Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Look, I am far from being an NHL player and don't know what goes on day to day, but how in the f*** is an ownership change having an effect on your on ice performance?

How is the arrival of a new owner distracting you from stopping the first shot on goal?

How is the new owner affecting your ability to cover your man in the defensive zone and win puck battles, leading to a -30 rating for the season?

If anything, the new ownership should have improved your performance by bringing in more training staff and providing better accommodations and perks that the previous owner skimped on.

I can give you the Pinto suspension was a distraction, but teams go through coaching changes all the time and usually are better for it. This was the only team that actually didn't receive a coaching bump.

It just seems like excuses from the 2 worst performing players all season. good riddance.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Don’t think Staois would of drafted Erik Karlssona md instead would of gone with 6,03” RD John Carlson and the Sens might of been better off for it in the long run
Staios would've drafted Luca Sbisa who's just a LD version of Yakemchuk minus the PIM. Two-way guy that can shoot, but has questionable back skating.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope this new coaching staff makes them play a much stronger defensive game in all 3 zones to cut down GA/G. That would be an excellent first step to improving.

Of course that would likely reduce the GF/G by reducing the offensive risk-taking of the Fs.

The net result would likely be closer games with lower overall goal scoring. Some might think that is boring (I do a little bit as I like a fast-skating fire wagon type of hockey; but we don't have enough of the type of players required to do that).
Based just on what we are seeing at Development Camp they are being coached with these drills to be very hard to play against & to compete for pucks much harder. And for those who don't like the off the glass & out play I'm going to guess we are going to see much more of that, getting the puck out of our own end quicker & fighting for pucks along the boards & in neutral ice. I think they are going to try & get rid of some of this finesse stuff that aggravates coaches & results in the loss of pucks & offensive opportunities & want them to just get it out quickly anyway possible. Fight for the puck & look for turnover opportunities & get back on D as fast as possible..

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I think this is a bit harsh. I don’t see it as them making excuses, it can be true that their performances are their responsibility (they never said otherwise) but that they were also impacted by their environment.

People struggle with change, nothing wrong with that. I bet a lot of them wondered about their future with the org since it wasn’t the same people in charge amongst all the other changes happening. I don’t think it’s an ideal situation in fairness.

I might have been a tad harsh, but you can absolutely tell Chychrun was 100% checked out last season. I can't even describe how frustrating it is to watch a physical specimen like Chychrun refuse to get involved physically. The one play I can remember Chychrun using his strength was overpowering Malkin in OT and then passing the puck to the goalscorer. If that guy showed up more often we probably would have kept him.

I don't even know what's wrong with Korpisalo but letting in the first shot every game is an individual problem. Even if the factors they both mentioned are legit you need to persevere through that. I'm glad they're both gone.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
If Bobby Orr had had today's medical procedures on his knees when he played he would have played for another 10 years and won 6 or 7 more Norris trophies.
pre 1975, the medical world was way less evolved in the area of sports medicine. Any serious injury then, was a career ender.

Orr, Chicago Bear; Gayle Sayers, Cincinnati Bengal; Greg Cook. All where done in by the state of medicine pre 1975.

Bossy was different. His injury was in the late 1970's. Seemingly healed and he was dynamite for 9 years. Then, over night, poof gone. Literally from star in the first 40 games of his last season, to gone by game 70 or so and never returned.

I have never seen anything like that.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Look, I am far from being an NHL player and don't know what goes on day to day, but how in the f*** is an ownership change having an effect on your on ice performance?

How is the arrival of a new owner distracting you from stopping the first shot on goal?

How is the new owner affecting your ability to cover your man in the defensive zone and win puck battles, leading to a -30 rating for the season?

If anything, the new ownership should have improved your performance by bringing in more training staff and providing better accommodations and perks that the previous owner skimped on.

I can give you the Pinto suspension was a distraction, but teams go through coaching changes all the time and usually are better for it. This was the only team that actually didn't receive a coaching bump.

It just seems like excuses from the 2 worst performing players all season. good riddance.
2003 Senators went and won the president’s trophy while the team was up for sale, declared bankruptcy and disrupted payroll for players during the season. These guys are SAWFT

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

New ownership means change is coming, Andlauer said from the start that he and Staios would be evaluating every aspect of the team, you don't know if your job is safe.

We aren't the only team not to get a new coach bump, Martin (.500) actually had a better record here than DJ (.426), especially after the initial slide where Ottawa had a .548 pts % over the final 42. NJD are the only team whos new coach didn't have a better record, but that's partially because Ruff had a very strong start before crashing (lots of injuries).

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
New ownership means change is coming, Andlauer said from the start that he and Staios would be evaluating every aspect of the team, you don't know if your job is safe.

We aren't the only team not to get a new coach bump, Martin (.500) actually had a better record here than DJ (.426), especially after the initial slide where Ottawa had a .548 pts % over the final 42. NJD are the only team whos new coach didn't have a better record, but that's partially because Ruff had a very strong start before crashing (lots of injuries).
you have a contract. It has to be honoured. Or bought out at 2/3 (1/2 for young players)
You have NTC, NMC, a union to back you!
you make millions. And are financially set about 2-3 past ELC

This is not regular society, where a new Manager/owner could mean you out. And how do you pay your mortgage?

Good Lord. Idiot responses from them.

A career is 15 years. A 5 year contract is 1/3 that. In society a career is 43 years. 1/3 is 14 years. Had any company given me a 14 year contract at 100-200 K (proportional to an NHLr's salary), I would have peed on my bosses desk daily.

Claude Giroux can kick Michael Andlauer in the nuts, serve 2 months in jail and hardly twitch!!!!! so can just about every other Sen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
you have a contract. It has to be honoured. Or bought out at 2/3 (1/2 for young players)
You have NTC, NMC, a union to back you!
you make millions. And are financially set about 2-3 past ELC

This is not regular society, where a new Manager/owner could mean you out. And how do you pay your mortgage?

Good Lord. Idiot responses from them.

A career is 15 years. A 5 year contract is 1/3 that. In society a career is 43 years. 1/3 is 14 years. Had any company given me a 14 year contract at 100-200 K (proportional to an NHLr's salary), I would have peed on my bosses desk daily.

Claude Giroux can kick Michael Andlauer in the nuts, serve 2 months in jail and hardly twitch!!!!! so can just about every other Sen.
Your bladder control aside, just because people are financially secure does not mean they do not feel any stress resulting from change at the workplace. Having to worry about getting traded and uprooting your family is a real thing in the NHL, not something a typical person would have to worry about, and it is a distraction. It is a stressor, and it impact not just the player but their family too.

When two seperate players both say the ownership change was a distraction for the team, maybe you should put your hubris aside and consider that maybe you don't actually know what it's like to be in their shoes and accept what they are saying, even if you don't understand it.

Reactions: PlayOn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Your bladder control aside, just because people are financially secure does not mean they do not feel any stress resulting from change at the workplace. Having to worry about getting traded and uprooting your family is a real thing in the NHL, not something a typical person would have to worry about, and it is a distraction. It is a stressor, and it impact not just the player but their family too.

When two seperate players both say the ownership change was a distraction for the team, maybe you should put your hubris aside and consider that maybe you don't actually know what it's like to be in their shoes and accept what they are saying, even if you don't understand it.

Hopefully now we can finally out Melnyck and Dorian’s terrible legacies to rest and never hear about them again.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
After a decade in the Arizona organization, you'd think he'd be accustomed to the frequent changes in ownership and distractions.
Chychrun character was a blatant obvious one before he arrived home to Ottawa. He caused enough chaos at Arizona before he left. Its very obvious he is a very selfish, self-centered human and people like that will never change. He expected to be the prince in Ottawa only to see that there are two others on the defensive end that may be more valuable than him. I told my son when he came to Ottawa that I had reservations about his character without knowing him simply due to his tenure in Arizona. He proved me right. Good riddance to this sulk.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Both saying the changes were hard on the team. I think if nothing else not having that distraction should help the players this season.

Honestly, I'm a bit put off by that. I can see a coaching change being a distraction. Or the talk about moving to a new arena in a different part of town (downtown, likely away from a lot of player homes in the west end). Or yes, Dorion and his tossing 8x8 contract around like candy being tossed might be a cause for concern for a couple guys.

But the ownership change" Perhaps if they were expecting Andy to turn heel and do an evil laugh and take the team to Quebec City or something, I could see it. But really, the person signing the checks is of least importance to what the players think about on the ice. Or, it should be way down their list.

Feels more like an easy excuse on their parts.

Reactions: DrEasy

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020

these are
1) Korpo.. a career that has been up and down. More down than up. 30 years old and has about 3 years of accumulated career behind him.
2) Chyc.... try and remember Bill Armstrong's tweets after the trade to us. Go back and read them. They were: don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Their 1 and 1 1/4 years here, are testimony as to who they are and what they are!!! babies, underperformers, over-rated. Now you add cry-babies.

And if anyone who is financially stable/secure, feels pressure, what the f*** are you? A surgeon operating on a baby?

Financial stability is what we all seek, to ease our stress and make us perform better. Think back to school and walking into a final exam for some course that you had already passed. And the final is icing on the cake. You generally aced it.

Go and play a round of golf when you have a huge bid pending and serious dollars on the line. Now go play a round when you have won the bid.

All player on the Sens, other than the 2-4 bottom guys had nothing to fear. In fact they should have felt great. A new owner, with cash. Declaring "best in class". They should have played free and easy.

Korpo had a 5 x 4 M under his ass. Year 1 is paid in full at 4 M... Years 2-5, would have had to been bought put at 2/3. So he pockets an additional 10.333 M. And can still seek a back-up at 2 M for 2-3 years. Meaning his 20 M was money in the bank. He should have been incredibly relaxed.

Pressure is your 4th liner, who is on a two way and is 25.

Chyc. has a career earnings of some 22-23 M (f*** Capfriendly). He could retire now and be set.

Now tell that to your assistant coach making 200 K, paying 100 k in taxes, lives in Ottawa, his family is in NY and has 2 kids in college.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
these are
1) Korpo.. a career that has been up and down. More down than up. 30 years old and has about 3 years of accumulated career behind him.
2) Chyc.... try and remember Bill Armstrong's tweets after the trade to us. Go back and read them. They were: don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Their 1 and 1 1/4 years here, are testimony as to who they are and what they are!!! babies, underperformers, over-rated. Now you add cry-babies.

And if anyone who is financially stable/secure, feels pressure, what the f*** are you? A surgeon operating on a baby?

Financial stability is what we all seek, to ease our stress and make us perform better. Think back to school and walking into a final exam for some course that you had already passed. And the final is icing on the cake. You generally aced it.

Go and play a round of golf when you have a huge bid pending and serious dollars on the line. Now go play a round when you have won the bid.

All player on the Sens, other than the 2-4 bottom guys had nothing to fear. In fact they should have felt great. A new owner, with cash. Declaring "best in class". They should have played free and easy.

Korpo had a 5 x 4 M under his ass. Year 1 is paid in full at 4 M... Years 2-5, would have had to been bought put at 2/3. So he pockets an additional 10.333 M. And can still seek a back-up at 2 M for 2-3 years. Meaning his 20 M was money in the bank. He should have been incredibly relaxed.

Pressure is your 4th liner, who is on a two way and is 25.

Chyc. has a career earnings of some 22-23 M (f*** Capfriendly). He could retire now and be set.

Now tell that to your assistant coach making 200 K, paying 100 k in taxes, lives in Ottawa, his family is in NY and has 2 kids in college.
You're right, all NHL players never feel any outside pressure wrt their jobs, how could I have been so foolish to take two at their word when they said it was a distraction... Beech knows best, I'll make sure to check with you next time seeing as you clear have the inside scoop on what goes on between the ears of pro athletes, certainly moreso than the pro athletes that make contradictory statements anyway

The hubris of some...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am happy with what Staios, Poulin and Co. have done so far.

Read an article on The Athletic about defensive play in Ottawa. They had a goalie expert on TSN1200 the other day who said Ottawa was 29th in the league in high danger chances, or Grada A's , not sure...but the Athletic had a stat that I was more sure about, that Ottawa was 14th in the league for high danger chances. We all know why the puck was going in. Boston was 23rd. Ullmark , realitically, can have a monster season this year.

I like Jensen and just listened ot his interview and seems like a great guy to have in the room, and sounds like a real pro. As does Girous. As does Ullmark. As does Perron.

Phenomenal to have Pinto at 2.5M this year, and I can bet that he wanted it that way so Staios can build a better team this year. We have space to add more depth on the 4th line and for pete's sake leave a little space

Reactions: Dionysus

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
You're right, all NHL players never feel any outside pressure wrt their jobs, how could I have been so foolish to take two at their word when they said it was a distraction... Beech knows best, I'll make sure to check with you next time seeing as you clear have the inside scoop on what goes on between the ears of pro athletes, certainly moreso than the pro athletes that make contradictory statements anyway

The hubris of some...
Has Michael Andlauer ever uttered a threat?

He has been owner for 1 year. Has he said anything along the lines of "or else", "changes have to be made" and so on

NO.. he has handled things with kid gloves.. He defended Dorion. Remember "Those guys in section 327".

In Staios' first year, has he said anything about changes. About buying anyone out????

Is there remotely an air of fear? Has anyone associated with this team uttered a 'Trumpism"?

Have you heard Andlauer/Staios/Hockey-opps. utter a single accusatory word against any one player or groups of players?

NO....

what was there to fear? What there is in pro sports is reality. Yes players get traded. And that is part of the business. You know that coming in. Heck Junior players get traded. Collegians use the transfer portal.

as for family. Chyc 26.. how old are his kids? What family to uproot?
korpo is 30, how old are his kids? what family to uproot?

NHL players are 20-34 (by and large). In extreme case, you may have some 34 year old with a 10 year old kid... what uprooting are you worried about? A 10 year old is in grade 5.

pressure on a pro athlete!!!! I wish all of us had that pressure. It cannot be easy to be Drake Batherson. 5 x 5 M , handsome son of a gun. 26 years old. f***, I would not want to be him... NO, I would much rather be Jack Baths, the crew man at the CTC. Making 50 k, has an autistic child, a wife that he is constantly fighting with and a boss who is picking on him.

And we wonder why this team has had the last 7 years that it has had! or Buffalo, or Detroit, or Arizona, or Columbus, or SJ or Anaheim, or Mtl.. Or TO and their playoff failures. Or Winnipeg and 2 coaches quitting....

When do we get a Sidney Crosby (Mentality, not skill, I get the rarity of the skill). or a Stamkos, or any player with a killer attitude. A hard ass, who will go through walls. We get the wallflowers and losers.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He has been owner for 1 year. Has he said anything along the lines of "or else", "changes have to be made" and so on

NO.. he has handled things with kid gloves.. He defended Dorion. Remember "Those guys in section 327".

In Staios' first year, has he said anything about changes. About buying anyone out????

Is there remotely an air of fear? Has anyone associated with this team uttered a 'Trumpism"?

Have you heard Andlauer/Staios/Hockey-opps. utter a single accusatory word against any one player or groups of players?

NO....

what was there to fear? What there is in pro sports is reality. Yes players get traded. And that is part of the business. You know that coming in. Heck Junior players get traded. Collegians use the transfer portal.

NHL players are 20-34 (by and large). In extreme case, you may have some 34 year old with a 10 year old kid... what uprooting are you worried about? A 10 year old is in grade 5.

pressure on a pro athlete!!!! I wish all of us had that pressure. It cannot be easy to be Drake Batherson. 5 x 5 M , handsome son of a gun. 26 years old. f***, I would not want to be him... NO, I would much rather be Jack Baths, the crew man at the CTC. Making 50 k, has an autistic child, a wife that he is constantly fighting with and a boss who is picking on him.

And we wonder why this team has had the last 7 years that it has had! or Buffalo, or Detroit, or Arizona, or Columbus, or SJ or Anaheim, or Mtl.. Or TO and their playoff failures. Or Winnipeg and 2 coaches quitting....

When do we get a Sidney Crosby (Mentality, not skill, I get the rarity of the skill). or a Stamkos, or any player with a killer attitude. A hard ass, who will go through walls. We get the wallflowers and losers.
So what exactly are your credentials to be so knowledgable of the inner workings of a pro athletes mind that you know better than they do on whether the ownership change was a distraction?

You can type wall of text after wall of text, but it's all pulled out or your ass, so maybe you should pause and consider that they know better whether something was a distraction to them than you do, because the more you dig down, the dumber this gets.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

NO....

I mean we've had drunk uncle Euge for how long? How did him instilling fear help the organization?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad