Confirmed with Link: UPL and Malenstyn file for arbitration

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I personally don't think Adams wants to sign him for 5 years, considering his track record of wanting any non-core contract to be very short term, and UPL not being a core player. He'll roll out the carpet for Levi with a long one after this year, probably.

I'm guessing the contracts being discussed are from 1 to 3 years. Just my take.
1 year would be stupidly shortsighted.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
1 year would be stupidly shortsighted.
That's the highest likelihood if he still doesn't have a contract when the weekend is through.

And going one season puts the onus on UPL to prove that last season wasn't a fluke, which takes the risk away from th eteam (and saves the owner money). I don't like it but Marty Biron recommended a one-year deal on his podcast and his logic made a bit of sense to me, even though it felt short of convincing me.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
That's the highest likelihood if he still doesn't have a contract when the weekend is through.

And going one season puts the onus on UPL to prove that last season wasn't a fluke, which takes the risk away from th eteam (and saves the owner money). I don't like it but Marty Biron recommended a one-year deal on his podcast and his logic made a bit of sense to me, even though it felt short of convincing me.
Like you, I don't like a one-year deal either. It's the same concept as Ullmark and Reinhart - you keep giving guys "prove it" deals until they realize or feel that the organization just isn't committed to them. Then they don't commit to the organization, and find a reason to leave. Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nonsense...plenty of local guys get scoops from agents. Literally all the time. They also have relationships with people in the org who aren't decision makers but hear things. I mean, even Chad and Jeremy have more sources in the org than TBN.
I have heard plenty of local guys talk about why they rarely get the breaking news on signings for the Bills and Sabres and why it is the big name national guys that get that info.

I think TBN has pulled away from the breaking news stuff because they have seen that it doesn't really matter for what they do.

Talking about what has happened rather than race for hitting send fastest in this age of social media is more important for them and I get it.

I think the Chad stuff is interesting not from a breaking news POV but from a what they tried to do and didn't happen one. That stuff is way more important than the breaking news stuff.

And I think Harrington has burned all his bridges to get stuff and Lance is limited by their rules of needing multiple sources to report stuff.

Chad just runs with "his sources" and does not seem to have the multi-source rule like TBN has.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I personally don't think Adams wants to sign him for 5 years, considering his track record of wanting any non-core contract to be very short term, and UPL not being a core player. He'll roll out the carpet for Levi with a long one after this year, probably.

I'm guessing the contracts being discussed are from 1 to 3 years. Just my take.
Color me INCORRECT

Reactions: KiwiGriff

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Can’t wait to watch Adams overpay for Malenstyn twice.
Looks like you'll be waiting about two years for that to happen.

Pretty lousy way to build report with your newly acquired player. Tell them why he doesn't deserve what he thinks he deserves with graphs and charts after spending a 2nd to get him.
Im pretty sure there's an established way to deal with arbitration - if you can't agree the player files, then the team lowballs them and the player highball back and you hope it gets sorted before the actual sitting.

For all we know they weren't that far off on the figure, or Beck wanted 3 yrs and KA wanted 2. Didn't take long to get sorted. I don't think arbitration is that big a deal unless it gets to the meeting and then it's still not amicable.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad