Confirmed with Link: Update: Lowry suspended 1 game for hit on Kaleta

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Don't agree with this whole notion of good on Lowry for getting retribution. Its ridiculous. Yeah Lowry sure got Kaleta. He won't do that again. Only he will do it again and again and again cause he knows bone heads like Lowry will take stupid penalties getting him back. Its aggrevates me to no end when a player runs the goalie or somethign and gets a penalty then a Jet comes in and roughs him up. So rather than a powerplay we get offsetting penalties. But hey we sent a message that we won't tolerate that!!! Only it still happens cause "sending a message" is utterly pointless and what the aggrevator wants you to do. How bout take the powerplay and score a goal. That will send a much better message.

my thoughts exactly.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I know it's the second option. I was a die hard Canucks fan in 2011. I hate the Bruins and they really do get away with a lot. And have you ever watched an Isles Pens game? Those are the exact reasons why I hate the Isles. And their classless fans booing when there's an injured player.

There isn't some conspiracy. I just wanted some debate.

Fair point about the games (I don't see many Isles games so I can't tell you) but every fanbase has it's idiots.

I thought it was a bad hit but I think Kaleta put himself in a stupid position and Jet makes a great point. Plus, it's Kaleta, so whatever. Love Lowry, he's gonna be one of those guys other teams hate and we love because of that grit.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Right on.

The NHL had better start taking the stance and culpability of the victim in these cases.

I am going to sound like an old man here but in hockey you have always had a certain level of responsibility to protect yourself and not put yourself in a position of vulnerability. There are dirty plays and I do not condone what Lowry did but if you look at a guy like Kaleta, a useless POS who shouldn't even be in the NHL, who is consistently hitting guys borderline you had better be protecting yourself. Standing 2 feet from the boards facing them in live action is montumentally stupid for any player, never mind a player who plays over the edge and is a target at all times.

My honest opinion? Kaleta was trying to make good for taking a penalty and being the cause of the first goal against by drawing one and he purposely stood like that so that he could draw a penalty. I think its delicious justice served that the Jets scored SH and pretty much snubbed out any attack by Buffalo during that PP.

Guys nowadays have the mentality that the NHL is going to police bad hits out of the game. Sure, I think they need to completely eliminate headshots with a CHL type rule set but guys turning their backs to the play to protect the puck along the boards is dangerous and stupid.

Guys like Peluso are getting 3 game suspensions because they are getting set for hits and their opponent is presenting their backs at the last minute.

When two players are both skating towards the boards and the pursuer rams the opponent into the boards that is one thing, but when you intentionally turn your back, that should not be a penalty.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I find it amazing that no one here apparently has yet to notice the motivation behind that hit.

Earlier in the game Kaleta took a roughing penalty on Lowry... from the game sheet...

More than that, I think it was Kaleta's chicken wing that Frolik got his head out of the way of earlier in the shift.

Standing 2 feet from the boards facing them in live action is montumentally stupid for any player, never mind a player who plays over the edge and is a target at all times.

Yup, Kaleta turned his back, then stood there for an unnaturally long time. Enough time for Lowry to let up though, unfortunately. Lowry's emotions certainly got the best of him.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Lowry was seeing numbers the whole time, it's not like Kaleta turned 90 degrees. He did turn a bit, but I doubt that's worth anything. The responsibility is on Lowry to let up, much like Kane did one other time.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I said this before that will be the only time we will see that from Lowry, he made a bad mistake and is a smart enough kid to learn from that immediately, I've already seen games from him where he has let up on a vulnerable player but this shows what kind of respect there is for dirty, cheap players like Kaleta. I also agree with Jet's remarks. WTH was Kaleta standing with his back exposed for so long, stupid.

And how about fining Nolan for his remarks about revenge and as if Lowry has anything to worry about from anyone on the Sabres anyway. Adam can handle himself and they don't have John Scott anymore unless he's talking about noted pugilist Connor McDavid next year.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The NHL had better start taking the stance and culpability of the victim in these cases.

I am going to sound like an old man here but in hockey you have always had a certain level of responsibility to protect yourself and not put yourself in a position of vulnerability. There are dirty plays and I do not condone what Lowry did but if you look at a guy like Kaleta, a useless POS who shouldn't even be in the NHL, who is consistently hitting guys borderline you had better be protecting yourself. Standing 2 feet from the boards facing them in live action is montumentally stupid for any player, never mind a player who plays over the edge and is a target at all times.

My honest opinion? Kaleta was trying to make good for taking a penalty and being the cause of the first goal against by drawing one and he purposely stood like that so that he could draw a penalty. I think its delicious justice served that the Jets scored SH and pretty much snubbed out any attack by Buffalo during that PP.

Guys nowadays have the mentality that the NHL is going to police bad hits out of the game. Sure, I think they need to completely eliminate headshots with a CHL type rule set but guys turning their backs to the play to protect the puck along the boards is dangerous and stupid.
This is a very interesting discussion and shows how, with all the right intentions, the NHL has painted itself into a corner. With their new focus on concussions and injury reduction, which I completely support, it is almost impossible for them to avoid at least a symbolic 1-game suspension for a hit like Lowry's.
And yet, a player like Kaleta can 'game' that mind set, turn his back to the hit, and 'dive' into the boards. The difference between that and the usual dive is that the possibility of serious injury is real, but players like Kaleta may not even care.
All the while, it is politically incorrect to question his motivations, without being labeled a dinosaur and pro-injury.
Changing times, tricky situation for the NHL and a learning experience for Lowry.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
This is a very interesting discussion and shows how, with all the right intentions, the NHL has painted itself into a corner. With their new focus on concussions and injury reduction, which I completely support, it is almost impossible for them to avoid at least a symbolic 1-game suspension for a hit like Lowry's.
And yet, a player like Kaleta can 'game' that mind set, turn his back to the hit, and 'dive' into the boards. The difference between that and the usual dive is that the possibility of serious injury is real, but players like Kaleta may not even care.
All the while, it is politically incorrect to question his motivations, without being labeled a dinosaur and pro-injury.
Changing times, tricky situation for the NHL and a learning experience for Lowry.

oh come on. it's not like it was a last second turn of his back. he was set there for a very long time. lowry had two choices, he made the wrong one.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
oh come on. it's not like it was a last second turn of his back. he was set there for a very long time. lowry had two choices, he made the wrong one.
I was not making a value judgement about Lowry or his choices, but rather speculated about Katela's.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Don't agree with this whole notion of good on Lowry for getting retribution. Its ridiculous. Yeah Lowry sure got Kaleta. He won't do that again. Only he will do it again and again and again cause he knows bone heads like Lowry will take stupid penalties getting him back. Its aggravates me to no end when a player runs the goalie or something and gets a penalty then a Jet comes in and roughs him up. So rather than a powerplay we get offsetting penalties. But hey we sent a message that we won't tolerate that!!! Only it still happens cause "sending a message" is utterly pointless and what the aggravator wants you to do. How bout take the powerplay and score a goal. That will send a much better message.

Fan judgement gets clouded because we take it as an offense against us.

The truth is that revenge is only an effective deterrent if the threat is large enough for no one to do it in the first place.

Fans wanting revenge is fine. I want it often to be honest although I know why and what it really does. But, it does not deter (much), and if it did, the fact remains that the threat of physical harm could be redundant if the league installed an equally large non-physical threat towards the team and player (like more effective, consistent, and stern penalties, fines, and suspensions).....

Le sigh.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
why does that matter? kaleta could be prancing around taunting him, if lowry hits him from behind, that's on lowry, not kaleta.

You keep missing my point so I would encourage you to read my post again. I am not defending Lowry's actions and suspect he will be given a very short suspension. But, in the current climate it becomes almost impossible to speculate that players like Katela may be gaming the system without being castigated by the politically correct.
If you knew what I did for a living you would understand how little tolerance I have for unnecessary injury. But I have a pretty good grasp of people as well, and I strongly suspect that Kaleta is not just an innocent victim in all this.
Castigate away....

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Doesn't matter how much Kaleta "baited" Lowry into hitting him, you still can't hit a guy in the numbers like that. He barely turned. Lowry will be suspended.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
You keep missing my point so I would encourage you to read my post again. I am not defending Lowry's actions and suspect he will be given a very short suspension. But, in the current climate it becomes almost impossible to speculate that players like Katela may be gaming the system without being castigated by the politically correct.
If you knew what I did for a living you would understand how little tolerance I have for unnecessary injury. But I have a pretty good grasp of people as well, and I strongly suspect that Katela is not just an innocent victim in all this.
Castigate away....

I understand what you're saying, but don't feel it applies here.

It would be more applicable if it was more of a split second move by kaleta to turn exposing his numbers knowing the target he's presenting and the possibility of a player not letting up. That's where 'gaming' could come into play. A fair argument, but one that doesn't apply in this situation at all, imo.

As a broader point, I won't argue.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Unfortunately, any time a new rule is brought in, there will be those who figure out how to use that new rule. It's the same in any sport. In this case, there will always be someone who figures that if they stand in the right spot, turned the right way, there is a very good chance that they are taking an opponent out of the game. Especially if they are wearing more headgear than anyone else in the league, to protect themselves "in case" someone hits them.

But it's still up to the other players to be smarter than that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you knew what I did for a living you would understand how little tolerance I have for unnecessary injury. But I have a pretty good grasp of people as well, and I strongly suspect that Kaleta is not just an innocent victim in all this.
Castigate away....

I think you have a very good point. It would be nice if players like Kaleta could also be penalized for baiting but that would be entirely too difficult to prove. At the same time though we can't excuse Lowry because he was baited. The appearance of that might
mitigate the penalty though. I hope Lowry will resist the bait in future.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Are you making an appearance in the new Star Wars film?

25.jpg

Strangely I have a Lego Yoda key-chain. In movie, I may be.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
stupid hit. had his numbers for a very long time. should be at least a game or a small fine, as hits like that do not belong in the game. regardless of whom is hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad