GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I like what we're doing with our forwards now. We should be able to put together three lines that can score. Each should also have at least one forward that's good at defense (though we now have both Kane and Tarasenko that can't).

Fix the defense and all is forgiven Stevie Y. Good luck

Reactions: Henkka

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I like what we're doing with our forwards now. We should be able to put together three lines that can score. Each should also have at least one forward that's good at defense (though we now have both Kane and Tarasenko that can't).

Fix the defense and all is forgiven Stevie Y. Good luck
That's why you have larkin and compher there. 200 ft centers than can grab some speed to join the rush to dish it to the goal scorer and shoot it pretty damn good themselves.

tarasenko goes on a two on one with compher, the goalie is going to cheat to tarasenko, but compher can still rip it if he is forced too. If you have larkin and kane on a two on one, it usually ends up with a goal siren. Good enough for me.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Poor Seider, we are gonna wear him out.

I'm still hoping for some defense help somehow.
Nah dude. We just need to tell him to run free. I remember in '22-'23 he'd see an opportunity to go on a rush and whoever he was with would dump the puck in and he'd literally deflate. Shoulders sagged and slowly turn for a line change. This past season he almost never did that because he knew he couldn't. If we're gonna run, let him run. He'll have fun. He's the best athlete we have with elite endurance.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
folks, we're not going to be a good defensive team. I think we should just embrace another year of firewagon hockey and go with it. At least it can be entertaining.
We dropped ghost, walman, sprong, and Fabbri.
We added Gustafsson, edvinsson ( he only played 16 games and should take a big step) and Tarasenko
Should be a bit better defensively tbh.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Two random things I keep swirling around:

1) I still think the "future considerations" is a hold on SJ to take Goalie or a Defenseman from us - the fact they only have only 1G and 5D and are holding fast at the moment only continues to support this entirely unfound conspiracy in my head

2) Give how many LHD we have (Edvinsson, Mattaa, Johansson, Gustafsson, Chiarot) vs RHD (Seider, Petry, Holl) - and yes, I know Chiarot, Gustafsson, and Johansson all play 'right' or 'left', I think I'm kind of leaning towards adding a Trouba or Ekbald - a true physical, stay-at-home RHD to pair with Edvinsson,

Toss up a Gustafsson/Johansson/Mattaa up with Mo and see which one of them has the best chemistry with him (I'm sneaky thinking Johansson's all round play and smarts ends up being super complimentary to Mo?); and let Trouba or Ekbald protect the crease and handle the rough stuff and let Ed, just, bloom and skate. Bottom pair of Gus and Chiarot and keep 2/3 of the rest.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

1) I still think the "future considerations" is a hold on SJ to take Goalie or a Defenseman from us - the fact they only have only 1G and 5D and are holding fast at the moment only continues to support this entirely unfound conspiracy in my head

2) Give how many LHD we have (Edvinsson, Mattaa, Johansson, Gustafsson, Chiarot) vs RHD (Seider, Petry, Holl) - and yes, I know Chiarot, Gustafsson, and Johansson all play 'right' or 'left', I think I'm kind of leaning towards adding a Trouba or Ekbald - a true physical, stay-at-home RHD to pair with Edvinsson,

Toss up a Gustafsson/Johansson/Mattaa up with Mo and see which one of them has the best chemistry with him (I'm sneaky thinking Johansson's all round play and smarts ends up being super complimentary to Mo?); and let Trouba or Ekbald protect the crease and handle the rough stuff and let Ed, just, bloom and skate. Bottom pair of Gus and Chiarot and keep 2/3 of the rest.
aljo is going to be a damn near godsend this year if given the opportunity. Can't wait.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Seems like Trouba ain't going nowhere. The press got ahead of themselves and didn't realize Trouba's NMC was pushed an extra year for his wife's residency program. Also from what I understand the Rangers have like 4 NHL caliber d-men on their roster right now.

aljo is going to be a damn near godsend this year if given the opportunity. Can't wait.
Steve seemed to suggest he is going to be on the DRW roster. They aren't going to subject him to waivers.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Seems like Trouba ain't going nowhere. The press got ahead of themselves and didn't realize Trouba's NMC was pushed an extra year for his wife's residency program. Also from what I understand the Rangers have like 4 NHL caliber d-men on their roster right now.

Steve seemed to suggest he is going to be on the DRW roster. They aren't going to subject him to waivers.
he will 100% not go to waivers. I can damn near guarantee that. They just need to provide him the opportunity.

He was going to be first callup two years ago up until he got injured for the season, then ed got called up at the end of the year. Horcoff said don't sleep on him.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Agree with this.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I think it's still too soon to start projecting possible lineups, especially any with Maatta, Berggren, AlJo, Veleno in them. The off-season is not complete until a respectable 2RD is added and any pure hockey trade for whoever that is could result in another player or two being needed.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I like the Tanko signing more after being able to clear out Fabbri. Still gives room for rookies to grab spots.

I think it's still too soon to start projecting possible lineups, especially any with Maatta, Berggren, AlJo, Veleno in them. The off-season is not complete until a respectable 2RD is added and any pure hockey trade for whoever that is could result in another player or two being needed.
Trade for Ekblad Stevie, add the mean, physical, gritty, SOB to the wings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Buffalo’s done nothing
Montreal added prospects but are still years away
Ottawa got worse
Tampa got worse
Boston got worse
Florida TBD, if they lose Ekblad they could be worse (also possible cup hangover)
Toronto arguably got worse

Tampa is about even. Gaining McD and Guentzel, losing Stamkos and Sergachev. I think they’re better defensively now.
Boston got way better. Ullmark is a product of that system.

It’s not just about our division though.
NJD got better.
Washington got better.
Carolina is about the same.
Rangers are about the same.
NYI is about the same.
Columbus got marginally better.

The west got stronger. That will swipe points away from Detroit as well.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Given Ekblad's concussion history I'm fine with him not being a crease clearer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad