Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Muddy,

I read. I always go back to the original post. And read.

What I replied to was: Tnuoc is questioning what action(s) have taken place. And Wondercarrot is saying; well they changed the tradesmen. And a suggestion that we are being unreasonable. That somehow, we hired a contractor to build us the house and we want the roof built first.

My reply is: it is the team/contractor and not the tradesmen.

That Andlauer needs to understand, at some point, the project must be finished. The house must be built, built well and turned over.

In the real world, there are financial penalties. Failure to meet deadlines can be accompanied by fines and withholdings, etc. Regardless of who may own the company at the time.

As it appears, as it seems, we have yet to see any move that suggest they are working on the team. And as Tnuoc wrote. I will judge after I see. They have not done anything for us to judge. And judging itself takes some time.

When you buy a home, closing date and turn over dates are real and etched in stone. As courtesy, you may allow the previous owner a few extra days to leave. Those had better not hurt you, or impose on you. But you do not allow 2 years! And the seller may allow you 2-3 days to finalize your finances, not 2 years.

as for the long tome comment. Please, stop showing your ignorance. The fact that your attention span is that of a gnat, should have you embarrassed.
Nope wrong,
the owner of the building company was sold, and they got a new owner to build houses, and new managers to run the company.

Even though it’s a stupid analogy.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Thoughts on Doug Maclean saying he doesn’t think Giroux is a good leader and isn’t fulfilling his veteran roll with the Sens?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Ya I was listening to it in the background, but must of missed that part.

He was on with Wally and Simmer
Have to give it a listen. Seems like things are being forced on the team. Before, Melnyk and Dorion handfed crazy stories to the media every few months and now the new group is pretty locked down.

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
As we watch Tarasenko rack up multiple goals in the final, it amazes that we were able to acquire a coveted 5th round pick for his contributions to Florida's run for the holy hockey grail. What incredible GM bargaining! That pick might be barely outside of the top 150!

Of course, trade options were limited, but putting the asset in context of the big prize the other GM is striving for, and requiring a higher payment only where there is high success is a pretty basic negotiation tactic. The deal should have been a 5th, but it becomes a 4th if you make the 2nd round, a 3rd if you make the 3rd round, and a 2nd if you reach the Cup final, and maybe add back the 5th if you win it.

So far, trades and coach signing, Staois has not inspired any confidence that he can wheel and deal to gain the advantages that add up to a winner.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
As we watch Tarasenko rack up multiple goals in the final, it amazes that we were able to acquire a coveted 5th round pick for his contributions to Florida's run for the holy hockey grail. What incredible GM bargaining! That pick might be barely outside of the top 150!

Of course, trade options were limited, but putting the asset in context of the big prize the other GM is striving for, and requiring a higher payment only where there is high success is a pretty basic negotiation tactic. The deal should have been a 5th, but it becomes a 4th if you make the 2nd round, a 3rd if you make the 3rd round, and a 2nd if you reach the Cup final, and maybe add back the 5th if you win it.

So far, trades and coach signing, Staois has not inspired any confidence that he can wheel and deal to gain the advantages that add up to a winner.
They’ll end up with two 3rds, not a mention of a 5th in any of it.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Do you talk in analogies in person?
who are you are a sock puppet for?

You come off as a major dweeb. The class loser, who hides behind the teacher.

And you make @Big Muddy seem like a savant.

Goddam has our education system failed you.

Keep posting Dweeb.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Ahhh no
There is no fifth
Looking like two thirds

It’s a third and a fourth ,
if cats win the cup it’s 2 thirds

Reactions: Dionysus

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Thoughts on Doug Maclean saying he doesn’t think Giroux is a good leader and isn’t fulfilling his veteran roll with the Sens?

Interestingly I just finished reading his book on the draft .
Fun inside info.

Boyd our top scout worked along side Maclean often and he gave a ton of insight on who Boyd’s choices amongst some prospects.

Quite interesting

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Interestingly I just finished reading his book on the draft .
Fun inside info.

Boyd our top scout worked along side Maclean often and he gave a ton of insight on who Boyd’s choices amongst some prospects.

Quite interesting
what's the book called?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
what's the book called?
Draft Day, it’s a great read.

Future Greats and Heartbreaks is still the measuring stick for the draft though IMO, it’s a great book

And funny enough, it was Joyce joining the Blue Jackets Scouting team for an inside scoop for the year under Maclean.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRig4

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Two thirds for tank is basically a 2nd. Plus i feel they did him a solid with that trade, so a 2nd + Karma. That shit gets noticed by other players.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Two thirds for tank is basically a 2nd. Plus i feel they did him a solid with that trade, so a 2nd + Karma. That shit gets noticed by other players.

Don't think it had anything to do with us doing Tank a solid.

If anything the disappointing return was the result of Tarasenko doing us dirty by telling Florida that he only would waive his NTC for them.

Unless Staios gave the Panthers permission to speak to Tarasenko about an extension prior to the trade (unlikely and a mistake if so), that's not something Florida should have been made aware of unless there was some tampering/backchanneling going on between them and Tarasenko's agent.

If the choice was between getting a 3rd+4th and keeping Tarasenko for the rest of the year, likely harming our draft position, I can absolutely understand why Staios agreed to get bent over, but we took less to do Tarasenko a favour, rather than being forced into it.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

If anything the disappointing return was the result of Tarasenko doing us dirty by telling Florida that he only would waive his NTC for them.

Unless Staios gave the Panthers permission to speak to Tarasenko about an extension prior to the trade (unlikely and a mistake if so), that's not something Florida should have been made aware of unless there was some tampering/backchanneling going on between them and Tarasenko's agent.

If the choice was between getting a 3rd+4th and keeping Tarasenko for the rest of the year, likely harming our draft position, I can absolutely understand why Staios agreed to get bent over, but we took less to do Tarasenko a favour, rather than being forced into it.
Sens gave him the NTC so they can't really complain when he uses it.

He was within his rights to say he'd only waive for florida. And sens were within their rights to say no to that trade (especially to the retention part).

I prefer to think the sens appreciated him signing here and agreed to the trade partly in goodwill to the player, but your interpretation is also possible. Also, I'm not sure moving tank could have been realistically expected to influence our draft position all that much.

I also suspect the issue of a possible trade to a competitor if sens are out may have come up in Tank's original negotiations with Dorion before he signed.

I don't think there's anyone outside of those in the conversations who can say for sure how that played out.

EDIT: for a market like ours its actually not a bad UFA attraction strategy.

"Sign with us and we'll give you a full NTC and if we're out by the deadline we'll facilitate a trade to the cup competitor of your choice."

Rather than take a lowball deal on a cup competitor at the start of the season, you can sign here, get full contract value, and choose your landing spot at the deadline after most of the cards have fallen.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Tarasenko is averaging like 11-12 minutes a night in the playoffs - he’s had a good playoffs but you’re acting like we traded Daniel Alfredsson.

What do you expect to get for Tarasenko?

And it works both ways - if there’s a trade target that wants to come to Ottawa with trade protection Staois might get a good trade out of it - 2 x 3rd round picks for Tarasenko is good value

Reactions: dumbdick

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We signed a UFA vet to a short term deal, then a year later, we have some draft picks to show for it. Would better picks be nicer? Sure, but NTCs are a reality of the modern league.

This is how the grind is done. It's not a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad