USA U-20 Evaluation Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
USA U20's at Lake Placid

I'll have a complete report later. However, here are some initial impressions (I have been at all the sessions, both practices and games). The best teams BY FAR are the USA Blue and the USA White. The FINS have been (barely) competitive, and the SWEDES have been completely outplayed. Both USA teams have better speed and better scoring. There have been some surprises, both in terms of players over- and under-performing. I'll have more on this subject later -- after the games on the large ice surface F/SA. However, I'm afraid they will be more lopsided than the games already played on the back, smaller rink (NHL rink). There were some players "traded between USA Blue and USA White teams before the morning skate on Thursday. Bourque and Schremp from USA Blue to USA White and Ryan and Kolarik from USA White to USA Blue. More on specific USA players after the F/SA games.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Cerebral said:
Any comments on Chorney would be greatly appreciated. He's had a two assists so far in two games, how has he looked?

A friend of mine is in Lake Placid and he specifically mentioned that Chorney looked great. He said he was so impressed that he wouldn't be surprised to see him make this team.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Chorney must have some terrific attributes to be drafted #36 overall as a 5'11" defenseman. There are a few examples of successful defensemen that size, but teams don't usually burn a pick that high on someone that small.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jake1 said:
Chorney must have some terrific attributes to be drafted #36 overall as a 5'11" defenseman. There are a few examples of successful defensemen that size, but teams don't usually burn a pick that high on someone that small.

He has great skill and hockey sense which certainly helps. Brian Rafalski is really the benchmark for that style of D-man and I think Chorney can have a similar impact. I too think he could make the WJC team.

hameenlinna

Aug 10, 2005
FREE DENTAL CARE said:
I'll have a complete report later. However, here are some initial impressions (I have been at all the sessions, both practices and games). The best teams BY FAR are the USA Blue and the USA White. The FINS have been (barely) competitive, and the SWEDES have been completely outplayed. Both USA teams have better speed and better scoring. There have been some surprises, both in terms of players over- and under-performing. I'll have more on this subject later -- after the games on the large ice surface F/SA. However, I'm afraid they will be more lopsided than the games already played on the back, smaller rink (NHL rink). There were some players "traded between USA Blue and USA White teams before the morning skate on Thursday. Bourque and Schremp from USA Blue to USA White and Ryan and Kolarik from USA White to USA Blue. More on specific USA players after the F/SA games.

Please evaluate the Finnish team's members too if you can.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
jake1 said:

size is the most overated factor when looking at a player. if you have talent, youll find a way to get it done. 5 of the best defensemen ever that i can think of off the top of my head are under 6 feet, (coffey, housley, leetch, ray bourque, denis potvin) they had talent so they got it done despite being "undersized".

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
hameenlinna said:
Please evaluate the Finnish team's members too if you can.

are these the swedish and finnish wjc teams? because the usa is dominating both, and they still have to make 1 team out of the 2. either usa hockey is really progressing, or these two countries are regressing.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Spectacular_Bid said:
A friend of mine is in Lake Placid and he specifically mentioned that Chorney looked great. He said he was so impressed that he wouldn't be surprised to see him make this team.
Very good to hear! I've never even see the kid play but I have a good feeling about him for some reason. Would a smaller Jordan Leopold be a good potential projection for him if everything goes right?

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
are these the swedish and finnish wjc teams? because the usa is dominating both, and they still have to make 1 team out of the 2. either usa hockey is really progressing, or these two countries are regressing.
I can only speak of the swedish team. The two best offensive forwards are missing, Bäckström and Salmonsson. Bergfors is however on the team though, and i rank him personally the highest. I suspect there will be some major changes to the JWC-team yes. But still we won´t have a very strong roster this year either. But next year i believe we will. Our 87s did win bronze in U18 WC and did beat Canada(who of course lacked a lot of talent, but still!), the swedish team did also lack two of their top centers in Wandell and Sundström who was injured throughout the whole season.

But USA has their strongest agegroups in years, and should beat both Sweden and Finland easily, so im not surprised at all. They should maybe be considered as the nr1 favourite to win the JWC?

And also, the swedish team, had only two days together before the departure to the states. Last year the swedish 85s won the tournament, and was undeafeted througout the tournament. So i dont know how much stock i would put in this pre-season-tournament, regarding the swedish and finnish team.
The conclusion is however that the US-team will be a sure contender for the gold medal.

Towelie*

An Ape called Yoko said:
I can only speak of the swedish team. The two best offensive forwards are missing, Bäckström and Salmonsson. Bergfors is however on the team though, and i rank him personally the highest. I suspect there will be some major changes to the JWC-team yes. But still we won´t have a very strong roster this year either. But next year i believe we will. Our 87s did win bronze in U18 WC and did beat Canada(who of course lacked a lot of talent, but still!), the swedish team did also lack two of their top centers in Wandell and Sundström who was injured throughout the whole season.

But USA has their strongest agegroups in years, and should beat both Sweden and Finland easily, so im not surprised at all. They should maybe be considered as the nr1 favourite to win the JWC?

And also, the swedish team, had only two days together before the departure to the states. Last year the swedish 85s won the tournament, and was undeafeted througout the tournament. So i dont know how much stock i would put in this pre-season-tournament, regarding the swedish and finnish team.
The conclusion is however that the US-team will be a sure contender for the gold medal.

Hows Edler looking, if he is playing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Maltais Falcon said:
Jordan LaVallee has two goals and an assist in two games for the U.S. Blue squad. Anyone think he has a realistic shot at making the team?

I think he does. He's a big guy that does everything well. He'd look fantastic on the third line.

LazyCamel2000

Jul 16, 2004
Call me crazy but that second goal from wheeler looked alot like something Pavel Bure would pull off. :bow: (fake backhand go forehand) :bow:

Oh and split the D!!! :yo:

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
LazyCamel2000 said:
Call me crazy but that second goal from wheeler looked alot like something Pavel Bure would pull off. :bow: (fake backhand go forehand) :bow:

Oh and split the D!!! :yo:

Your not crazy at all.......it is what it is !

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Make it 6-0. The US has outscored the Finns and Swedes 30 to 6. Shots are 236 to 176.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
jake1 said:

Agreed, I wasn't too high on his selection as there were other players that I preferred. But if the initial reports are correct, I could warm up to his selection!!! :sarcasm: :)

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
orangeandblack said:
are these the swedish and finnish wjc teams?

Finland is missing Rask, Tukonen, Nokelainen (don't know why) and Laakso (dislocated his shoulder two days before leaving for the camp). Might be missing someone else, too, but those are the obvious ones.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Comfortably Numb said:
Hows Edler looking, if he is playing.
He hasn´t been selected for the national team yet, which is a bit weird if you ask me. He is probably the defenseman with the best offensive game born 86 in Sweden. Bendelin (coach) obviously doesn´t like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad