GDT: UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Cruz won me over more after a loss than he ever did in any of wins. Handled himself really well in the post fight presser.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
She would be done, if she gets KO'd again.

She done.

Thank gawd I watched that for free. Retire Rousey

This x1000. I told my friend as we were watching the UStream, "This will quick", when it was over she looked at me like I was a straight up genius. :laugh:

Lost in it all...props to Nunes. She's legit and just because she doesn't have mainstream appeal, who cares? You watch this sport to see people who can fight.

YOU may do that but that is not enough. The sport needs people like ME who only watch big fights like this one.

Nunes' next fight will be on FS1 for free.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
CiXsqMS.gif

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
She was clearly outclassed and had no chance at this point, but was that a good stoppage? Should she have had to get beat on a bit more?

Yes, that was a great stoppage. It's clear she isn't able to intelligently defend herself.

The only thing that kept her on her feet at the end was the cage.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Any great MMA fighter loses here and there. I don't understand why she's had to be marketed as being unbeatable or the most devastating women's fighter ever. Rarely do athletes match the media and marketing hype.

Rousey was a good fighter until we were being told that no one could possibly beat her. You can't help but watch just to because you want to see her lose. Now that she's lost back-to-back fights...the badass aura about her is gone. She's not very likeable so who actually wants to see her "redemption story"?

Lost in it all...props to Nunes. She's legit and just because she doesn't have mainstream appeal, who cares? You watch this sport to see people who can fight.

Because that's how she portrayed herself and what her clueless fans wanted to believe. It was only a matter of time for women's MMA to mature. Ronda's scowl and armbar weren't going to work forever.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Rhonda was great when the other girls were scared and didn't have the ability to hit her back with any authority. Once she was fed a couple of hard punches, she didn't know how to respond and was clearly unable to take them when delivered by a world-class striker.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
With every other UFC champ they market their fights like the person they're fighting is a monster that can dethrone the champ (even if they're clearly not). With rousey though they chose to market it like they just wanted to see how fast rousey could get that person into an armbar.
Whether it was rousey who naturally has a "I'm the best" mentality or the UFC kind of marketed it so much that she began to believe her own hype idk. I'm just glad she lost.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Yes, that was a great stoppage. It's clear she isn't able to intelligently defend herself.

The only thing that kept her on her feet at the end was the cage.

By that logic, the fight should have never begun in the first place.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I'm anything but a Rousey fan but man that is a tough way to lose. Respect to her for getting back in the ring after the loss to Holm. Hopefully she recovers from this mentally.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
She's done for good. Her damn ego was so broken by Holm and this pretty much broke the pieces again.

She really did it to herself with all the trash talk. She's like the female McGregor...except Connor is actually the best.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
At 2:09, Sonnen pretty much sums up why Carano is the fight that makes the most sense for Rousey if she decides to fight again

From Carano's perspective, she would make millions off the fight, but I also think a lot of casual MMA fans today have never heard of her, so a fight with Ronda would propel her back into the spotlight and increase her brand substantially. And if Carano happens to win, you can give her a title shot

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If anything, she looked bad in her last two fights because of her **** poor coaching. She should retire, but if she doesn't, she needs to get a real coach in there asap.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
If anything, she looked bad in her last two fights because of her **** poor coaching. She should retire, but if she doesn't, she needs to get a real coach in there asap.

Hey now. If Ronda had listened to the great constant advice of "HEAD MOVEMENT!" then maybe things would be different :sarcasm:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hey now. If Ronda had listened to the great constant advice of "HEAD MOVEMENT!" then maybe things would be different :sarcasm:

When even your mom sees that your coach sucks, it's time to move on. Edmond Tarverdyan convinced her she was a stand up fighter and she's taken two beatings in a row because of it. She should have tried to go to the ground last night. Not saying it would have changed anything, but it would have been better than taking punch after punch in the mouth and then slinking off after a really pathetic beating.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
When even your mom sees that your coach sucks, it's time to move on. Edmond Tarverdyan convinced her she was a stand up fighter and she's taken two beatings in a row because of it. She should have tried to go to the ground last night. Not saying it would have changed anything, but it would have been better than taking punch after punch in the mouth and then slinking off after a really pathetic beating.
Edmund is pretty much the definition of a ****. Would've been nice to see Caraway take him up on his offer in TUF and kick his ass. The guy has some cult-like sway on Rousey.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
At 2:09, Sonnen pretty much sums up why Carano is the fight that makes the most sense for Rousey if she decides to fight again

From Carano's perspective, she would make millions off the fight, but I also think a lot of casual MMA fans today have never heard of her, so a fight with Ronda would propel her back into the spotlight and increase her brand substantially. And if Carano happens to win, you can give her a title shot

The analysis in the video by those three is spot-on, agreed with everything thrown out there by them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought Rousey's media blackout was suppose to end after the fight. But she did not do any do a post fight presser or backstage interview did she?

Dana said pre fight that Rousey will talk post fight.

I still can't believe what a mess that fight was.

illpucks

May 26, 2011

i mean....Floyd Mayweather offered to coach her at some point....and she didn't take the offer.

If Floyd was her coach this would have ended much differently...

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
i mean....Floyd Mayweather offered to coach her at some point....and she didn't take the offer.

If Floyd was her coach this would have ended much differently

He likely could help her on her defense, but I think the ability to be an elite striker is something you're born with and can't be taught

Obviously you can always improve, but I suspect body type - and more specifically fast twitch muscles - play a crucial role in that facet of fighting

Wonderboy, McGregor, Cruz, Gastelum, Holm, etc. are so light on their feet compared to their opponents, if it was possible to reach that level through training and practice, you'd see it more often

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

If Floyd was her coach this would have ended much differently...

I don't think a coach would make a difference.

I believe that she was traumatized by the Holly Holm experience .. and therefore fought, in a comparable fight, completely head in a bag.

I am convinced that any coach would game plan here toward a armbar submission on the floor fight .... and not a standing fight against a striker.

Probably, if she was caught in the web of ther Holly-HOlm trauma, she couldn't execute. The coach is powerless, except to bring here to a therapist.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think a coach would make a difference.

I believe that she was traumatized by the Holly Holm experience .. and therefore fought, in a comparable fight, completely head in a bag.

I am convinced that any coach would game plan here toward a armbar submission on the floor fight .... and not a standing fight against a striker.

Probably, if she was caught in the web of ther Holly-HOlm trauma, she couldn't execute. The coach is powerless, except to bring here to a therapist.

Who knows, but any half decent coach would tell you not to try box a professional boxer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad