Confirmed with Link: Ullmark signs 4 years 8.25

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I wonder what Dorion will say about this on his new platform? Will insecurities and defensiveness shine through? Hopefully he just leaves the Ottawa experience be, but I doubt it.

I don't think he will roast anybody or say anything controversial, at least not intentionally, unless he knows there is no chance he is getting back into the league. I could see him saying something controversial if his communication skills in French are at the same level as they are in English, but I don't think he will intentionally try to stir things up or be negative.

He will always have the Euge' card to pull in defense of his moves. I am not saying that is the full truth and Dorion otherwise would be an elite or even passable GM, but he can always say true or not, I had to trade for Debrincat because we needed to excite the fan base to sell season tickets, or I couldn't re-sign Karlsson because Eugene wouldn't go for it at market value and Karl and him weren't on good terms. Some of it might be true, some of it might be inflated.

I imagine his show will be a typical nothing burger hockey show and his take on Ullmark/Korpisalo would be he liked Korpisalo, sometimes it doesn't work out, and Staios did a great job to get Ullmark and find a place where Korpisalo can shine.

I still think he should become a shock jock. But that's never going to happen.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I don't think he will roast anybody or say anything controversial, at least not intentionally, unless he knows there is no chance he is getting back into the league. I could see him saying something controversial if his communication skills in French are at the same level as they are in English, but I don't think he will intentionally try to stir things up or be negative.

He will always have the Euge' card to pull in defense of his moves. I am not saying that is the full truth and Dorion otherwise would be an elite or even passable GM, but he can always say true or not, I had to trade for Debrincat because we needed to excite the fan base to sell season tickets, or I couldn't re-sign Karlsson because Eugene wouldn't go for it at market value and Karl and him weren't on good terms. Some of it might be true, some of it might be inflated.

I imagine his show will be a typical nothing burger hockey show and his take on Ullmark/Korpisalo would be he liked Korpisalo, sometimes it doesn't work out, and Staios did a great job to get Ullmark and find a place where Korpisalo can shine.

"*Extra long uncomfortable pause* It's a contract signing"

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005

This is basically it.

I don't understand why people are still so obsessed with Dorion. He's gone. Move on already.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like the 4 years...not crazy over the dollar mount. That's a lot of money paid to a goalie.

Crossing my fingers and hope it works out.
It is a lot of money for a single tender. However, if the cap is $90M with a 20 man roster, the average per player is $4.5M. For 2 Goaltender roster spots that would be $9.0M. Giving a top end goaltender $8.25M is a tad high, leaving only $0.750 for the backup. The cap will be rising, so I think we will be OK with this.

it's 5 years. this year, plus the next 4. You know what that means?

FYOUS
You just almost ruined it. Blah!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
so, we've got 5 years of Ullmark and that should take him through his prime.

have we been better set up for a Cup in our history?

Looking at the next 5 years

Stud Centre. Yes
Centre strength. Yes
A couple of high end D. Yes. i think by 26-27 that some might consider sandy and Yak amongst the top pairs in the league.
high end goaltending. Yes

Strength down the middle and D. That's the recipe.

And that doesn't even consider
High end power forward. Yes

I am not sure there's ever been a point in our history where you can look out 5 years and say we've been in a better situation

To be clear, a large part of that is we've never had what I consider a top end goalie signed for any duration. Anderson was our best and you'd never know which Andy you'd get from year to year and Lalime just always made me nervous.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Stud Centre. Yes
Centre strength. Yes
A couple of high end D. Yes. i think by 26-27 that some might consider sandy and Yak amongst the top pairs in the league.

I am not sure there's ever been a point in our history where you can look out 5 years and say we've been in a better situation

To be clear, a large part of that is we've never had what I consider a top end goalie signed for any duration. Anderson was our best and you'd never know which Andy you'd get from year to year and Lalime just always made me nervous.
We'll, we did have Hasek for 2* years while Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, Chara, and Redden were in their prime, unfortunately the lockout robbed us of one year, and Olympics injury robbed us of his services for the playoffs in the other...

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Stud Centre. Yes
Centre strength. Yes

Best goalie we've had since Hasek imo. I like our chances a hell of a lot more than before that deal was made. Korpisalo felt like a move to try to tread water for a couple years until someone else stepped in, whereas this feels like a play that could actually lead to contending.

Reactions: bicboi64

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We'll, we did have Hasek for 2* years while Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, Chara, and Redden were in their prime, unfortunately the lockout robbed us of one year, and Olympics injury robbed us of his services for the playoffs in the other...
they weren't all signed is my point...and coming out of the lockout, we were the team most regarded as suffering the worst hit from the salary cap. we had to start dumping players because of the cap.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Brighter days are ahead, getting Linus Ullmark is a franchise transformative move, other than the bottom pair everything else screams playoffs to me. Ullmark is really good, he could win another Vezina during his contract.

And we totally won that trade with Boston, what a great move to offload Corpse and get 4 years of Ullmark at the very least.

Last edited:

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
No surprise here really, there was no way this guy was going to spend over 3 1/2 million dollars in buying a home in Ottawa without having an idea that they talked about numbers. I said it all along this guy is signing!!!

Reactions: albator71

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Only big ticket players needing re-signing are Giroux and Greig, after that there's Kleven and JBD

We also need a goalie, and some bottom six guys.
JR said this morning that the cap is going to 92 so there is 17.5...and made a good point that right now they are paying almost $10M in goalies. Next year you have 8.25 and Sogaard at 775 I think, so we are good

Reactions: Micklebot

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
This is basically it.

I don't understand why people are still so obsessed with Dorion. He's gone. Move on already.
People still mention Mike Millbury as GM and Wayne Gretzky as a coach. Turns out when you're exceptionally bad at something you get talked about for a long time.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad