GDT: UFC 306: O'Malley vs. Dvalishvili/Bellator London: McCourt vs. Collins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
classic Chris Lee and Sal D'Amato cards
Came here to post this.

Lot of entertaining fighters aren't good fighters. In my opinion Sean got expedited to the title after only 1 win against a ranked fighter, a fight he arguable 'lost' to Peotr Yan, and Yan's strengths in that fight were the same as Merabs in this fight.

Sean struggles hard against wrestlers and he got to skip the pure wrestlers until today. Surprise surprise, he got dominated start to finish.
He definitely got pushed by the UFC to the title, and managed a miraculous knockout of aljo, I think if they rematched, aljo would take that fight.

I wouldnt say he skipped the wrestlers, He knocked out Aljo.

He got the same push that Pereira got IMO.

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Lol at that tweet saying lay and pray. He was really active on top imo.
I agree with you, he was constantly trying to advance and constantly throwing something. I don't think Merab has the ability to stay still long enough to lay and pray.

Herb Dean's constant "work work" 15 seconds into a round and 5 seconds into a takedown or new position will skew how some people viewed this fight.

There’s no way Dana doesn’t give him the rematch
A rematch for what?! It's clearly a mismatch and a stylistically boring matchup at that. Sean needs to greatly improve his takedown defense or getups before they schedule another fight.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I agree with you, he was constantly trying to advance and constantly throwing something. I don't think Merab has the ability to stay still long enough to lay and pray.

Herb Dean's constant "work work" 15 seconds into a round and 5 seconds into a takedown or new position will skew how some people viewed this fight.

A rematch for what?! It's clearly a mismatch and a stylistically boring matchup at that. Sean needs to greatly improve his takedown defense or getups before they schedule another fight.

Herb Dean, a wrestlers nightmare.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

He doesn’t deserve it it would just be incredibly on brand for the company

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

There was a moment in the fifth round when Merab was feeding O'Malley shots against the cage in stand-up and Herb was telling them to "work". I mean wtf are you talking about bud? Even the commentary was unanimous in questioning his instruction.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Herb Dean is one of the worst refs out there now, hes still living on his name.

After seeing the Sphere, this place isnt that good for UFC fights, I don't know how apparently the seating holds 18'600, with 20k if you include standing room, didnt look that big.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Herb Dean is one of the worst refs out there now, hes still living on his name.
This I will agree with you on. When Big John retired, Herb became the unanimous most experienced ref by default. It's been a steep decline from there, and I think he'll probably have some tough conversations after tonight.

He was very clearly trying to intervene into a fight to make it more exciting. He told Merab to "stop" when he kissed Sean's head (presumably stopping the action) but let Sean get up and hit Merab without resuming the fight. He's had several other blunders the last few years. He's trending down for sure.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I took a bath betting on the Mexican fighters tonight

Merab made it so it wasn’t a total massacre, but only because he hit that 6th takedown with 5 seconds left. Made me sweat it out

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This I will agree with you on. When Big John retired, Herb became the unanimous most experienced ref by default. It's been a steep decline from there, and I think he'll probably have some tough conversations after tonight.

He was very clearly trying to intervene into a fight to make it more exciting. He told Merab to "stop" when he kissed Sean's head (presumably stopping the action) but let Sean get up and hit Merab without resuming the fight. He's had several other blunders the last few years. He's trending down for sure.
Did he tell him to stop kissing his head? I didnt hear what happened, I thought Merab assumed the round was over.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Did he tell him to stop kissing his head? I didnt hear what happened, I thought Merab assumed the round was over.
He said "Hey stop" or "Hey stop that" and then touched Merabs back/shoulder (what a ref usually does to get a fighter to stop/separate). Then when Sean was getting up and charging at Merab, Herb said "Hey break" and looked like he made contact with Sean but decided not to get in between them, then pointed at Merab.

Completely mishandled the situation start to finish. I know you're not allowed to bite but I don't think theres a rule against pushing your lips against your opponents back and making a kissy noise?

Last edited:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Herb Dean, a wrestlers nightmare.
Thank goodness tho cause wrestlers who just control people on the ground are boring as f*** to watch. From what I gather this was more of the same garbage where merab controlled the entire fight but barely did f*** all minus some lame knees to the thighs and punches to the ribs lol. This is what I’m reading this morning at least. Ufc is just boring these days

• Wow
Reactions: MMC

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Thank goodness tho cause wrestlers who just control people on the ground are boring as f*** to watch. From what I gather this was more of the same garbage where merab controlled the entire fight but barely did f*** all minus some lame knees to the thighs and punches to the ribs lol. This is what I’m reading this morning at least. Ufc is just boring these days

Nonsense. Merab was always moving, active, and doing stuff on top. It was up to O'Malley to get out of the situation. Herb saying to Merab that he had to move/do something 15 seconds after being on top is bloody ridiculous.

You could argue Valentina was boring, and there was no threat of a stand up as I recall. But she did what she had to do. Very controlled fight.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He said "Hey stop" or "Hey stop that" and then touched Merabs back/shoulder (what a ref usually does to get a fighter to stop/separate). Then when Sean was getting up and charging at Merab, Herb said "Hey break" and looked like he made contact with Sean but decided not to get in between them, then pointed at Merab.

Completely mishandled the situation start to finish. I'm know you're not allowed to bite but I don't think theres a rule against pushing your lips against your opponents back and making a kissy noise?
Not the first or the last time Herb screws up a fight unfortunately.

Nonsense. Merab was always moving, active, and doing stuff on top. It was up to O'Malley to get out of the situation. Herb saying to Merab that he had to move/do something 15 seconds after being on top is bloody ridiculous.

You could argue Valentina was boring, and there was no threat of a stand up as I recall. But she did what she had to do. Very controlled fight.
Both fights was a bunch of lay and pray to the point it wasnt a fun fight to watch.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Just saying what I read. I don’t pay for ufc anymore as it’s pretty garbage and the one site I used to watch the fights the next day now doesn’t play them.

Just because you are active on top in terms of changing positions and advancing doesn’t mean shit if you aren’t doing any serious damage. From what I gather that’s exactly what happened with merab sprinkling in some love taps to the ribs and he knees omalleys thigh a bunch or something?

Anyways sounded like a very boring fight. Not surprising in the least.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Just saying what I read. I don’t pay for ufc anymore as it’s pretty garbage and the one site I used to watch the fights the next day now doesn’t play them.

Just because you are active on top in terms of changing positions and advancing doesn’t mean shit if you aren’t doing any serious damage. From what I gather that’s exactly what happened with merab sprinkling in some love taps to the ribs and he knees omalleys thigh a bunch or something?

Anyways sounded like a very boring fight. Not surprising in the least.

Obviously does mean shit, considering he won the fight. Merab's performance is already being underrated. Why does kneeing the thigh not count? He's not the hardest puncher, but it was more than just love taps. He dominated this fight and it should have been a unanimous 49-46 scorecard. Blame O'Malley for not doing enough/not getting out of it. Wrestling/ground control is a big part of MMA. Fair enough, you're not watching. Plenty of people still are.

Reactions: Avs_19

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Obviously does mean shit, considering he won the fight. Merab's performance is already being underrated. Why does kneeing the thigh not count? He's not the hardest puncher, but it was more than just love taps. He dominated this fight and it should have been a unanimous 49-46 scorecard. Blame O'Malley for not doing enough/not getting out of it. Wrestling/ground control is a big part of MMA. Fair enough, you're not watching. Plenty of people still are.
Holding people on the ground and being unable to finish like Belal and Merab is never going to be a big draw.

Reactions: KapG

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Certainly not the best finish to the card but I enjoyed it overall. I thought the production and videos looked amazing on TV. Hats off to the UFC for pulling that off and hopefully it won’t actually be the last time.

Main event played out like many of us thought it could. Either Merab was going to do that with his endless gas tank or O’Malley was going to catch him, it ended up being the former. Not the most exciting by any means but Merab is a wild man and just a machine. His hard work paid off and good for him. I know he doesn’t think Umar deserves it but he totally botched that moment.

O’Malley had nothing for him until those front kicks at the end. He’s used to freezing people and I thought he kinda froze at times and had no idea what to do. Almost as if he realized Merab is just a different animal. Tonight is precisely why people had that running joke (or truth) about the UFC trying to keep Merab far away from him for as long as possible. Do O’Malley vs Sandhagen now.

I see some people upset with the scoring but I didn’t have an issue with the 48-47. I thought a case could’ve been made for rounds 3 and 5 to O’Malley. He can get those two rounds and still be dominated overall. Both things can be true.

Co-main wasn’t an entertaining fight either. Another completely dominant grappling performance. We definitely don’t need to see a fourth one. It wasn’t fun but Valentina is one of the best to do it.

Lopes looked good. Thought he could’ve finished in the first but still did what he needed to. He has earned a big jump in the rankings.

Zellhuber vs Ribovics was incredible. I enjoyed every single second of that fight. Hope they got taken care of.

Rodriguez vs Osbourne had some fun moments as well. I’m surprised Rodriguez was able to get out of the first round. I didn’t agree with the 10-8.

As for the negatives….

Herb Dean was awful. No one is there to see you so shut up, man. The unnecessary early warnings, another to Merab where Herb made him think the round ended and it almost cost him, telling Merab to work when he clearly was working, and finally telling them to fight as they were circling. Just terrible.

I also thought the broadcast team was horrible, which is often the case when Rogan and DC are together. Rogan has always been awful with the “it’s tight…it’s locked in….it’s over” but they took it to another level with the almost submissions. None worse than the co-main where you’d think Grasso almost subbed Valentina seven different times if you only listen to the audio. They also kept taking about this non-existent triangle when all she was doing was crossing her legs. Din Thomas is a much better analyst and commentator than both of those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad