Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Yes. Our pro staff has been changed including a new director of pro scouting. We have also invested in a full time analytics guy for the first team.

Rome wasnt built in a day, but we went from absolutely nothing to having something.
Awesome to hear. I just hadn't heard anything and was hoping to find out. Thanks so much

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I take back the good I've said about Staios. Dorion was utter dog shit, Staiosis just regular shit. Even if he's improving certain areas (D, Goalie), he's pissing away assets and making us worse in other areas.
Oh just regular shit eh??? Well that's an improvement :laugh::laugh: They f***ed up should have hired you as our next GM. Make sure to keep sending your resume Loll

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Thompson isn't Ullmark but he's been a starting quality goalie for awhile. Career .912 SV% guy with unreal numbers at the AHL level prior to that. Was fantastic in the playoffs for Vegas.

Caps got a steal getting him for only two 3rds. They have a nice looking tandem with him and Lindgren for a total cost of 1.86M.

Really incredible work by Caps GM Brian MacLellan this off-season. They lucked into the playoffs this past season but it wouldn't surprise me if they make it this year and actually deserve to be there.

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Thompson isn't Ullmark but he's been a starting quality goalie for awhile. Career .912 SV% guy with unreal numbers at the AHL level prior to that. Was fantastic in the playoffs for Vegas.

Caps got a steal getting him for only two 3rds. They have a nice looking tandem with him and Lindgren for a total cost of 1.86M.

Really incredible work by Caps GM Brian MacLellan this off-season. They lucked into the playoffs this past season but it wouldn't surprise me if they make it this year and actually deserve to be there.

I mean, Vegas just unloaded him even though he was making under 800k and replaced him with a more expensive Ilya Samsonov.

That's a pretty smart, Cup winning management group there with the Golden Knights... so why did they do that?

This board is wild sometimes.

Trade Mathieu Joseph - "What a disaster!!!"
Acquire Linus Ullmark - "Well is he really any good why didn't we get Logan Thompson instead?"

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Again though. They paid two 3rds for him and there's no way they would have taken Korpisalo. The cost to dump that contract was assumed to be a 1st, so if you're paying that separately, the deal doesn't look so good.

The Oilers couldn't dump Campbell either, so no guarantee any team other than Boston was willing to take that albatross.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I mean, Vegas just unloaded him even though he was making under 800k and replaced him with a more expensive Ilya Samsonov.

That's a pretty smart management group there with the Golden Knights... so why did they do that?

I suspect the relationship with Thompson soured a bit when he was replaced with Hill for some reason in the playoffs. I think Cassidy prefers Hil.

Could have also just been that they preferred Samsonov + two 3rds over Thompson.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

The guy has played two seasons in his life that were over 20 games (and one of them he posted a .908, which isn't that great for playing on a team like Vegas). A bit much to call him a "career .912 guy".

They got a steal getting him for a 3rd because that's what he's worth. He's an unproven goalie. Ullmark is a proven elite goaltender.

Reactions: LiseL

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I suspect the relationship with Thompson soured a bit when he was replaced with Hill for some reason in the playoffs. I think Cassidy prefers Hil.

Could have also just been that they preferred Samsonov + two 3rds over Thompson.

Which leads me to believe that after watching him play every day, they don't think he's a future #1 starter.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Again though. They paid two 3rds for him and there's no way they would have taken Korpisalo. The cost to dump that contract was assumed to be a 1st, so if you're paying that separately, the deal doesn't look so good.

The Oilers couldn't dump Campbell either, so no guarantee any team other than Boston was willing to take that albatross.

I didn't say anything about the Ullmark deal. It was a good move overall.

I do think it's worth pointing out that for some reason goalies actually went for less than expected this summer. Thompson only costing two 3rds, Stolarz only getting 2.5M, etc...

There were more options than I expected.

Which leads me to believe that after watching him play every day, they don't think he's a future #1 starter.

They had to make a decision on Thompson or Hill after this season anyways.

Like I suspected they decided to make it this summer so they could get something for one of them instead of seeing one of their goalies walk for nothing after next summer.

Not sure why you're reading so much into the move.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I didn't say anything about the Ullmark deal. It was a good move overall.

I do think it's worth pointing out that for some reason goalies actually went for less than expected this summer. Thompson only costing two 3rds, Stolarz only getting 2.5M, etc...

There were more options than I expected.
I'm just looking at it through the lens of Ottawa and if they'd gone down that road. The cost is likely the return for Thompson plus the cost to dump Korpisalo. If that adds up to a 1st + 2x3rds, it is worse than the deal we made for Ullmark.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The guy has played two seasons in his life that were over 20 games (and one of them he posted a .908, which isn't that great for playing on a team like Vegas). A bit much to call him a "career .912 guy".

They got a steal getting him for a 3rd because that's what he's worth. He's an unproven goalie. Ullmark is a proven elite goaltender.

He's literally got an average save percentage of .912. Laughable thing to take issue with.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm just looking at it through the lens of Ottawa and if they'd gone down that road. The cost is likely the return for Thompson plus the cost to dump Korpisalo. If that adds up to a 1st + 2x3rds, it is worse than the deal we made for Ullmark.

Yeah which is why it made sense to deal for Ullmark.

It was a good trade to make. Thompson for two 3rds was also a good deal for the Caps.

Not sure why people are taking issue with the latter, but the Sens board as a whole has gone into their traditional back-against-the-wall defensive mode after a bad Sens trade.

Never seen a fanbase so quick at jumping to the "acceptance" stage and defending dogshit moves.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

It was a good trade to make. Thompson for two 3rds was also a good deal for the Caps.

Not sure why people are taking issue with the latter, but the Sens board as a whole has gone into their traditional back-against-the-wall defensive mode after a bad Sens trade.

Never seen a fanbase so quick at jumping to the "acceptance" stage and defending dogshit moves.
I don't have any issue with the deal from the Caps perspective, was only arguing that one point based on the post that sparked the debate.

I see the majority of the board complaining about said moves, so I'm not sure I agree. I have my own opinion.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024

The issue is you're looking at each deal in a vacuum and basing whether it's "good or bad" on your personal perception of a player's value instead of looking at the deals as pieces in the larger puzzle of constructing a balanced roster while considering the context of this team's performance over the last several seasons.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

No one is taking issue with Thompson, it’s just that the Ullmark one is better for Ottawa, and a better goalie, and somehow got out of 4 more years of Korpisalo.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I’m reserving judgement for some of these trades, but they are addressing priorities.

I’m glad this management is not making splashy exciting moves that don’t make sense in terms of needs or timing. Staios doesn’t care about our high fives in the short term, I want a GM that has a vision and is methodical. Hopefully these moves are based on a realistic assessment of where we are and what this teams needs now and in the future, without handcuffing the future. “Sustainable success”.

I’m not surprised we will not go into the season with zero cap flexibility, or “in a pickle” as Andlauer said. We can sign Pinto and still have some room to manoeuvre now.

Also, have to think dumping Joseph is not just an on-ice play based decision. We needed the space, sure, but I’m guessing they also wanted to move him for other reasons.

Finally, so refreshing to have a GM at the mic that sounds professional and competent. I’m even happy that the leaks have been plugged, everything stays close to the chest as it should.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The issue is you're looking at each deal in a vacuum and basing whether it's "good or bad" on your personal perception of a player's value instead of looking at the deals as pieces in the larger puzzle of constructing a balanced roster while considering the context of this team's performance over the last several seasons.

Something tells me you'll find away to convince yourself any move Staios makes has some kind of special context that justifies it.

Perron vs Joseph + 3rd + 1M

Pretty obvious which one is better.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Something tells me you'll find away to convince yourself any move Staios makes has some kind of special context that justifies it.

Why do you keep comparing Perron to Joseph?

Amadio is the comparable.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024

For this roster? I'd take Perron without thinking twice.

Chippy veteran who's great down low and on the cycle, has Stanley Cup pedigree and can still contribute 40-50 points in a secondary role while providing stability and leadership in the room for an immature and inexperienced core that badly needs it.

And as someone else said, Amadio is the Joseph replacement, much moreso than Perron.

The crux of it, though, is that this roster was very poorly contructed. And the results speak for themselves.

But after the last couple of weeks, we have much more balance and flexibility to move forward.

Even if, when looked at in a vacuum, some of the trades may not have returned as much "value" as fans wanted.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He lost his spot to Brossoit and then Hill. He was seen as their third string goalie. There is a reason he went for two third round picks.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I don't know much about Jensen but it seems like people are forgetting how terrible defensively Chychrun was. His lazy one hand on the stick is infuriating to watch not to mention how lost he is defensively. Guy can one time the puck and is decent on the power play but the defensive side of his game was trash.
Omg I forgot how much I absolutely f***ing hated his one handed stick work.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
For this roster? I'd take Perron without thinking twice.

Chippy veteran who's great down low and on the cycle, has Stanley Cup pedigree and can still contribute 40-50 points in a secondary role while providing stability and leadership in the room for an immature and inexperienced core that badly needs it.

And as someone else said, Amadio is the Joseph replacement, much moreso than Perron.

The crux of it, though, is that this roster was very poorly contructed. And the results speak for themselves.

But after the last couple of weeks, we have much more balance and flexibility to move forward.

Even if, when looked at in a vacuum, some of the trades may not have returned as much "value" as fans wanted.

Joseph actually outscored Perron at even strength last year. Only reason Perron had more points last year is because he played almost 3 minutes a game on the top PP unit of Detroit, while Joseph only played 54 seconds a game on the second unit.

He won't get that here with Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson and Giroux in our top 6. Might push Greig out of the top 6, which I don't love and put up 40-50P because of it, but that doesn't mean he'll be more valuable than Joseph all-around.

Not sure why people are so hyperfocused on who Joseph's replacement is. We had room for a top 9 forward and we signed two. Could have just signed Amadio and rolled out an excellent shutdown line of Joseph-Pinto-Amadio, not to mention keeping the 3rd and having an extra 1M in cap space to help extend Pinto and maybe add some depth.

He lost his spot to Brossoit and then Hill. He was seen as their third string goalie. There is a reason he went for two third round picks.

All of this is incorrect.

He was the starting goalie for the Knights in 22/23, got injured in the playoffs and then Brossoit/Hill took over.

Brossoit played on Winnipeg this past season and Thompson split starts with Hill. Just like in 22/23 he played the most games of any Vegas goalie at 46.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad