GDT: UFC 304: Edwards vs. Muhammad 2

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
How can anyone argue that Belal is not a boring fighter? Just because Leon is extremely boring as well doesn’t make Belal exciting, just like Belal slamming Leon on his head in otherwise very bland fight doesn’t make the fight exciting.

I don’t think anyone is saying that Belal isn’t a good fighter, but he sure as shit ain’t exciting one.

Last edited:

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Bad business decision to toss out a young undefeated top 5 guy. He's only 23, use this to teach him, train him, and help him improve, that could be the next face of the franchise. He's Dagestani, maybe ask Khabib for a favour and try to teach him son professionalism (leave out the cage jumping).

I just think it should be a teaching opportunity not a cut and run from a clearly skilled prospect who has probably another 10 years in the promotion.
They’re in the business to sell fights. A controversial guy who’s tough to work with and has out of the cage issues like allegedly sucker punching his opponent can walk. Nothing of value is lost when we lose another boring crotch sniffer.

If you’re going to be a painfully boring fighter, be good to work with, take short notice fights and be a team guy.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
They’re in the business to sell fights. A controversial guy who’s tough to work with and has out of the cage issues like allegedly sucker punching his opponent can walk. Nothing of value is lost when we lose another boring crotch sniffer.

If you’re going to be a painfully boring fighter, be good to work with, take short notice fights and be a team guy.
There's a rumor going around that his agent was in talks with the PFL before this fight to get their number to drive up his price for the UFC. The UFC caught wind of it and said you can have him.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
No choice but to (begrudgingly) give Belal credit. He put it on Leon from start to finish to the point where they just had no answer round after round. The wrestling was great and he even landed some good shots in the stand up but that non-stop pressure was ridiculous. In a way, it almost reminded me of Izzy/Strickland. The inferior fighter (yes, I'm sticking with it) just pressuring all throughout. Leon may have looked a bit off but I think it was more so Belal making him look that way. Bring on Shavkat!

Aspinall does what he does, Blaydes does what he does in big fights. Not too much to say about this one other than to say Aspinall is really good and I really hope he gets his crack at Jones. That should be the only fight at the top of the division. No one cares about Jones against a completely and utterly washed Stipe. The only purpose of that fight is to add to Jones' legend and try to prop him up to be the HW GOAT by saying he beat the greatest HW in UFC history. Aspinall deserves a chance to unify the belts but I doubt he'll get it.

Credit to Paddy. I've been very skeptical of him and a win over Green doesn't necessarily change my opinion about his ceiling but he looked damn good. Put on a show and made it look easy against a very tough and experienced fighter. I loved that triangle/arm bar combo to finish the fight.
I'd never seen Belal fight nor heard him open his mouth. He was the more likeable fighter in that ring, on that night(middle of).

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Khabib was an unsellable and boring fighter until he became one of the biggest draws. Then he jumped into the crowd to attack a spectator. The criticisms against Mokaev can be applied to Khabib, and we saw his that turned out. Mokaev is only 23, immature, and he's still rounding out his game. I'm just saying those are the type of guys Dana should be investing in and putting in the effort to helping them become a professional, not cutting ties at the first sign of difficulty.

Also, it tells me how much of a casual you are if you call wrestlers "crotch sniffers". Go watch kickboxing or Muay Thai if you only want the striking. Wrestling has historically been arguably the most effective skill in the UFC.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Khabib was an unsellable and boring fighter until he became one of the biggest draws. Then he jumped into the crowd to attack a spectator. The criticisms against Mokaev can be applied to Khabib, and we saw his that turned out. Mokaev is only 23, immature, and he's still rounding out his game. I'm just saying those are the type of guys Dana should be investing in and putting in the effort to helping them become a professional, not cutting ties at the first sign of difficulty.

Also, it tells me how much of a casual you are if you call wrestlers "crotch sniffers". Go watch kickboxing or Muay Thai if you only want the striking. Wrestling has historically been arguably the most effective skill in the UFC.
Khabib pushed the pace, attempted to finish or advance position. That’s not what I consider a boring crotch sniffer. I enjoyed his fights. There’s lots of good wrestling based fighters I wouldn’t call that. Watching a dude stall a fight and do nothing is not appealing. That was a pathetic performance after all the “hold me back bro” stuff and the alleged sucker punch in the lead up.

Being a boring fighter with a bunch of out of ring drama and being notoriously hard to work with is not a recipe for success, especially not at flyweight. It would have taken a sizeable dislike for dealing the fighter for me to cut him though if I was running the show.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Khabib pushed the pace, attempted to finish or advance position. That’s not what I consider a boring crotch sniffer. I enjoyed his fights. There’s lots of good wrestling based fighters I wouldn’t call that. Watching a dude stall a fight and do nothing is not appealing. That was a pathetic performance after all the “hold me back bro” stuff and the alleged sucker punch in the lead up.

Being a boring fighter with a bunch of out of ring drama and being notoriously hard to work with is not a recipe for success, especially not at flyweight. It would have taken a sizeable dislike for dealing the fighter for me to cut him though if I was running the show.
I mean you're criticising the wrong guy. The whole first round was on the feet and the striker didn't strike. Mokaev threw twice as many strikes as Kape did, and lead the whole fight in both strikes from distance (landed and thrown) and significant strikes (landed and thrown).

Mokaev also only had 3 takedowns in the fight, Khabib's record is 21 takedowns in a 3 round fight. Saying Mokaev is a boring crotch sniffer when he out struck a striker and had 1/7th of the takedowns of the guy you said isn't a crotch sniffer... Idk man, think your dislike is misplaced.

Mokaev also has 3 wins against ranked fighters (4 if you count Durden). That's more than #3 ranked Albazzi, #5 ranked Taira, and #7 ranked Erceg, who already got a title shot. All I'm saying is it's a bad business move to cut one of the best prospects in the sport. Would have liked to see his career progress in the UFC.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It certainly seems like there’s a lot of smoke behind Mokaev just being an asshole in general and that’s why he was cut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad