Confirmed with Link: Update: Lowry suspended 1 game for hit on Kaleta

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Agree that the suspension is fair - sucks to not have him in the line-up on Friday, but c'est la vie.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
You just can't hit a guy in that position. You just can't. Hopefully this doesn't become a habit. Well-deserved IMO, NHL made the right call here.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
He'll get 2 games, minimum. 2-4 games, I would guess.

He's a first timer and was penalized on the play, so that mitigates it a bit, but this is exactly the kind of hit the NHL has been trying to get rid of for some time now.

Why is everyone still saying he will get two games I thought it was determined by the league he got 1.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Why is everyone still saying he will get two games I thought it was determined by the league he got 1.

Because that was posted 5 hours ago, prior to the announcement from the NHL. I edited the title of the thread rather than starting a new one.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Every reputation starts somewhere.

I would rather think of him having a reputation for standing up for his teammates which i think was the basis for this play, he went about it the wrong way and made a bad mistake, it won't become a habit. He already learned his lesson and we won't see that from him again I would bet.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was hoping he might get away with just a fine but I can't complain with 1 game. I expect he will have learned his lesson. His manner right after the hit was kind of like: "Oh no! What did I just do?"

Derfel*

Make sure to keep the GIF of the hit handy for future reference.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I am getting pretty good at predicting the NHL.

Tragically I just subtract 2-3 games off of what I think it should be.

EDIT: Tragically is way to strong of language, but you get my meaning.

Last edited:

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
@Struds1260: Adam Lowry should drink for free in any bar that has NHL players in it.

Intrepid

Jun 27, 2011

Ooof, surprised Kaleta isn't still stuck to the boards...

Last edited by a moderator:

folix

Jul 24, 2011
What frustrates me to no end about this, is the number one rule we were all taught when we played hockey at any level was NEVER EVER turn your back on the play. Be tight to the boards and turn your shoulder to the on coming player to protect yourself.

Now? I see dummies like this getting crushed into the boards inviting the hit from behind to get a penalty called. Im sorry I know its a penalty, I dont disagree with the one game suspension but good lord already that guy got what he asked for.

In the NHL let alone any level of hockey its so hard and sometimes impossible for the oncoming player to "pull up."

Never put yourself in a position to get hurt like ever. Its so easy to correct and if you watch the replay several times you can see he turns his back to Lowry, even though he knows he is coming. WTF ever happened in the last couple years that kids at all levels do this all of a sudden? Drives me crazy because its a fantastic way to get hurt on a multitude of levels.

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
After watching the clip again, I notice most that Kaleta dishes the puck then just stops skating. He knew Lowry was coming and made no effort to defend himself.

Lowry earned the suspension for falling into Kaleta's trap, but I have no sympathy for Kaleta getting hurt. He braces for the hit, he doesn't get cut and Lowry still gets the boarding call. That's just my opinion.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
After watching the clip again, I notice most that Kaleta dishes the puck then just stops skating. He knew Lowry was coming and made no effort to defend himself.

Lowry earned the suspension for falling into Kaleta's trap, but I have no sympathy for Kaleta getting hurt. He braces for the hit, he doesn't get cut and Lowry still gets the boarding call. That's just my opinion.

It looks kind of weird that Kaleta doesn't move a muscle after passing the puck. It's only a fraction of a second before Lowry hits him, but Kaleta doesn't shift his weight or turn his head or appear to be starting to move in any way...

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
It looks kind of weird that Kaleta doesn't move a muscle after passing the puck. It's only a fraction of a second before Lowry hits him, but Kaleta doesn't shift his weight or turn his head or appear to be starting to move in any way...

weird how? your saying he felt lowry coming....

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
weird how? your saying he felt lowry coming....

It just looks weird, how he's completely motionless for a split second between moving the puck and getting crushed by Lowry. I'm not necessarily saying he was trying to make it look worse or bait Lowry or anything - just how strange it is visually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad