USA U-20 Evaluation Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wildwilly said:
Does anyone think Keith Yandle can make this team. Played on the under 18 championship team that won it a few years back. Had the best +/- for defenseman. Has he dropped off that much? Or would it take a great camp plus a good first half with the blackbears? Just wondering

Yandle is certainly in the mix, although with the depth of the U.S. squad, it might be difficult to make the team. That's the situation for alot of these guys.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Plager05 said:
Oshie I think will make it. I trust Kek, and Oshie is actually 5'11 180, not the 5'10 170 listed. He put on the weight since the end of his season and it's one of the reasons the Blues picked him.

Who would Oshie displace? I like his skillset and what not, but to be effective he's going to have to play on a scoring line and IMO there are better options.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Rabid Ranger said:
I agree with alot of what you say. First of all, it's almost unheard of for players eligible to return to not make the team. That would mean everyone that was on the team last year, including Weller and Hagemo are likely on the roster.

USA did not take players back one or two years in the late 90's, i dont think weller deserves to be on the team, but i kinda have the feeling he will be.

it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. they have a great pool to choose from, lets hope they get it right. btw, did anyone get a chance to see the camp, who looked good?

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I just saw the box scores from the first U.S. scrimages. Doesn't look like any one player really tore it up. Wheeler had 2 goals for the Blue team and Foligno had a goal and an assist for the White team. Joensuu had 2 goals for Finland. Sweden was shut out.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Were can I find the box scores? And are there any movies, pictures etc... on this camp? Interesting to see Wheeler scoring 2.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
topshelf331 said:
See Blake Wheeler

agreed but the USHL is much stronger than Minnesota H.S. Wheeler had 19 goals and 28 assists in 58 games for Green Bay last year. He needs to keep scoring goals and he needs to use his big body effectively to make this team. If he does those two things, I think he has a good shot.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Spectacular_Bid said:
agreed but the USHL is much stronger than Minnesota H.S. Wheeler had 19 goals and 28 assists in 58 games for Green Bay last year. He needs to keep scoring goals and he needs to use his big body effectively to make this team. If he does those two things, I think he has a good shot.

I know they were just highlights, but Wheeler showed his immense raw talent in the goal scoring highlights. He'll be on this team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mobey said:
I know they were just highlights, but Wheeler showed his immense raw talent in the goal scoring highlights. He'll be on this team.

He looked monstrous out there! Reminded me of Rick Nash a bit.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
He looked monstrous out there! Reminded me of Rick Nash a bit.

6'4 215 pounds.....He is huge and just beginning to put it all together. I believe he has gained approx 25 pounds since he was drafted 1 year ago. This kids upside is off the charts. He showed great acceleration/hands on his second goal....the game winner.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Joe d said:
6'4 215 pounds.....He is huge and just beginning to put it all together. I believe he has gained approx 25 pounds since he was drafted 1 year ago. This kids upside is off the charts. He showed great acceleration/hands on his second goal....the game winner.

Yeah, he showed a nice extra gear to get away from the defense. He looked strong. I fully expect him to make the WJC team and have a good year at Minnesota.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
there were some nice goals, they have some big bodies that can really do some damage in close and on rebounds. folignos goal was nice with alot of hustle behind it. wheelers unassisted goal was dirty, and ryan and skillies goals from the corners to the front were awesome. this is a tough team to pick. it makes me wonder why they just dont broadcast the whole game if they are going to provide goal hilights?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It looks like the US teams are dominating this thing. They're a combined 4-0 while outscoring the Swedes and Finns 22-4.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I noticed Weller's having a productive camp. My main knock on him is lack of offense, but perhaps that side of his game has improved?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Plager05 said:
Is Oshie even playing? =/. I want to watch someone from the Blues if the WJC's are gonna be on ESPN again.

If ESPN doesn't have the NHL,it is very likely ESPN will not carry the WJC

Maybe OLN will pick the U.S. games considering they could use the programming

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
orangeandblack said:
there were some nice goals, they have some big bodies that can really do some damage in close and on rebounds. folignos goal was nice with alot of hustle behind it. wheelers unassisted goal was dirty, and ryan and skillies goals from the corners to the front were awesome. this is a tough team to pick. it makes me wonder why they just dont broadcast the whole game if they are going to provide goal hilights?

Foligno's was damn nice, he looks like a definite player. Coming off the faceoff to muscle through two guys and emerge to finish it off like that was plush. Can anyone say top 10?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Balej's Dance said:
Foligno's was damn nice, he looks like a definite player. Coming off the faceoff to muscle through two guys and emerge to finish it off like that was plush. Can anyone say top 10?

His game really started to take off in the OHL playoffs. It will be interesting to see what kind of year he has this season.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Man as a Canadian I'm really looking forward to watching the single most dynamic player in the WJC last year in Phil Kessel again. Now I'm usually knocking USA hockey, as a Canadian it's my duty, but wow am I ever a fan of Kessel. Honestly the whole team looks like it will be really solid, and it's awesome that the level of play is increasing. Should be some very nice competition going on, USA hockey is certainly becoming a force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad