Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It’s depressing to think about where we be if we:
A: didn’t waste 10OA on Tyler Boucher
B: didn’t move those 1st rounders for DeBrincat and Chychrun

Dorion left Staios with not much to work with… although I haven’t loved his moves so far beyond Ullmark
Ullmark is a one year and gone player at this time. If Staios signs him to a longer term contract, the trade for him would be good.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Kastelic is also out!
Is this a positive or a negative for you?

I have it as neutral on my sheet.
Ullmark is a one year and gone player at this time. If Staios signs him to a longer term contract, the trade for him would be good.
Still a lot more flexibility without Korpisalo's contract in the way though. Without that, even if Ullmark moves on, they would have the chance to at least try to pivot rather than end up trying to work around a Jack Campbell situation.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Still a lot more flexibility without Korpisalo's contract in the way though. Without that, even if Ullmark moves on, they would have the chance to at least try to pivot rather than end up trying to work around a Jack Campbell situation.
Not a negative for me. I preferred to move on from him more than I did from Kelly. Kelly was more consistent. Kastelic hadn't found that yet.. and he just seemed to have heavy boots to get up and down the ice and bring it every shift.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's not like we had Pinto to start last year either. So if he's here, that's a plus, if not it's the same.
They desperately need Pinto. Only real shut down center in the organization. He's also the only right handed C. With Norris's injury situation I can't see a scenario they 100 percent don't have him. They have 4.4 million. They also need Joseph's speed. Not sure how they make the room. Maybe they just actually know Norris isn't gonna play. I dunno. Buy out Hamonic?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not a negative for me. I preferred to move on from him more than I did from Kelly. Kelly was more consistent. Kastelic hadn't found that yet.. and he just seemed to have heavy boots to get up and down the ice and bring it every shift.
Heavy boots seems to be a good way to put it. I often just felt like he was behind the play and chasing it. Not as much of a banger as I thought he'd be. I'd have been okay if he stayed, but am also happy to try someone else.

Kelly I liked, for sure.

Reactions: BigRig4

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think the moves have been terrible overall, outside of Ullmark who is a one year rental as of now (and will most likely leave since this team isn’t going anywhere)

Perron and Jensen would have been great 2-3 years ago.

Pinto or Joseph will also be out as the cap is getting tight despite a very ordinary team

No way Jensen + Kleven is an upgrade over Chychrun + Brannstrom
Jensen + Klevin is a big upgrade on Chychrun + Brannstrom. Chychrun was the worst skater on the team last year other than maybe Kubalik.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They desperately need Pinto. Only real shut down center in the organization. He's also the only right handed C. With Norris's injury situation I can't see a scenario they 100 percent don't have him. They have 4.4 million. They also need Joseph's speed. Not sure how they make the room. Maybe they just actually know Norris isn't gonna play. I dunno. Buy out Hamonic?
Can’t buy Hamonic out anymore. Replacing Joseph for cheaper would free up enough dollars to get Pinto longer term but a 2 year bridge works at 3

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Jensen + Klevin is a big upgrade on Chychrun + Brannstrom. Chychrun was the worst skater on the team last year other than maybe Kubalik.
Light years ahead defenisvely.

Can’t buy Hamonic out anymore. Replacing Joseph for cheaper would free up enough dollars to get Pinto longer term but a 2 year bridge works at 3
Joseph is a more useful player than people think. They don't have alot of team speed. Sens added two guys with slow boots. I kinda wish they had just signed Amadio.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Light years ahead defenisvely.

Joseph is a more useful player than people think. They don't have alot of team speed. Sens added two guys with slow boots. I kinda wish they had just signed Amadio.
Gregor is extremely fast.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So that's the only option. I mean does anyone think Norris is going to play? They're gonna have 8 million to use.

Trading Joseph when they need his speed and PK ability to fit in a player that won't play would be irresponsible.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So that's the only option. I mean does anyone think Norris is going to play? They're gonna have 8 million to use.

Trading Joseph when they need his speed and PK ability to fit in a player that won't play would be irresponsible.
Hard situation to read. The recovery time says he should be ready to go and in Staios's presser today he said Norris was in the building and is on track with his recovery.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hard situation to read. The recovery time says he should be ready to go and in Staios's presser today he said Norris was in the building and is on track with his recovery.
What's his actual recovery? Because he was scared to take contact last year. That's not a player you can spend 8 million on. If he was too scared/injured to take a hit last year and he's had another surgery I don't see a scenario where he can play.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What's his actual recovery? Because he was scared to take contact last year. That's not a player you can spend 8 million on. If he was too scared/injured to take a hit last year and he's had another surgery I don't see a scenario where he can play.
Well they said at the time it was 4-6 months and I think camp was 7 months from then?

I think something was up last year. They were weirdly guarded about it and even more so at the start of camp. Seemed like they were aware something was off, but there was no option but to proceed. The way Staios has addressed it to me has been more matter of fact, but who knows. I'm cautiously optimistic, but you're right, he needs to be confident in it and play that way to be worth it.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Well they said at the time it was 4-6 months and I think camp was 7 months from then?

I think something was up last year. They were weirdly guarded about it and even more so at the start of camp. Seemed like they were aware something was off, but there was no option but to proceed. The way Staios has addressed it to me has been more matter of fact, but who knows. I'm cautiously optimistic, but you're right, he needs to be confident in it and play that way to be worth it.
Seemed to me like it popped out right before training camp because it was too loose and they knew it needed to be redone. Everything was good leading up to camp then all of a sudden he was taking it slow and couldn't shoot or take a hit.

I'm hoping this surgery was done right this time and he can be confident in it again.

Reactions: LiseL and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, Staios seemed quite positive wrt Norris' progress, so given we didn't seem to blow our budget, I suspect he thinks Norris will play.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Seemed to me like it popped out right before training camp because it was too loose and they knew it needed to be redone. Everything was good leading up to camp then all of a sudden he was taking it slow and couldn't shoot or take a hit.

I'm hoping this surgery was done right this time and he can be confident in it again.
Ya it seems plausible. Hard to say from the outside, but it seemed like it had gone off the rails a bit and optimism was being tempered. I'm also hoping he finds his way back. Would make the outlook of the team much better to have him plugged back in, even if not 2C.

Reactions: ottawagm

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Thank god we got rid of Paul too. Those huge young guys. So inconsistent.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Kastelic provided some size and physical play which I like. However, he did not always play a physical game but he was improving. As a 4th liner he was acceptable.

Hopefully Ullmark plays well for the Senators and signs an extension. If he does the trade would be good. Yes, there is more flexibility due to the one year deal versus Korpisalo's longer term.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Kastelic provided some size and physical play which I like. However, he did not always play a physical game but he was improving. As a 4th liner he was acceptable.

Hopefully Ullmark plays well for the Senators and signs an extension. If he does the trade would be good. Yes, there is more flexibility due to the one year deal versus Korpisalo's longer term.
That's fair. I would also classify him as acceptable. Basically neutral and if they'd kept him I'd have been fine with that too.

Lets hope. I was all about getting out from under that Korpisalo contract, but re-signing Ullmark is the obvious goal. It would be a huge boost to the franchise to have him come in and play well, while sticking around long term.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Yeah he had his 3rd reconstructive surgery. It's never going to be the same again. He clearly had a very hard time dealing with his new normal. When that happens to someone over and over again you can't trust it. You feel discomfort every time you use it. He clearly couldn't adapt. I'm sure he wanted to but it's a pretty impossible situation. I don't know how or why anyone would think it would be better after the 4th time. It's just gonna be harder/worse every time.

I feel bad for him but my goodness did he ever cash in at the right time. Basically done at 22 gonna make 65 million.

Sucks for us fans too but if you're gonna be realistic he will never be the same again. Not sure what they can do with him but good for Norris he is set for life.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Yeah he had his 3rd reconstructive surgery. It's never going to be the same again. He clearly had a very hard time dealing with his new normal. When that happens to someone over and over again you can't trust it. You feel discomfort every time you use it. He clearly couldn't adapt. I'm sure he wanted to but it's a pretty impossible situation. I don't know how or why anyone would think it would be better after the 4th time. It's just gonna be harder/worse every time.

I feel bad for him but my goodness did he ever cash in at the right time. Basically done at 22 gonna make 65 million.

Sucks for us fans too but if you're gonna be realistic he will never be the same again. Not sure what they can do with him but good for Norris he is set for life.
I think Staios would be doing Norris a great disservice if he’s claiming he will make a full recovery while Norris is actually never going to be the same.

I don’t know that there’s anything to protect either. If a team is ever interested in him they’re gonna ask for his medicals. Actually if Norris’ shoulder was never going to be the same, I’d expect them to temper expectations, say we’re not sure when he’ll be back and he’ll need some time to adjust given the nature of his injury.

Reactions: LiseL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad