Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think that these professional athletes behave like mental midgets is more like it. We all have jobs and careers with loads of distractions and we need to all perform at a level to earn our money and our keep. These guys blaming these little distractions is a total load of BS. They are paid and paid very well. These are excuses.
How much you are paid doesn't change how much an impact distractions have

We all have distraction may be true but all distractions are equal very much is not.

We as fans seem to to prefer being deceived, it's why we get up in arms when some has the Gaul to admit injuries played a role in a teams performance. All teams deal with injuries we'll say, lying to ourselves that everyone is dealing with the same degree of injury.

It's no wonder athletes give cookie cutter responses instead of actual insight with fans getting bent out of shape by honest responses then calling players liars and names like mental midgets.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert and aragorn

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If that's how you want to interpret it, be my guest, neither guy comes off as deceitful imo, and tbh, I think saying everything was great and there were no distractions would come of as more deceitful since we all know the potential of a coaching change hango g over DJ from the moment Dorion got fired was constantly being talked about.

I find it interesting that the moment a player shows some humanity in their responses fans start accusing them of being this or that, but the rest of the time were complaining about cookie cutter answers . Can't have it both ways,
To each their own, I suppose. But I think you are giving them far too much credit. I think they lacked "ownership" of their substandard level of play, and are looking to preserve their reputations instead...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To each their own, I suppose. But I think you are giving them far too much credit. I think they lacked "ownership" of their substandard level of play, and are looking to preserve their reputations instead...
Both guys have said they need to be better, so I think they are still taking ownership, and both guys in separate interviews mentioned guys in the room having a hard time dealing with the distractions. Idk, if it was a one off and only one guy brought it up, I might be inclined to agree but with two guys saying it, I suspect there's smoke there.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think that these professional athletes behave like mental midgets is more like it. We all have jobs and careers with loads of distractions and we need to all perform at a level to earn our money and our keep. These guys blaming these little distractions is a total load of BS. They are paid and paid very well. These are excuses.
@Micklebot is still getting paid by someone .. and look at the distractions he has.

These guys should never come out with ownership change and/or coaching change as a reason for their poor play.. If that's the case the real reason is they did not behave like professionals. They need to get a hold of themselves if that thought even trickles into their minds

Reactions: bert and coladin

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
@Micklebot is still getting paid by someone .. and look at the distractions he has.

These guys should never come out with ownership change and/or coaching change as a reason for their poor play.. If that's the case the real reason is they did not behave like professionals. They need to get a hold of themselves if that thought even trickles into their minds
Completely agree with this. Boohoo....my owner sold the business, I am still getting paid 5million plus but I am not used to the new owner...he seems to come watch me practice more than the previous guy. OMG, there he is in the press box watching me again....oopsie, I let the first shot go in...I think he is glaring at me.....oopsie, now I let the second shot go in too. I can't handle it. This is a load of nonsense. I agree with you SOA. These guys need to get a hold of themselves.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Or are they being dishonest blaming the new ownership for their garbage play

Erik Karlsson looked pretty good playing for Melnyk, Alfie too, Stone, Tkachuk, Sanderson - yep they might be making excuses

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What the key word you think of when you think of Brady Tkachuk - family

Credit Staois for building a culture so quickly. Teams need to build around their Captains and Brady is the ultimate family guy and all the new Ullmark, Perron, Jensen, Amadio they all talk about family and we who live in Ottawa and were raised here know how lucky it is to be a kid on this city - the best place in the world to be a kid.

Steve Staois is building a culture but also defining his players outside of their hockey skill with what’s important to them and really humanizing them which makes them more likeable.

Anyways, love Steve Staois, this guy could date my daughter.

Reactions: LiseL

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Completely agree with this. Boohoo....my owner sold the business, I am still getting paid 5million plus but I am not used to the new owner...he seems to come watch me practice more than the previous guy. OMG, there he is in the press box watching me again....oopsie, I let the first shot go in...I think he is glaring at me.....oopsie, now I let the second shot go in too. I can't handle it. This is a load of nonsense. I agree with you SOA. These guys need to get a hold of themselves.
If they had said they were distracted by the last ownership group, you guys wouldn't have blinked an eye...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You know who got distracted by ownership? Guys like Alfie when their paycheques didn't arrive

Reactions: LiseL

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Like it or not we were waiting for Staois to do something & he seems to have done quite a bit in the last few weeks, he's been busy.

Reactions: asw and LiseL

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Maybe the ownership change bothered Chychrun because they didn't like him from the word go. I have a feeling they didn't even pick up the phone to even talk candidly about an extension. Just, go away.

And as for Korpisalo, you sucked like a vacuum, you should feel uncomfortable that they new ownership coming in looks at you like a sunken asset.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Ottawa Senators appoint Josh Mallory as assistant video coach​

Sens add Josh Mallory as assistant video coach
ott-News Release

Reactions: Dionysus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think it’s fair to say Staois is the best season of any Senator and that’s such a great thing. In a season with chaos and then total disappointment Staois has defended his players, rebuilt the roster and created cap space. The Vibes around the team are as good as they have been in 10 years.

Now the players are pointed in the right direction and everyone is ready to push this team up the hip and into the playoffs

It’s early but Syeve Staois I’m already considering as the best GM in Sens history

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Staios made a bunch of deals to get a chemistry and identity on this team. He left value on the table with Jensen/Chych for sure, and likely overpaid Amadio.

He prefers players over picks, character and responsibility over skill, and cares more about getting his desired roster makeup than protecting assets.

I'll reserve judgement for now.

But if jensen sucks while chych kills it, if ullmark walks, if Joseph explodes, or if the Yakemchuk pick gets the Lee/Kopitar treatment, people are gonna be calling for his head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad