Confirmed with Link: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen Signed for 5 years 4.75 AAV

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009

This is what I mean. And why I’d have gone five years all day long. If Levi emerges as a star…it almost certainly won’t get him paid big money in the next couple of years just based on opportunity. Which means for the next few years you have two legit chances at good to great goalies on a reasonable total dollar. And as long as UPL doesn’t have three terrible years in a row…you’ll be able to move him easy when Levi has to get paid. They have a very good medium term goalie situation and can worry about what to do about it later if they both play well. This doesnt put Levi in an Askarov spot with a proven stud locked in forever. It puts the organization in position to have two legit shots at having a strong 1 for a long time. I believe Levi will be the better goalie in the end. But now I can get him plenty of starts in Rochester for another year and then start moving towards that Boston model if I’m right. Maybe not 50/50 after this year…but it could definitely happen after two. And then you make financial choices if you have to. And you’re covered as much as possible if you don’t. And after three years If Levi is the man and can’t be denied? He’ll only be UPLs age NOW. He’s stupid young and now there is no more misguided need to throw him in deep water.

Pegula only reading the first part and screaming in joy

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Very happy this didn't turn into Ullmark part II. It's an easily tradable contract, and there is of course the potential that he's worth keeping as the #1, and Levi ends up trade bait. Either way, when your guys deserve a long-term deal, you give it to them and let the rest take care of itself.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
1721869007640.png

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'm imagining Luukkonen making a big stop on a breakaway in the playoffs this year and the new roof nearly comes off with the "LUUUUUUUUK" pop

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I feel like the few times he got lit up last year the team played god awful in front of him. At this point I think if he sees the puck he'll stop it, outside of deflections of course.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I feel like the few times he got lit up last year the team played god awful in front of him. At this point I think if he sees the puck he'll stop it, outside of deflections of course.
His first handful of starts (Colorado SO notwithstanding) were a bit rough, and some of it was on him.

But after that CBJ debacle which SHOULD have gotten Granato fired, he was an absolute stud.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
He stopped wildly going across the crease last year, there was a time or two but really cleaned that up.
That was the moment that Ullmark got good too. Both of them would fly past the post going east-west. Then one day they didn't anymore and the results followed.

I'm glad we didn't just let another goalie go as they are hitting their stride like we did with Linus.

Everything to like about this deal based on how things look right now.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Great deal I love it, nothing to complain about except the posters who want to conjure the few negative spirits even if the fail to show up 🤫

Vilis20

Jun 18, 2015
team friendly contract, nice, but does it matters, if we don't spend? more money for Terrie's yacht, i guess? :sarcasm:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
He was bad the entire first half of the season, it wasn't a few times. He shined bright the second half when we were pretty much already eliminated. I wouldn't blame the team for the entire season.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This is one reason why this deal has a good chance to move from a completely fair deal to a very team friendly one by the end of it.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He barely played until the end of November. He caught fire as soon as January 1 rolled around
He was sitting around collecting dust while the organization tried to force Levi as the starter. The only reason he started to play was because Comrie got injured. Then it took until sometime in December for KA to realize Levi wasn't ready, or that UPL was clearly better. The team basically had to be slapped in the face to see that UPL should be starting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad