UHL Vet Speaks out against recent NHLPA members signing in UHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacketracket*

pkwjr said:
How come all the anti NHLPA people here are not knocking NHLers who went to Sweden, Russia and other areas to play?
I agree with Kerr's beef, and regardless whether the 3 Wings have agreements in their contracts protecting other UHLer's jobs, the fact remains that many lower-level players elsewhere have been displaced by NHLers.

I'm not for or against either the NHLPA or the owners, but I think the willingness of NHL players to take spots from lesser players in other leagues puts a dent in the "regular Joe, just trying to get what's fair" image they've projected.

Shadder

Jan 26, 2005
windowlicker said:
But more than a few will see their ice time drastically reduced, leading to less playing time, less production, less time to prove ones self. Could have an impact on future contract negotiations.

Your right, it could have an inpact on future negotions. These guys may get their ice time cut but at the same time they get to practice, play with, observe and just perhaps learn from 3 NHL players. Why just think, as a result of this they might become better players.

And I find it real interesting that no one picked up on the comp[anion article in the Detroit Free Press where Mechanics captain Blair Manning acknowledged that his first-year team has struggled this season -- they've gone 11-29-6 -- but says the players will have a "huge impact."

"If you'd have told us a week ago that these guys would be in the lineup with us, we'd have been pretty shocked and pretty amazed," he said. "Any time you add that type of talent at our level of hockey, it's going to be a huge boost."

Manning, 29, said he and his teammates don't feel pushed aside by all the attention the three new Mechanics have drawn.

"We realize where we stand on the hockey totem pole. None of us is getting rich," he said. "We play at this level for the love of the game."

Apparently, so do Hatcher, Draper and Chelios.

"There's no question -- you can't argue with that," Manning said. "They're going to be on the bus, and see the per diem money that we get. They're obviously not in it for anything other than the love of the game, and that's pretty neat to see."

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Shadder said:
Your right, it could have an inpact on future negotions. These guys may get their ice time cut but at the same time they get to practice, play with, observe and just perhaps learn from 3 NHL players. Why just think, as a result of this they might become better players.

And I find it real interesting that no one picked up on the comp[anion article in the Detroit Free Press where Mechanics captain Blair Manning acknowledged that his first-year team has struggled this season -- they've gone 11-29-6 -- but says the players will have a "huge impact."

"If you'd have told us a week ago that these guys would be in the lineup with us, we'd have been pretty shocked and pretty amazed," he said. "Any time you add that type of talent at our level of hockey, it's going to be a huge boost."

Manning, 29, said he and his teammates don't feel pushed aside by all the attention the three new Mechanics have drawn.

"We realize where we stand on the hockey totem pole. None of us is getting rich," he said. "We play at this level for the love of the game."

"There's no question -- you can't argue with that," Manning said. "They're going to be on the bus, and see the per diem money that we get. They're obviously not in it for anything other than the love of the game, and that's pretty neat to see."
...and it's fair to the other teams in the league too.

Randy May

JWI19 said:
Not one players from the motor city Mechanic has lost their job because these 3 signed. Thats was part of the deal. So it's a moot point but still you people love to piss and moan about it.

Ice time is almost as valuable as money. UHL'rs play for the love of the game and now they have to sit and watch because the NHLPA'rs do not play for the love of the game.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Randy May said:
Ice time is almost as valuable as money. UHL'rs play for the love of the game and now they have to sit and watch because the NHLPA'rs do not play for the love of the game.

the irony of it all ... Bring on the scabs!

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Shadder said:

Of course there are 2 sides to this. But you cant deny the facts. They will play for the Mechanics, stir attention for the team in the local press & the stands, some players around them may pick up a few pointers & brag to their buddies about playing along side Pros. But they are also taking playing time & possible roster spots away from other players who need the playing time & money much more than these people. You wanna stay in game shape? How about using your state-of-the-art home gym or renting a local rink.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:
I repeat; Are there not three players in the world who belong at that level that would love to have those spots and earn money to support themselves and their families?

Maybe your beef should be with Management. Since they kept those spots open. The point is no one lost their job because of these signing.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Maybe your beef should be with Management. Since they kept those spots open. The point is no one lost their job because of these signing.
That's your point, I have my point. I'm not going to repeat it again.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Who cares if they steal your job, theyre better players and they can play wherever they want to. People steal other peoples jobs in the real world ALL the time. The UHL players remind me of the rednecks in South Park when the future people come and rant and rave "They took our jobs"

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Who cares if they steal your job, theyre better players and they can play wherever they want to. People steal other peoples jobs in the real world ALL the time. The UHL players remind me of the rednecks in South Park when the future people come and rant and rave "They took our jobs"
Congratulations, you proved that you are as selfish as the players.

There is a difference between battling it out for jobs and having multi millionairres take away someones living when they could get hundreds of times more money if they wanted to.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
PeterSidorkiewicz said:

:handclap: :handclap:

At least youre 100% clear & honest in who's side you are on in this thing. This is also why the NHLPA has to be crushed utterly & absolutely in this lock out. This is about greed, from both sides.

The players want to maximize their potential at lining their pockets, same for the owners. The only difference is, in beefing up their bank accounts, the players do nothing for the game, while increasing their personal wealth, increasing exotic car sales in a particular area, or making a particular gentlemans club more popular. The owners are greedy bi****s, but they also own the teams. I dont care/mind if they want more $$, because its their league and if some of the extra profit goes to improve their teams, so be it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Steve L said:
Congratulations, you proved that you are as selfish as the players.

There is a difference between battling it out for jobs and having multi millionairres take away someones living when they could get hundreds of times more money if they wanted to.

Okay lets have Chelios and Hatcher battle it out for the UHL job. I wonder if theyre gonna win that battle vs. UHL players or not. Chelios and Hatcher being in the UHL have nothing to do with greed cause obviously I don't really think they care about the money the UHL is offering. It's a free country and you can do whatever you want to do. Also you ridicule the players making money by "playing a game," ARE the UHL players not doing the same exact thing? Making money to play a game? Why not tell them to go out and get a "real" job now instead of making money playing a game. Im sure they can make the same amount of money or probably even more doing something else.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
The job aspect doesn't bother me, it's the fact that theses players are destroying the NHL by not accepting a salary cap yet they go "condition" themsleves in a league with a salary cap. Maybe the players are right though. The NFL is a mess, the salary cap must be the cause.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
The point is....

The Mechanics are in last place, and average attendance is less than 50% of capacity.

Now, do you think that having 3 Red Wings join this team, mainly for home games, might help attendance? The money spent on the Wings is nothing if it helps draw more fans to these games.

Drawing more fans to these games will help these UHL guys KEEP their jobs in the long run. Hatch is a friend of the new coach, and maybe...just maybe...these guys are helping the Mechanics while helping themselves conditioning-wise. The fact that they would only do it if no guys were released should put to rest any of that kind of bunk. The fact that someone's ice time is reduced but more revenue is generated for the team is a worthy cause.

From where I sit, this seems to be a win-win.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
snafu said:
The Mechanics are in last place, and average attendance is less than 50% of capacity.

Now, do you think that having 3 Red Wings join this team, mainly for home games, might help attendance? The money spent on the Wings is nothing if it helps draw more fans to these games.

Drawing more fans to these games will help these UHL guys KEEP their jobs in the long run. Hatch is a friend of the new coach, and maybe...just maybe...these guys are helping the Mechanics while helping themselves conditioning-wise. The fact that they would only do it if no guys were released should put to rest any of that kind of bunk. The fact that someone's ice time is reduced but more revenue is generated for the team is a worthy cause.

From where I sit, this seems to be a win-win.

Dont use logic Snafu, after all they are taking away job from players who weren't even employed.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:
Kevin Kerr quotes:

''The hypocrisy of it is unbelievable. They don't want a salary cap, but they'll come to a league that has a salary cap and take someone else's job.

I make $700 a week, and I have a wife and two kids and a mortgage payment. Here I wish I could play in the NHL for a fraction of what they make, and here they're going to come play in our league for $500 a week. It's really bizarre.

I don't think those guys have ever wondered about working a day in their life. They probably make more in a week than I do my whole season.''

:handclap: :yo: :lol :lol:

Wake up NHLPA.

I agree 100% these guys are taking away jobs from people that really need it and they are absolute hypocrites for not accepting a salary cap in the NHL but playing in the UHL that has a cap. It would piss me off as well.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Good for him.... But he's missing the point that the guys want to be in games to be conditioned.

He knows he's going to get beat down by Chelios whenever they play, right?
Who says that Cheli could kick this guys ass, fighting is a two way street. I umderstand your point about them wanting to be in game shape in case this thing is settled but You have to feel for the guys whos jobs they are taking that really need the cash. I have to side with the UHL player here.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Not one players from the motor city Mechanic has lost their job because these 3 signed. Thats was part of the deal. So it's a moot point but still you people love to piss and moan about it.
If that is the case then this is cool, I just was mistaken and figured that they were taking away a job from a guy that really needed it.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
JWI19 said:
Dont use logic Snafu, after all they are taking away job from players who weren't even employed.

It's true, I was going to play for them...but then Hatcher took my spot...

This entire argument about players that were never there is so utterly ridiculous it makes me sick.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
JWI19 said:

Yet....

Maybe the management hasn't cut anybody with the signing of these players... yet. What happens in a month time when the fourth liner is playing 2 minutes a game or has sat out 5 straight games?

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
Joe_Strummer said:
I hope Kerr pulls a Domi-Niedermeyer and goes elbow to Chelios' head full steam and ends his career! ... their isn't a bigger piece of trash in the NHL than Chelios, never has been and never will be

The new post of the year.

:yo:

Kind of hoping someone knocks off Chelios's huge proboscis with the heel of the blade and freezes it between periods and then uses it as a new puck.

And if someone takes a run at Derian Hatcher's huge freakhead, that would be fine as well.

:lol

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
neogeo69 said:
Maybe the management hasn't cut anybody with the signing of these players... yet. What happens in a month time when the fourth liner is playing 2 minutes a game or has sat out 5 straight games?
That, along with ice time etc, has been mentioned numerous times already, but people keep dwelling on the “no players were displaced†aspect. But hey, apparently its logical to only see things through a single perspective.

Its not like the person who this thread is about has anything to do with this league, right, so I guess his opinion shouldnt count either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad