Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'd rather have Joseph over Perron, so it's still an F. We sign a player we don't need but management wants because of their "character", it puts us in a cap crunch, and we have to pay to move Joseph. It's just a Dorion level move
I think it's our next GM Rob DiMaio who is working with Staois on these moves. He would be pretty familiar with Perron and presumably Amadio. It sucks that it came to that with Joseph, but I think there's more to it

Reactions: DueDiligence

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Joseph actually outscored Perron at even strength last year. Only reason Perron had more points last year is because he played almost 3 minutes a game on the top PP unit of Detroit, while Joseph only played 54 seconds a game on the second unit.

He won't get that here with Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson and Giroux in our top 6. Might push Greig out of the top 6, which I don't love and put up 40-50P because of it, but that doesn't mean he'll be more valuable than Joseph all-around.

Not sure why people are so hyperfocused on who Joseph's replacement is. We had room for a top 9 forward and we signed two. Could have just signed Amadio and rolled out an excellent shutdown line of Joseph-Pinto-Amadio, not to mention keeping the 3rd and having an extra 1M in cap space to help extend Pinto and maybe add some depth.

Joseph only outscored Perron by 3 points at ES, but did so with ~1 min more ES ice time per game. He also really struggled once DJ's free for all system went out the window and Jacques tried to have the team play with more structure.

And I don't Perron's abilities and production on the PP are a negative or mitigating factor. I look at them as huge positives.

We were 23rd in the league on PP last year. We need help there.

Detroit was 9th. Their ability to score on the PP is big reason why they were in the mix for a wildcard spot until the last day of the season.

I imagine that Green's primary focus will be on better two-way play, which might hurt our 5v5 offense in the short term as the forwards will almost certainly cheat less. So when we get PPs, we'll have to capitalize. Adding a guy like Perron to one of the units will be a big help.

He's also a very different type of player who can complement the rest of the roster a lot better. He's been around the league and played in every situation. He won't get rattled if things go sideways in a game. He's strong down low and doesn't depend on rush chances. He's chippy, isn't shy to engage physically and pisses off the opposition.

He's a better fit for what we need.

And another thing for the PP – most teams play 4 forwards per unit nowadays, so you need to be 8 forwards strong. There'll be more than enough time to go around for Perron.

Stützle - Tkachuk - Norris
Batherson - Sanderson
---
Perron - Pinto - Greig
Giroux - Chabot

Reactions: aragorn

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He's also a very different type of player who can complement the rest of the roster a lot better. He's been around the league and played in every situation. He won't get rattled if things go sideways in a game. He's strong down low and doesn't depend on rush chances. He's chippy, isn't shy to engage physically and pisses off the opposition.
That's exactly what he'll do and in action it'll look like a dumb penalty

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Also Pinto had the same surgeon as Tarasenko had. Who had 3 surgeries on same shoulder in 2 1/2 years.
and Tarasenko accused the Blues of mishandling it. He damn near accused them of medical malpractice.

He has also slowed down. And is unable to find a long term contract. his last good season was 21/22 when he was 29/30.

The reality is
1) it could be over for Norris
2) Norris and Pinto can be ticking time bombs. You may have to add Chabot.

the most famous case. Mike Bossy. A knee injury in junior. Came back to haunt him. At 29, he was finished.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
and Tarasenko accused the Blues of mishandling it. He damn near accused them of medical malpractice.

He has also slowed down. And is unable to find a long term contract. his last good season was 21/22 when he was 29/30.

The reality is

the most famous case. Mike Bossy. A knee injury in junior. Came back to haunt him. At 29, he was finished.
Yep Tank did accuse the blues, he was mad.
then got the the third surgery from a different surgeon, and he’s been fine since.

Vladdy had 55 points last year, for $5 million, he was paid in the right ballpark.

Was also one of the better 2 way players on forward.

Bossy retired due to back issues

Bossy announced his retirement on Oct. 24th, 1988, stating, "My back problems have won the battle. My career is over."

"There was a time last month, in September, when I was going back to Montreal once a week for therapy," he said. "It felt like it was getting better. Until that moment, I certainly hadn't given up hope. Then I got out of bed one morning and it felt the same as it did last year. I actually realized it was no use dragging it on anymore."

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and LiseL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
All of this is incorrect.

He was the starting goalie for the Knights in 22/23, got injured in the playoffs and then Brossoit/Hill took over.

Brossoit played on Winnipeg this past season and Thompson split starts with Hill. Just like in 22/23 he played the most games of any Vegas goalie at 46.
Lol it's 100 percent correct he lost the job to Brossoit. Brossoit started the playoffs then got hurt then Hill took it over him. Now Hill started and won a cup and they only kept Thomson over Brossoit past year because he was a cheaper cap hit. Now that they gotta pay him he's been dealt. He was their third option. It happened. It's OK to be wrong.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Lol it's 100 percent correct he lost the job to Brossoit. Brossoit started the playoffs then got hurt then Hill took it over him. Now Hill started and won a cup and they only kept Thomson over Brossoit past year because he was a cheaper cap hit. Now that they gotta pay him he's been dealt. He was their third option. It happened. It's OK to be wrong.

Actually he got injured prior to the playoffs, but that doesn't mean he lost his job. Ridiculous assertion.

And you are aware 22/23 was not this past season? He played 46 games this year as Vegas' starter.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I think the reality is that if they want better players to be willing to come to Ottawa, they have to trend up and have some success first. Makes it a bit difficult in that order, but Ottawa is likely seen as a basement team around the league until they aren't, and they're already swimming against the tide as a small Canadian market. Believe it when we see it sort of thing. I think this is them basically making the best out of a tough situation and I do think they'll be better for it.

Not getting league worst goaltending would be a huge change that may have immeasurable effects on the team. It's not as simple as increasing save % .025, it's about the team actually being able to play the game without having to always worry about your guy in goal letting you down.
And a new coaching staff that will push them to compete every game/every shift should also improve their chances.

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And a new coaching staff that will push them to compete every game/every shift should also improve their chances.
100%. Huge piece to the puzzle.

I'm optimistic.

And same goes for Belleville. Management talked about needing to build that team up and it being properly funded this year unlike previous years, so that could be an important piece too.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Also surgery performed by another surgeon (same one as Tank whose one surgery was successful). Fingers crossed.
Seemed to me like it popped out right before training camp because it was too loose and they knew it needed to be redone. Everything was good leading up to camp then all of a sudden he was taking it slow and couldn't shoot or take a hit.

I'm hoping this surgery was done right this time and he can be confident in it again.

Reactions: ottawagm

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Season Priorities:
1. Improve Special Teams PP/PK/Faceoffs
2. Reduce Goals Against & Be more Disciplined
3. Be a Pain in the Ass Team to Play Against
4. Much better Defensive Play in our own Zone
5. Push the Play, make the other Team play Defence & Grind them Down

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He lost his spot to Brossoit and then Hill. He was seen as their third string goalie. There is a reason he went for two third round picks.
And Ullmark lost his spot to swayman.
Thompson is good. Let’s see how they all do next year. We all got great goalies. :)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Just love Staois - obvious plan is to reduce shots and count on Ulmark to close out games. This is a team trying to win 3-2 instead of 5-4.

Staois totally controls the media and protects his players. Things were out of control under Dorion and players were exposed mismanagement, rumours and straight up abuse from the owner.

As soon as a rumour gets out about a player Staois shuts it down and protects his guys.

I’m a huge Staois fan - best GM we have ever had by far.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Lazy GMing. Staois couldn't even be bothered to share links to hfboard poster opinions on Chychrun and Joseph to drive up their value.
I have it on good authority that he did in fact share hf links raving on how valuable they are in his GM chat grp, thats how he managed to offload Joseph with only giving away a 3rd rather than a 1st. Well done for Staios, top marks on that hussle.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Don’t think Staois would of drafted Erik Karlssona md instead would of gone with 6,03” RD John Carlson and the Sens might of been better off for it in the long run

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

The reality is

the most famous case. Mike Bossy. A knee injury in junior. Came back to haunt him. At 29, he was finished
If Bobby Orr had had today's medical procedures on his knees when he played he would have played for another 10 years and won 6 or 7 more Norris trophies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope this new coaching staff makes them play a much stronger defensive game in all 3 zones to cut down GA/G. That would be an excellent first step to improving.

Of course that would likely reduce the GF/G by reducing the offensive risk-taking of the Fs.

The net result would likely be closer games with lower overall goal scoring. Some might think that is boring (I do a little bit as I like a fast-skating fire wagon type of hockey; but we don't have enough of the type of players required to do that).

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Both saying the changes were hard on the team. I think if nothing else not having that distraction should help the players this season.
Nice to see them taking responsibility for their performance too. They stunk, but both are fair to say and now all parties have a chance for fresh starts. Last year had the feeling of a lost throwaway season pretty early on, so that's gotta be tough on the players.

That said, I do think Korpisalo's ceiling is a backup and it's good for him to be put back in a position he may be able to succeed in.

Reactions: PlayOn

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Both saying the changes were hard on the team. I think if nothing else not having that distraction should help the players this season.

Looks like excuses from two mentally weak hockey players to me. I would respect both of them if they didn't give excuses and just owned their poor play.

If having changes behind the scenes throws your game off that much, you're not winning a Stanley Cup with players like that when the pressure is actually on.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Looks like excuses from two mentally weak hockey players to me. I would respect both of them if they didn't give excuses and just owned their poor play.

If having changes behind the scenes throws your game off that much, you're not winning a Stanley Cup with players like that when the pressure is actually on.
I think this is a bit harsh. I don’t see it as them making excuses, it can be true that their performances are their responsibility (they never said otherwise) but that they were also impacted by their environment.

People struggle with change, nothing wrong with that. I bet a lot of them wondered about their future with the org since it wasn’t the same people in charge amongst all the other changes happening. I don’t think it’s an ideal situation in fairness.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Lots of distractions last year:

1. New ownership
2. No money to sign Pinto and subsequent gambling scandal
3. Dorion/Dadonov scandal
4. Norris will he/won't he be ready for camp
5. Coaching change

This coming year, aside from Norris' surgery, it looks like we'll have some stability and no distractions (crosses fingers).

No excuses this year.

Edit: I think it would be incredibly naïve to think these wouldn't have an impact on a team. That doesn't mean they can't own their performance, but they are human, not robots.

Reactions: SENStastic

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Bit of both I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad