Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tarasenko is averaging like 11-12 minutes a night in the playoffs - he’s had a good playoffs but you’re acting like we traded Daniel Alfredsson.

What do you expect to get for Tarasenko?

And it works both ways - if there’s a trade target that wants to come to Ottawa with trade protection Staois might get a good trade out of it - 2 x 3rd round picks for Tarasenko is good value
He literally got a 1st and a 3rd in a package one year earlier with almost identical stats, arguably he was having a better season in Ottawa than the one he had in StL before getting traded to his preferred destination, NYR and he had a full NTC then too.

Reactions: Mookie McGee

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We signed a UFA vet to a short term deal, then a year later, we have some draft picks to show for it. Would better picks be nicer? Sure, but NTCs are a reality of the modern league.

This is how the grind is done. It's not a bad thing.
Two thirds is better than nothing, but the NTC definately impacted the return we could have gotten. But we gave him that NTC knowing it would limit the return

Reactions: dumbdick

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He literally got a 1st and a 3rd in a package one year earlier with almost identical stats, arguably he was having a better season in Ottawa than the one he had in StL before getting traded to his preferred destination, NYR and he had a full NTC then too.

Yes and now he’s a 11 minute a night player, and he went to the NYR and had no impact so his trade value isn’t the same. You might be right that he could of gotten more from another team but that wasn’t an option so why we are going to argue that Staois did the best he could with a contract he did not sign but if the circumstances were different maybe he trades him to the NYI for more.

Not sure what people are expecting? It’s not like Tarasenko was our best player, many nights he was invisible. Good player but he’s a depth player now.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's 2 3rds in our pocket for a player that we agreed to give an NTC, who likely wouldn't have come here without it. And he's doing great for Florida, a city where his family has some roots.

Win Win.

Reactions: swiftwin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes and now he’s a 11 minute a night player, and he went to the NYR and had no impact so his trade value isn’t the same. You might be right that he could of gotten more from another team but that wasn’t an option so why we are going to argue that Staois did the best he could with a contract he did not sign but if the circumstances were different maybe he trades him to the NYI for more.

Not sure what people are expecting? It’s not like Tarasenko was our best player, many nights he was invisible. Good player but he’s a depth player now.
He's been averaging just shy of 15 mins a night in Florida, and 13:30 in the playoffs. Not sure why the last few games he's been getting 11 mins, could be a matchup thing with Edm, or it could be an injury, but Florida did not trade for an 11 min player, that's a completely dishonest portrayal of the situation.

As for his impact in NY, well he had twice as many points as Panarain, and 4 times as many as Trochceck, meanwhile Tarasenko's production was similar to how he'd performed in the reg season. maybe, just maybe, it wasn't a Tarasenko issue.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His family was living in Florida. It was the only team he would wave to. How many times does this have to he repeated? My goodness just get over it. They got something it's better than nothing. He didn't even sign him.to begin with to give him the NMC. The situations are not the same.

It's 2 3rds in our pocket for a player that we agreed to give an NTC, who likely wouldn't have come here without it. And he's doing great for Florida, a city where his family has some roots.

Win Win.
No idea why this is so hard for people to understand.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Tarasenko return was perfectly fine for the Sens

Sucks he couldn't get more, would have liked a 2nd, but it was a buyers market with a NTC and he wasn't exactly a huge piece

He didn't have that new shiny toy type gleam that guys who are being traded for the first time after being a star on his original team gets like he had leaving St. Louis. Same with Giroux leaving Philly for a huge haul, he wouldn't return anywhere near as much even if we was playing better than he did when traded to the Cats

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As we watch Tarasenko rack up multiple goals in the final, it amazes that we were able to acquire a coveted 5th round pick for his contributions to Florida's run for the holy hockey grail. What incredible GM bargaining! That pick might be barely outside of the top 150!

Of course, trade options were limited, but putting the asset in context of the big prize the other GM is striving for, and requiring a higher payment only where there is high success is a pretty basic negotiation tactic. The deal should have been a 5th, but it becomes a 4th if you make the 2nd round, a 3rd if you make the 3rd round, and a 2nd if you reach the Cup final, and maybe add back the 5th if you win it.

So far, trades and coach signing, Staois has not inspired any confidence that he can wheel and deal to gain the advantages that add up to a winner.
'Trade options were limited'

There was 1 option. That's it 1. It was either take it or get nothing. I'm glad we now have an organization that realizes something is better than nothing. Maybe the fans will be able to understand the difference someday too. But I won't hold my breath.

They interviewed 9 coaching candidates and spent months evaluating the roster before making a decision. With Jacques Martins in the room. With inside Intel on the type of players this team has and the coaching style they need. This process has not inspired confidence? How would you have liked them to do it? From a process stand point? Maybe you're implying you have a stronger hockey backround than. Staios, Poulin, Bowness and Martin? Please enlighten me on how you think they should have gone about hiring the coach. Im all ears.

Reactions: LiseL and vandelay

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His family was living in Florida. It was the only team he would wave to. How many times does this have to he repeated? My goodness just get over it. They got something it's better than nothing. He didn't even sign him.to begin with to give him the NMC. The situations are not the same.

No idea why this is so hard for people to understand.
Maybe if you followed the conversation you'd be less of a dick about it before responding. bert.

The initial claim was we were doing him a solid by accepting a poor return, which Hale disputed. As you point out, Tank was simply using his NTC and had no interest in going elsewhere. However, Tuna tried to imply two 3rds is just what a player like Tank is worth based on his performance, so I pointed out what he returned while performing similarly and under similar restrictions (a full no trade clause and a desire to play on one specific team).

I don't have an issue with the return Staios got, so I don't need to get over anything, but thanks for the advice; two thirds is better than nothing, and we were out of the playoff race, Staios did fine even if StL did a little better.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe if you followed the conversation you'd be less of a dick about it before responding. bert.

The initial claim was we were doing him a solid by accepting a poor return, which Hale disputed. As you point out, Tank was simply using his NTC and had no interest in going elsewhere. However, Tuna tried to imply two 3rds is just what a player like Tank is worth based on his performance, so I pointed out what he returned while performing similarly and under similar restrictions (a full no trade clause and a desire to play on one specific team).

I don't have an issue with the return Staios got, so I don't need to get over anything, but thanks for the advice; two thirds is better than nothing, and we were out of the playoff race, Staios did fine even if StL did a little better.
Ah ok no he is worth more than that based on last year it was probably a 2nd and a 3rd when looking at comparable players in value. Obviously the return is disapointing. But with him likely winning the cup that might be seen on favorably for free agents signing with Ottawa in the near future in regards to them accommodating a move. Ottawa is not a destination so any silver lining is something I will look for.

Reactions: Micklebot

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Didn't mean to reignite this ****storm about the Tarasenko trade return, was just pointing out that Florida obviously found out he only wanted to be traded there, which is why their offer was so poor.

I highly doubt they were given permission to speak with his agent, so I figure there was some BS going on behind the scenes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't mean to reignite this ****storm about the Tarasenko trade return, was just pointing out that Florida obviously found out he only wanted to be traded there, which is why their offer was so poor.

I highly doubt they were given permission to speak with his agent, so I figure there was some BS going on behind the scenes.
Well, I think there are a few things going on;

1. Almost everybody interested in him would have talked to him in the offseason, so they'd have an idea of where he is willing to go from those UFA conversations and rumours.
2. Everybody knew about his family situation, especially Florida.
3. Florida may not have been super interested in adding him, if they never called about him, it becomes us reaching out to them, at which point if they say thanks but not really the type of player we're looking to add with our limited cap space, and he's made it clear to us that's the only place he's interested in, there's not really a lot we can do other than lower the asking price in hopes that Florida says what the heck.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Assuming the Panthers win the cup and want to keep Tarasenko (who's apparently had a positive effect on guys like Lundell and Luosterainin), I wonder what type of deal he'd get. Probably 3-4 years in the $4 million range.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Assuming the Panthers win the cup and want to keep Tarasenko (who's apparently had a positive effect on guys like Lundell and Luosterainin), I wonder what type of deal he'd get. Probably 3-4 years in the $4 million range.
Zito was quoted as saying guys that wanna stay are gonna have to take a discount like Barkov and Tkachuk. I think it was mostly in the context of Reinhart, but I could see Tarasenko taking a small short term deal just to be able stay. They've got Reinhart expiring this year, Bennett and Verhaeghe expiring next year and I assume they'll want to prioritize them over Tarasenko.

Reactions: Samboni

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Zito was quoted as saying guys that wanna stay are gonna have to take a discount like Barkov and Tkachuk. I think it was mostly in the context of Reinhart, but I could see Tarasenko taking a small short term deal just to be able stay. They've got Reinhart expiring this year, Bennett and Verhaeghe expiring next year and I assume they'll want to prioritize them over Tarasenko.
Ya it’s going to be hard for them to keep tank. Plus they need some D as well as those you mentioned.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Was just (painfully) looking through the organization’s draft and trade history.
What a complete mess of mismanagement.

In retrospect it really hits what a joke this organization I’ve been supporting for decades was.

Promising refresh here. Hopefully it’s a big turn in the right direction and success is on it’s way.

I always said going back to when I first joined here that we weren’t winning anything until melnyk murray and then Dorion were gone. We’re finally here.

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Was just (painfully) looking through the organization’s draft and trade history.

In retrospect it really hits what a joke this organization I’ve been supporting for decades was.

Promising refresh here. Hopefully it’s a big turn in the right direction and success is on it’s way.
Gonna take a bit of time to fix it all.

Reactions: Icelevel

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I always said going back to when I first joined here that we weren’t winning anything until melnyk murray and then Dorion were gone. We’re finally here.
It got to the point that it was painfully obvious during Dorion's tenure, but yes, it dates much further back than that. I don't like when people frame it like the last core failed because of it. It doesn't mean they're entirely absolved, but they were basically handicapped for all of Karlsson's Senators career and the budget had a glaring hole or two in the lineup. They were always at best hoping to be a cinderella run type team.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

So much wasted time and opportunity through the rebuild.. Having a fn Buffoon at the helm... I say F the circumstances. That guy was a clown

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'm also on board at this time. Management is doing things the way they should have been done always. They needed to replace the GM and coaching staff, which they did. A lot of experience was brought on board with the will to show how good they can be quickly.

Now they are building from the net out, and the Ullmark acquisition shows this commitment. Give to get, and I didn't mind Kastelic when he was motivated, but the bottom line is, at least for the moment, goaltending is better and something we can build on. Ullmark will make a difference. Get him signed if possible.

Now comes the D. Need to swap a LD for a RD and temperament is important here. Also need to re-tool this area. I see building around Sanderson as the No1. Zub is a rock, Kleven should play as well. Chabot will too, or at the least bring something substantial back. Hamonic, Brannstrom, even JBD have had their shot. Time to look at Guenette maybe. A trade return/UFA signing will be an impact no doubt.

Then there is the Draft and this year it looks like we'll get at least one if not two good prospects. Having the PR to draft in the first two rounds is important to keep the brand in sight for people. Not drafting in the first three rounds last year was dark. A good trade might even bring us another 1st or 2nd.

More optimistic than a few days ago.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
rookie GM making the best trade this organization has made in the past 10-15 years. (not counting lucky ass fail upwards ‘pulling a homer’ trade that was the Karlsson trade).
For a rental? That 25th overall is going to be an NHLer, and in this particular draft possibly an impact player. I know the cap space is needed, which is good, but obviously we need an extension

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00