Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Staios made a bunch of deals to get a chemistry and identity on this team. He left value on the table with Jensen/Chych for sure, and likely overpaid Amadio.

He prefers players over picks, character and responsibility over skill, and cares more about getting his desired roster makeup than protecting assets.

I'll reserve judgement for now.

But if jensen sucks while chych kills it, if ullmark walks, if Joseph explodes, or if the Yakemchuk pick gets the Lee/Kopitar treatment, people are gonna be calling for his head.

But Staois already has a really good track record - fired Dorion, Smith, hire Damaio and Poulin, bringing back Alfie and J. Martin, the Ulmark trade, creating capsace, and most importantly defending his players - Pinto, Tkachuk, Norris.

He’s built up a lot of trust and a quiet confidence with the fans already. He might be the most trusted person on the franchise which is exactly what you want

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Staios made a bunch of deals to get a chemistry and identity on this team. He left value on the table with Jensen/Chych for sure, and likely overpaid Amadio.

He prefers players over picks, character and responsibility over skill, and cares more about getting his desired roster makeup than protecting assets.

But if jensen sucks while chych kills it, if ullmark walks, if Joseph explodes, or if the Yakemchuk pick gets the Lee/Kopitar treatment, people are gonna be calling for his head.
Sounds like you’ve already judged them, he did a,b,c and D.

lol…….If, if, if, or, if

Reactions: Cosmix and Dionysus

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sounds like you’ve already judged them

lol…….If, if, if, or, if
I've got my initial opinions but I'm willing to keep an open mind and see how it plays out. Shitting on my team isn't my thing and I know these guys know a hell of a lot more than i do. I'm cautiously optimistic and I'd love to see us build a vegas or a bruins styled culture and roster.

My point about people calling for Staios' head is more based on what I've seen from this fanbase in the past. (Remember the billboards?)

All that said, my armchair take is that I would have kept kelly and joseph. I'm worried about the comments I read on the caps forum about Jensen's decline last year and I think we got hosed on that return.

I love the Ullmark trade even if he doesn't sign.

I like the Amadio signing and I like the Green move. I won't criticize that even in retrospect since the team was soft and needed a fire under their ass.

I don't like the Yak pick. I would have taken Parehk.

But I'm not a pro, so I'll cross my fingers and hope I'm wrong on some of this stuff.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I dont know if he did leave value on the table with Jensen and Chychrun i think there were a few factors at play. I am confident he tried to move Chyc at the deadline and the value wasnt very good. Then he tried to get a RHD in free agency and no one would come here at a price that made sense so he was stuck. Chychrun didnt have the value that I think alot of people believe he did or else he would have been moved earlier or for more. Ottawa had to address a glaring hole. It was circumstantial, a circumstance that Dorion put this team into.

I think the Amadio deal is fine he is making 8th forward money and they are getting him for his prime years. He is a versatile player I think theres very little risk with him. He has a great stick great hockey IQ.

As for your last sentence its 100 percent true if all his moves back fire it was a massive fail and he did a terrible job. I think its only fair to reserve judgement on all these decisions. I am there with you, I like the motive and the ideas behind them but like you I question the execution. I think in theory it should work this teams biggest issues were consistency/leadership and hockey sense/smart hockey players. Which he did address. However I personally I still dont see a team with an identity. When you watch the playoffs the teams that go the deepest are either very fast or very heavy/hard to play against. I dont see a team with either of those traits.

Its kinda like when Dorion added Debrincat to a team that had Giroux and Batherson. Skilled right handed wingers that arent overly fast or physical. It was a redundant add.

Perron and Amadio are kinda similar right handed high iq skill forwards that are neither overly fast of physical. I would have liked them to target a fast or physical forward instead. Losing Joseph also hurts the team speed.

So again like you I will reserve judgement. But I do like the moves for the most part just would prefer for this team to try and have a roster that fits the type of identity that Green will implement. After listening to Corrado it seems like he wants a team that plays heavy.

So I do think guys like Ostapchuk will not only make the team but probably play a pretty prominent role. Id also like the team to go get another forward that plays that way. Hopefully Nick Cousins he's kinda the only free agent that will play to that identity.

As for Yakemchuk, he was my second choice out of who was left when they picked. I think he does come with some risk. I think some teams are going to look idiotic for passing on Buium. Its debatable but he might have had the best draft season of any player. He was simply phenomenal. He's got it, not sure if anyone has listened to his Spitting Chicklets interview but man he didnt come from much. Made it against all odds really; being from an immigrant family from southern California. 4 hours of driving a day to play hockey doing homework in his moms van while his dad works 70 hour weeks with an HVAC company. Boy is he also confident but not cocky. I just dont know how he dropped to 12.

Anyways I am very happy they didnt pick Parehk personally. Yakemchuk over him all day for me but anyways no one knows just my opinions after following this draft class.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I dont know if he did leave value on the table with Jensen and Chychrun i think there were a few factors at play. I am confident he tried to move Chyc at the deadline and the value wasnt very good. Then he tried to get a RHD in free agency and no one would come here at a price that made sense so he was stuck. Chychrun didnt have the value that I think alot of people believe he did or else he would have been moved earlier or for more. Ottawa had to address a glaring hole. It was circumstantial, a circumstance that Dorion put this team into.

I think the Amadio deal is fine he is making 8th forward money and they are getting him for his prime years. He is a versatile player I think theres very little risk with him. He has a great stick great hockey IQ.

As for your last sentence its 100 percent true if all his moves back fire it was a massive fail and he did a terrible job. I think its only fair to reserve judgement on all these decisions. I am there with you, I like the motive and the ideas behind them but like you I question the execution. I think in theory it should work this teams biggest issues were consistency/leadership and hockey sense/smart hockey players. Which he did address. However I personally I still dont see a team with an identity. When you watch the playoffs the teams that go the deepest are either very fast or very heavy/hard to play against. I dont see a team with either of those traits.

Its kinda like when Dorion added Debrincat to a team that had Giroux and Batherson. Skilled right handed wingers that arent overly fast or physical. It was a redundant add.

Perron and Amadio are kinda similar right handed high iq skill forwards that are neither overly fast of physical. I would have liked them to target a fast or physical forward instead. Losing Joseph also hurts the team speed.

So again like you I will reserve judgement. But I do like the moves for the most part just would prefer for this team to try and have a roster that fits the type of identity that Green will implement. After listening to Corrado it seems like he wants a team that plays heavy.

So I do think guys like Ostapchuk will not only make the team but probably play a pretty prominent role. Id also like the team to go get another forward that plays that way. Hopefully Nick Cousins he's kinda the only free agent that will play to that identity.

As for Yakemchuk, he was my second choice out of who was left when they picked. I think he does come with some risk. I think some teams are going to look idiotic for passing on Buium. Its debatable but he might have had the best draft season of any player. He was simply phenomenal. He's got it, not sure if anyone has listened to his Spitting Chicklets interview but man he didnt come from much. Made it against all odds really; being from an immigrant family from southern California. 4 hours of driving a day to play hockey doing homework in his moms van while his dad works 70 hour weeks with an HVAC company. Boy is he also confident but not cocky. I just dont know how he dropped to 12.

Anyways I am very happy they didnt pick Parehk personally. Yakemchuk over him all day for me but anyways no one knows just my opinions after following this draft class.

What still confuses me is why we let Kelly go, since he seems to fit the exact style they're going for.

I suspect there's a specific player mentality they're targetting and Parker didn't have it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What still confuses me is why we let Kelly go, since he seems to fit the exact style they're going for.

I suspect there's a specific player mentality they're targetting and Parker didn't have it.
Heard he was looking for 1.5 million per year and over played his hand. I think for Ottawa to qualify him he would have made 1.1 million? He only ended up signing for 825 k in Colorado for two years it looks like? I agree though he did fit into the type of identity that Green would like. Gregor essentially replaced him, faster but not as physical I think its pretty lateral. I would have liked for them to have him over Macewen though thats for sure.

Reactions: BigRig4 and aragorn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

He may have overpaid Amadio by a little, but he's tracked as a much better goal scorer than Joseph averaged per 82 the last 3 seasons and he makes less, so he basically plugs in easily as a replacement and potential goal scoring threat upgrade for the 3rd line. Not a big sample size, but Amadio's 6g, 13p in 21 playoff games were also well above his regular season pace.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Heard he was looking for 1.5 million per year and over played his hand. I think for Ottawa to qualify him he would have made 1.1 million? He only ended up signing for 900 k in Colorado I think? (not having access to cap friendly sucks) I agree though he did fit into the type of identity that Green would like. Gregor essentially replaced him, faster but not as physical I think its pretty lateral. I would have liked for them to have him over Macewen though thats for sure.
I'd have been happy to keep Kelly at 900k to 1.1, but 1.5 would have been a bit too rich imo.

I agree Gregor is a lateral replacement from my limited viewings, seems like he'll drop the gloves but isn't much of a fighter, throws lots of hits but isn't a big hitter, but he seems to add a bit more offense than Kelly has.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I think it’s fair to say Staois is the best season of any Senator and that’s such a great thing. In a season with chaos and then total disappointment Staois has defended his players, rebuilt the roster and created cap space. The Vibes around the team are as good as they have been in 10 years.

Now the players are pointed in the right direction and everyone is ready to push this team up the hip and into the playoffs

It’s early but Syeve Staois I’m already considering as the best GM in Sens history
Marshall Johnston was pretty good too but you're right, it's a very short list.

Reactions: bert and Tuna99

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023

Or it was money. I think I read somewhere he wanted more than what Ottawa was offering so he went to free agency. He must've been surprised that the only team offering him a contract was for less than he made in Ottawa. But he is now with a contender so that may also have been a factor.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think it was a matter of money; Parker probably was hoping for a raise and the Senators did not offer a significant enough one to get him to sign. So Staios signed Gregor for $0.85M and let Kelly walk to UFA.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Staios would get a mulligan on the pick if it doesn't work out because he can blame it on the scouting staff he inherited. Unless, he doesn't revamp the scouting staff but I doubt that'll be the case.
Ya, they let go some on the pro staff, don’t think they’ve touched the amateur side yet.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we really have to credit the Canadian Women Soccer athletes for overcoming a crazy level of distractions in gaining 2 wins in their 1st 2 games and a 2nd half comeback vs France yesterday. Now Canada Soccer and the Canadian Olympic committee have challenged the FIFA decision to penalize the team by deducting 6 points from their standings ahead of their game vs Columbia. This is on top of have a coaching change due to theirs being suspended and the total embarrassment of having their management screw up so foolishly. I can't imagine how the Sens would have dealt with this kind of distraction it would have been crippling in comparison.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think we really have to credit the Canadian Women Soccer athletes for overcoming a crazy level of distractions in gaining 2 wins in their 1st 2 games and a 2nd half comeback vs France yesterday. Now Canada Soccer and the Canadian Olympic committee have challenged the FIFA decision to penalize the team by deducting 6 points from their standings ahead of their game vs Columbia. This is on top of have a coaching change due to theirs being suspended and the total embarrassment of having their management screw up so foolishly. I can't imagine how the Sens would have dealt with this kind of distraction it would have been crippling in comparison.
Canada making it out of the group stage would be crazy and absolutely phenomenal.

Canada needs to beat Colombia (ideally scoring 2-3 more goals than Colombia in the win).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I wonder if Staois had any level of interest in Holloway or Broberg?

He knew both players well….. and also knew that the Oilers had cap issues and two big time players who will need extensions next year.

Of course the Sens are not in the same position as the Blues, but if either of these former first rounders were of interest, he may have been able to at least inquire.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wonder if Staois had any level of interest in Holloway or Broberg?

He knew both players well….. and also knew that the Oilers had cap issues and two big time players who will need extensions next year.

Of course the Sens are not in the same position as the Blues, but if either of these former first rounders were of interest, he may have been able to at least inquire.

Broberg is another LD, I don't think we'd have been interested with Chabot and Sanderson ahead of him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Broberg is another LD, I don't think we'd have been interested with Chabot and Sanderson ahead of him.
He played some RD in the playoffs. But yes he's a natural LD. Thought he was phenomenal when i watched him in the spring. Love the move for St Louis.

Holloway is the player I'd have been more interested in at his price tag and the assets it took to get him. He would have been a great fit, fast, tenacious, big, great motor. Could have been a solid Formenton replacement. This is the type of player the team is desperately missing. Sens didn't have the cap space unfortunately. If there was more clarity on Norris they could have Actually done this from a cap space perspective and I would have been extatic.

Reactions: Icelevel

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
But Staois already has a really good track record - fired Dorion, Smith, hire Damaio and Poulin, bringing back Alfie and J. Martin, the Ulmark trade, creating capsace, and most importantly defending his players - Pinto, Tkachuk, Norris.

He’s built up a lot of trust and a quiet confidence with the fans already. He might be the most trusted person on the franchise which is exactly what you want
Lol you are way too easy to please if thats what you consider building up alot of confidence with fans. He certainly hasnt for me nor for alot of my personal friends either. Alot of people on here have expressed the same sentiment too. Unless Ullmark extends, we have gotten older, slower, less skilled, have less of a competitive outlook for the future, and wasted even more assets in the process. He's literally done nothing to inspire confidence, including the new coaching hire, except for the Ullmark trade and that is a rental as of now.

No wonder we got 7 years of Dorion and DJ, Ottawa fans are so easily and willingly strung along. It's sad to see.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad