GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
An ACL takes two years to heal fully.

This is a big year, mostly for his health. I think it's pretty clear that he's a 30 goal scorer if he can play 70+ games, which he's only done twice in his six seasons here. I think his skill level is still borderline elite; it's his availability that is the issue.

Also: compare apples to apples. Don't compare Nino's pace to Svech's peak. It's disingenuous. Nino's best year in Carolina was 24 goals in 75 games. Svech is clearly the more productive player when healthy.
Yep. In fairness though, 2 of those seasons didn't have 70+ games. His first four NHL regular seasons he only missed 5 games total and it's been the last two that he had injuries.

In 18-19 he played 82 out of 82 games
In 19-20 he played 68 out of 68 games
In 20-21 he played 55 out of 56 games
In 21-22 he played 78 out of 82 games

In 22-23 he tore his ACL and only played 64 out of 82 games
In 23-24 I think it was an oblique injury and he played 59 games.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If the rumors that Necas refused to extend with certain teams are true, then I wonder if now that he’s filed for arbitration and a contract guaranteed, a trade might be easier for an acquiring team to stomach.

They get him for sure on a 1yr deal and still have control next year.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If the rumors that Necas refused to extend with certain teams are true, then I wonder if now that he’s filed for arbitration and a contract guaranteed, a trade might be easier for an acquiring team to stomach.

They get him for sure on a 1yr deal and still have control next year.
I'm wondering if Necas just told the Canes to try to find a trade with his preferred team that'll sign him long-term and do it quickly if they want to get anything at all in a trade for him.

Drury is not going to like the arbitration process.
Maybe this filing was just to speed up the negotiation process by setting up a deadline by which he will either have a negotiated contract or a short one not to anyone's liking.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I vaguely remember hearing Necas was stressed out by the contract situation 2 years ago. It'd be nice if he can just get a deal for a while, and relax and play hockey. Kind of the opposite of a "contract year" effect.
Then he would need to accept that he can't ask for big money and just sign that contract.

Ultimately, the problem is that Necas thinks far too highly of himself.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Then he would need to accept that he can't ask for big money and just sign that contract.

honestly I wonder if it's the opposite, that the pressure of playing for a contract weighs on him heavily leading to him getting away from his game. His best seasons by far have been the ones right after signing a new contract to date, only to fall off his contract year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

That's probably a piece of it, but in fairness, any competitive player wants to play prime time and his chances were reduced this year.

A year ago, he put up 71 points, had a lot of time on the first PP unit, and 5v5 his top 3 line mates were Svech, KK and Aho. .

This past year, he was pretty much exclusively on the 2nd PP unit and 5v5 his top line mantes were Drury, KK (who sucked) and Bunting. Even so, his 5v5 scoring was 35 points last year and 32 this year so not far off, it was mainly PP production.

As Rod said at the end of the season. All the guys not on PP1 and not getting prime minutes don't like it, and Necas didn't like it, as it was a contract year. I don't blame him for that.

Now, it's fair to say that Jarvis took his spot and he should have beat out Jarvis, but it's also fair to say that Rod loves Jarvis

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
honestly I wonder if it's the opposite, that the pressure of playing for a contract weighs on him heavily leading to him getting away from his game. His best seasons by far have been the ones right after signing a new contract to date, only to fall off his contract year.
What I'm saying is that if that is indeed his problem then he needs to accept that his play has been lackluster, take a contract with term with a value based on that lackluster play rather than trying to get star player money. He'll play better with the long contract and *then* he can seek the star money if he does. But he thinks he's a star who deserves star money now despite his play.

But he thinks he's too good for that. He thinks he's too good to worry about puck protection and what the coach tells him. There are players who are good enough to ignore responsible hockey. He thinks he's one of them, but he flatly is not.

Reactions: Tryamw and Daeavorn

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t think he puts himself in rarified air. His career is short so he and his agent are doing what they have to do to get him where he wants to be. He’s exerting as much control as he can. I’m not worried about Drury, as most of these cases settle before the battle begins. Not sure about Necas though. To me it’s an obvious choice to choose for this, as Tulsky himself said it makes no sense for Necas to sign one because it gives us control over him.

This way he gets a fair contract with short term.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I don’t think he puts himself in rarified air. His career is short so he and his agent are doing what they have to do to get him where he wants to be. He’s exerting as much control as he can. I’m not worried about Drury, as most of these cases settle before the battle begins. Not sure about Necas though. To me it’s an obvious choice to choose for this, as Tulsky himself said it makes no sense for Necas to sign one because it gives us control over him.

This way he gets a fair contract with short term.
Is there a complicating factor in that his significant other has career aspirations too (and needs to be in another market, ie Trouba situation in reverse <he needs to stay>)?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m not surprised about Drury filing for arb, didn’t he request a trade at one point a year or two ago?
In the grand scheme of things, I much prefer Kotkaniemi over Drury, the major downside is of course Kotkaniemi’s contract.

I’m too am not surprised he filed for arbitration. He’s probably looking for $2M+, I don’t think he’s got a shot at that sort of deal with the Canes as long as Kotkaniemi and Kuznetsov are still on roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad