in their pool, so he was always going to be a player both teams want. As for where he goes? Who knows. I would be happy to get him for the USMNT, but it's not the end of the world.

To expand... the bulk of the US roster going forward is not even yet at their peak. They're a young side that should have at least a cycle or two together. They did call in a few vets, but likely some of those players will be out of the picture soon.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

The only reason I could possibly see is he's just there to be a vet guy. Given the absurd number of centerbacks that we brought I just can't see him getting any sort of game time.

I can be unhappy about other guys like Roldan and Yedlin being on there, but I'm just thrilled that Yuiell isn't involved anymore. What a waste of a spot he was and at least Berhalter recognized that

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Champions League draw for American's (Richards probably the only one that will not get games, assuming he moves) I'd love to know the comparison to this from 5 years ago. Who was it then, Pulisic only probably?

Group A: * Manchester City (Steffen) * Paris Saint-Germain * RB Leipzig (Marsch, Adams) * Club Brugge (Otasowie)
Group C: * Sporting CP * Borussia Dortmund (Reyna) * Ajax * Besiktas
Group E: * Bayern Munich (Richards) * Barcelona (Dest) * Benfica * Dynamo Kiev
Group F: * Villarreal * Manchester United * Atalanta * Young Boys (Pefok)
Group G: * Lille (Weah) * Sevilla * Salzburg (Aaronson) * Wolfsburg (Brooks)
Group H: * Chelsea (Pulisic) * Juventus (McKennie) * Zenit * Malmo (Gall)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00