Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Lol you are way too easy to please if thats what you consider building up alot of confidence with fans. He certainly hasnt for me nor for alot of my personal friends either. Alot of people on here have expressed the same sentiment too. Unless Ullmark extends, we have gotten older, slower, less skilled, have less of a competitive outlook for the future, and wasted even more assets in the process. He's literally done nothing to inspire confidence, including the new coaching hire, except for the Ullmark trade and that is a rental as of now.

No wonder we got 7 years of Dorion and DJ, Ottawa fans are so easily and willingly strung along. It's sad to see.
Fwiw, it makes sense if fans outside this forum are happy with Staios. I think he's done the bare minimum of an adequate GM, but because we've pissed away so much under Dorion Staios can appear as a god send to the average fan. Especially since we landed someone like Ullmark which makes it seem like we're still a very desirable destination.

Even his other moves like Yakemchuk, Perron, Cousins, etc., it seems like he's building a team identity that's easier to sell to fans (tough, gritty, etc.,). I think Staios has done the abre minimum for us fans on forums that are a bit more active in fandom, but for the masses, I think it makes sense that he's inspired confidence.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's come in on the heels of one of the worst GM's to grace the NHL working with the worst owner in the league at the time, it's not hard to exceed those expectations.

I think he had a pretty solid offseason with what he had to work with and none of the UFA Dmen dancing with him. Dorion had 7 years to try to solve goaltending and only ever dug himself deeper and deeper. Regardless of if Ullmark extends, SS got out from the worst UFA contract ever handed out in Ottawa while getting a #1 without a bad season on his resume in the same deal. That's impressive imo, and I also think it's likely Ullmark does extend.

Reactions: lancepitlick

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Fwiw, it makes sense if fans outside this forum are happy with Staios. I think he's done the bare minimum of an adequate GM, but because we've pissed away so much under Dorion Staios can appear as a god send to the average fan. Especially since we landed someone like Ullmark which makes it seem like we're still a very desirable destination.

Even his other moves like Yakemchuk, Perron, Cousins, etc., it seems like he's building a team identity that's easier to sell to fans (tough, gritty, etc.,). I think Staios has done the abre minimum for us fans on forums that are a bit more active in fandom, but for the masses, I think it makes sense that he's inspired confidence.
Ya that makes sense.

Btw, we've been trying to build that same identity under Dorion for a while now too, that hasn't really changed. Thats was what the Brady, Boucher, Greig picks were about to a large extent, along with all the big bodies we've drafted but haven't made the roster. He's been criticized many times in the past for prioritizing grit and hardnosed type picks over skilled ones, so thats nothing new really. It just hasn't worked out over the years as many of those players dropped from the roster for various reasons or didn't cut it.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Starting to think this dude is just too nice to be a top tier manager.

Dorion should have been fired and replaced immediately after Staios took over as President, yet it took a 1st round pick penalty for the Dadonov fiasco to finally get that clown out of the organization.

DJ should have been fired well prior to 26 games into the season, but something something stability.

And now it's September and there's been zero changes to our underperforming undermanned over-the-hill scouting staff.

His off-season personnel moves have been fine, but I'll consider the off-season a failure if we go into next season with the same scouting staff that is about 30-40 years behind the times as far as how they evaluate prospects.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Dorion should have been fired and replaced immediately after Staios took over as President, yet it took a 1st round pick penalty for the Dadonov fiasco to finally get that clown out of the organization.

DJ should have been fired well prior to 26 games into the season, but something something stability.

And now it's September and there's been zero changes to our underperforming undermanned over-the-hill scouting staff.

His off-season personnel moves have been fine, but I'll consider the off-season a failure if we go into next season with the same scouting staff that is about 30-40 years behind the times as far as how they evaluate prospects.
I thought there were some media members that indicated it was in the works for amateur scouting and that pro scouting has already been overhauled? Thought I saw that at some point. Replacement this summer always seemed like it made the most sense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't get it.. They should have at least got a new Chief Scout or someone at the top of amateur scouting. To start filling it in and retiring a few cronies. Its a huge hole in the organization and we don't have to look too far back to see it.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

The best scouts likely are already employed.

Staios seems to be patient to make sure he is making the right moves. There are no kneejerk reactions from him unless you cost the franchise a first rounder with your ineptitude.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There

I get you feeling this way, but have to ask what your expectations were? I feel the best he was ever going to be able to do was set this team up to be a tough one to play against - Perron, Amadio, Gregor, Ullmark...all those moves help the team and were not cost prohibitive (Joseph, 3rd, Boston's 1st). Getting out of the Korpisalo mess is significant, and getting Jensen back for Chychrun is about as much as could be expected (imo).

I get it, but Staios took on the GM role with one hand tied to his back by the previous regime and the other still smarting from being whacked by the NHL for errors made by the previous regime.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The best scouts likely are already employed.

Staios seems to be patient to make sure he is making the right moves. There are no kneejerk reactions from him unless you cost the franchise a first rounder with your ineptitude.

You need to poach competent scouts by offering higher positions and better money.

Patience is one word for it. It's been over a year now he's been running the show. How much time does he need?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You know absolutely nothing about how he manages either way. Hilarious comment. But to follow up having a GM that makes knee jerk reaction moves before evaluating is exactly the way to go...... Unreal stuff. Maybe you should apply for the position, you seem to have all the answeres.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I get you feeling this way, but have to ask what your expectations were? I feel the best he was ever going to be able to do was set this team up to be a tough one to play against - Perron, Amadio, Gregor, Ullmark...all those moves help the team and were not cost prohibitive (Joseph, 3rd, Boston's 1st). Getting out of the Korpisalo mess is significant, and getting Jensen back for Chychrun is about as much as could be expected (imo).

I get it, but Staios took on the GM role with one hand tied to his back by the previous regime and the other still smarting from being whacked by the NHL for errors made by the previous regime.
The only move I thought was a legit upgrade without losing too much is the Ullmark acquisition. Being able to unload Korpse to a division rival while getting a vezina calibre rental is a win-win, even if Ullmark leaves.

I think we're a more balanced team in terms of positions, but its not the type of hockey I enjoy. I'd have:
-kept Joseph
-drafted Parekh + get rid of our dinosaur scouts
-traded Chychren for futures instead of Jensen
-Try to sign/overpay for Tanev, Pesce, Roy,
-Stayed away from guys like Perron or Cousins because we're relying on Green being able to reign in their dirty antics.
-Focused on signing skill based guys (heck would've brought back Tarasenko over Perron).

Obviously we couldn't have had everything on that list, a lot of it depends on guys being willing to play in Ottawa, but it just feels like Staios went with the "rip the bandaid off" type moves to build a team that on paper seems tough and gritty. It seems superficial because we're not exactly more difficult to play against considering we have 3 forwards that are really easy to bait into stupid penalties.

I think we're more balanced with additions like Jensen, but we are hoping that this balance translates on ice without much draft capital/assets outside of Yakemchuk.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The only move I thought was a legit upgrade without losing too much is the Ullmark acquisition. Being able to unload Korpse to a division rival while getting a vezina calibre rental is a win-win, even if Ullmark leaves.

I think we're a more balanced team in terms of positions, but its not the type of hockey I enjoy. I'd have:
-kept Joseph
-Stayed away from guys like Perron or Cousins because we're relying on Green being able to reign in their dirty antics.
-Focused on signing skill based guys (heck would've brought back Tarasenko over Perron).

Obviously we couldn't have had everything on that list, a lot of it depends on guys being willing to play in Ottawa, but it just feels like Staios went with the "rip the bandaid off" type moves to build a team that on paper seems tough and gritty. It seems superficial because we're not exactly more difficult to play against considering we have 3 forwards that are really easy to bait into stupid penalties.

I think we're more balanced with additions like Jensen, but we are hoping that this balance translates on ice without much draft capital/assets outside of Yakemchuk.
So you dont want this team to build an identity at all and wanted to stay soft and get smaller and draft small. Calling the Yakemchuk pick a dinosaur selection is just absolutely wild to me. I dont love the rest but my goodness if you watched Parehk he was soft doesnt skate well and is undersized. Yakemchuk lead the WHL in goals and big physical D men still are what wins in the playoffs.

Reactions: aragorn and LiseL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
While mortgaging future cap space by overpaying for guys on the back end of their careers.
The teams been one of the softest in the league for years and people want them to get softer. Its just wild, the captain is one of the most physical unique unicorn type players but dont want to build around his play at all. Meanwhile every year we watch teams that are hard win cups or go deep.

Reactions: aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Scouting staff is the responsibility of the GM and he's not been the GM for a year yet. He was only named President in late Sept of last year.

It's been almost a year since being hired, but I expect and hope he was doing homework on our staff for long before that.

You know absolutely nothing about how he manages either way. Hilarious comment. But to follow up having a GM that makes knee jerk reaction moves before evaluating is exactly the way to go...... Unreal stuff. Maybe you should apply for the position, you seem to have all the answeres.

You think taking almost a year to make a decision would be a knee jerk reaction?

You must work in government.

Do you ever stop complaining?

Do you ever stop whining about my complaining?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's been almost a year since being hired, but I expect and hope he was doing homework on our staff for long before that.

You think taking almost a year to make a decision would be a knee jerk reaction?

You must work in government.

Do you ever stop whining about my complaining?
You just listed off him taking too long to fire Dorion and DJ. They took over the team in September both were gone within 3 months. What are you talking about a year? Thats what i mean by complaining you complain about everything think you have all the answeres.

I run a small business actually what do you do? Probably complain about your boss and all the things you would do if you only got that break!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The teams been one of the softest in the league for years and people want them to get softer. Its just wild, the captain is one of the most physical unique unicorn type players but dont want to build around his play at all. Meanwhile every year we watch teams that are hard win cups or go deep.

Utter bollocks. We were top 10 in both hits and penalties in 23/24.

We're one of the toughest/grittiest teams in the league, which means we can afford to focus more on players that will help us get to the dance.

-kept Joseph

Agree with most of this.

I don't blame him for the Chychrun trade and not signing one of the top RD. That was always a pipe dream and I was saying that all year.

We had to get a decent RD to have a chance at the playoffs this year, and when D like Dumba and Lyubushkin are costing 3M+ on multi-year deals from a no-state-tax contending team, I can see the logic in passing up futures for a guy like Jensen as a stop gap.

Overall his off-season moves have been fine. Don't think he gets an A+ but it's a definite improvement on the god awful offseasons we experienced under Dorion for so many years.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You just listed off him taking too long to fire Dorion and DJ. They took over the team in September both were gone within 3 months. What are you talking about a year? Thats what i mean by complaining you complain about everything think you have all the answeres.

I run a small business actually what do you do? Probably complain about your boss and all the things you would do if you only got that break!

Dorion should have been fired immediately. One of the worst GMs of all time and it was obvious to everyone here.

DJ being an awful coach was also no surprise. I don't blame Staios for firing him late in the summer, but most would agree he took too long to fire him after yet another classic slow start by DJ.

The scouting staff is a problem and that also should have been recognized quickly into his tenure. They've gone full Burke and our franchise is going to suffer immensely if we don't get some fresh blood in the scouting room.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Agree with most of this.

I don't blame him for the Chychrun trade and not signing one of the top RD. That was always a pipe dream and I was saying that all year.

We had to get a decent RD to have a chance at the playoffs this year, and when D like Dumba and Lyubushkin are costing 3M+ on multi-year deals from a no-state-tax contending team, I can see the logic in passing up futures for a guy like Jensen as a stop gap.

Overall his off-season moves have been fine. Don't think he gets an A+ but it's a definite improvement on the god awful offseasons we experienced under Dorion for so many years.
Despite how negative I might sound, I don't think Staios has done a bad job. Just what an average GM should do with a team like Ottawa (establish an identity, move players that don't have a long-term future here despite how underwhelming the return is relative to what we paid), etc.,. I'll take whatever Staios does as an upgrade over Dorion in every metric and we have an improvement in the GM position.

It's just the job Staios has done isn't to my personal liking. Same as if I like chocolate ice cream, but he's serving vanilla or strawberry. It's not bad, just not something I'm particularly hyped about.

Reactions: DrEasy and Blotto71

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Utter bollocks. We were top 10 in both hits and penalties in 23/24.

We're one of the toughest/grittiest teams in the league, which means we can afford to focus more on players that will help us get to the dance.
Being a team that hits alot because they don't have the puck and takes penalties because they don't have the puck doesn't mean they are hard to play against. You actually watch this team play and think they were a hard team to play against explains everything about your takes and evaluations. Like you saw the sens d core and thought they were gritty and hard to play against?..... BAHAHAHA

No clue.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Dorion should have been fired immediately. One of the worst GMs of all time and it was obvious to everyone here.

DJ being an awful coach was also no surprise. I don't blame Staios for firing him late in the summer, but most would agree he took too long to fire him after yet another classic slow start by DJ.

The scouting staff is a problem and that also should have been recognized quickly into his tenure. They've gone full Burke and our franchise is going to suffer immensely if we don't get some fresh blood in the scouting room.
I can see the logic of keeping Dorion (briefly) and DJ for a bit then canning them.

Last year was always going to be a gong show. Better to let them wear that and start fresh this year.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I can see the logic of keeping Dorion (briefly) and DJ for a bit then canning them.

Last year was always going to be a gong show. Better to let them wear that and start fresh this year.
Closing the sale shouldn't have taken so long, then maybe changes would have been made. But I guess Bettman needed time to jack up the price of the team, hide the Pinto suspension and finish up steeling our 1rst round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad