GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s better than Necas and, in this scenario I’m making up in my head, would want to be here.
Well he’s 25, just scored 30+ and has four years left on a fair contract. He’s going to cost us a lot more than Necas. I’d love to have him but I don’t know that he fits the team we want, or that we’d pull off the trade.

As you’re alluding to, I’d also be curious about where he wants to play if Utah doesn’t suit him. With four years left, that may not matter that much.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
Necas stays, KK goes. 2LW brought in through a futures package. Kuznetsov works his ass off this summer and is a proper 2C.

Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Trade - Kuzy - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Roslovic
Carrier - Drury - Robinson
Lemieux
Can someone explain how "futures" work for someone with no idea what this means?

Not saying it's me.. just sure there has to be someone wondering.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can someone explain how "futures" work for someone with no idea what this means?

Not saying it's me.. just sure there has to be someone wondering.
people use the word "futures" to mean draft picks or prospects. So the return won't be an NHLr who helps the team now, but assets that can help in the future.

So that poster was suggesting that a 2LW would be traded for by using draft picks and/or prospects coming from the Canes.

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
people use the word "futures" to mean draft picks or prospects. So the return won't be an NHLr who helps the team now, but assets that can help in the future.

So that poster was suggesting that a 2LW would be traded for by using draft picks and/or prospects coming from the Canes.
So it's a way to lump them together in an abbreviated way.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So it's a way to lump them together in an abbreviated way.
And also in non-committal way, avoiding the problem of actually having to name the pick(s) and/or the prospect(s) that would form our end of the trade and of whom the dancing partner supposedly would be interested of. "I want *that* guy for an assortment of our loose crap." I can name 32 NHL teams whose fans are good in this.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Care to share your goals per player that goes into that 195?
Svech - 26/Aho - 34/RW- ?
LW - ?/Kuzy - 15/RW - ?
Martinook - 10/Staal - 14/Roslovic - 12
Robinson - 10/KK - 13/Carrier - 11

Slavin - 6/Burns - 13
Orlov - 7/Walker - 6
Ghost - 12/Chatty - 6

For most of the guys I did a goals per 82 calculation....I think I just ball-parked a couple though (Kuzy? Martinook?).

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Dundon Mifflin

Jul 14, 2022
Since the FA frenzy wasn't a complete disaster, when is the title of the thread changing to this:
1000006347.jpg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I believe it was the Caps traded Orpik to Colorado, who then bought him out and he re-signed with the Caps.
This is not too much unlike the bullshit that we got thrown the book at in relation to Philly and Tony DeAngelo, even if it was the Philly that signed him (very soon after trading for his rights).

I think a trade (and retention) makes it worse than just buying a player out and then having buyer's remorse in an intra-team setup.

Reactions: DaveG

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
could we afford Nacas 8x8 yrs and have Bridge Jarvis to like 2 yrs and then sign him for 8 yr when time comes? Tell Necas we want one yr or Two from ya and then if u still wanna leave we will trade ya , to one of his 10 Teams .... 8M will be a nice contract next yr for a Team that wants him , make him play on PP1 and Aho to rack the points so his Value rises even more

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
could we afford Nacas 8x8 yrs and have Bridge Jarvis to like 2 yrs and then sign him for 8 yr when time comes? Tell Necas we want one yr or Two from ya and then if u still wanna leave we will trade ya , to one of his 10 Teams .... 8M will be a nice contract next yr for a Team that wants him , make him play on PP1 and Aho to rack the points so his Value rises even more
If Necas is signing another contract with the Canes, it’s for just 1 year (most likely) or 2 years (walking him to UFA) in my opinion. I think there’s too been too much out in the open for them to makeup now and sign him to a max term deal. I actually think a max term deal for him would be the best outcome for the team, but also think that ship has sailed.

If he’s still a Cane next year, I think it’s because he’s on a $6-7M x 1 deal awarded through arbitration.

I guess by this time tomorrow we’ll know if he’s filed.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Is he really getting that much better? I have spent a lot of time defending him, expecting that any minute how he’d become that high-level threat he was drafted to be, but he’s still basically that same ~25 goal guy he has always been. It’s not a lack of talent or effort. It might be the injuries, I don’t know. But again going back to Nino, that’s about the caliber of impact player Svech has been for us despite looking a lot sexier in how he does it. At 24, he’s due for a little more improvement but it needs to come on pretty soon because he’s not a fresh faced kid in this league.
Nino’s best season as a Hurricane was a 24 goal 44 point campaign.

Svech had 30 goals and 67 points that season.

Has he plateaued, maybe? But he’s plateaued at pacing for 29 goals and 72 points per 82 games over the last 3 years with an ACL tear in the middle.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Svech - 26/Aho - 34/RW- ?
LW - ?/Kuzy - 15/RW - ?
Martinook - 10/Staal - 14/Roslovic - 12
Robinson - 10/KK - 13/Carrier - 11

Slavin - 6/Burns - 13
Orlov - 7/Walker - 6
Ghost - 12/Chatty - 6

For most of the guys I did a goals per 82 calculation....I think I just ball-parked a couple though (Kuzy? Martinook?).
Unlike you to be so conservative and realistic. :sarcasm:

I think you are underestimating on a few. Not huge numbers, but it adds up and I can see another 10-12 goals from that:

-Svech has averaged 29G/82 games over the past 3 seasons
- Aho has averaged 39G/82 games over the past 5 seasons and has 37, 36, and 36 the last 3.
- Martinook has 13 and 14 over the last 2 seasons
- Walker had 10 last year when he got a chance in a more offensive role and he should bet more opportunities in Carolina.
- Chatty had 8 last year and should get a bit of a bigger role this year.

That takes your 82 goal diff down to about 70 which IMO, isn't unrealistic.

if we assume a reasonable 50-55 from Jarvis/Necas, that leave's a differential of 15-20. Maybe not as problematic as it's made out to be.

Of course not every player is going to play 82 games, but backfill won't be held scoreless either. Lemieux, TDA, and Pono had 7 goals in limited playing time last year. And of course some players may score lower than their average, but others may score higher as well.

Now, if the Canes trade Necas in a futures deal, then it becomes a bigger issue.

SilverBlitzon

May 24, 2020
I just noticed that there are 9 defensemen signed for the non-roster. Does anyone know if all 9 of these players are supposed to be playing in North America this upcoming season?

Out of these 9, I only see Legault as a possibility to play in the ECHL which means of course that we would have 8 defensemen slotted for the AHL if none of them are on loan to play in Europe this year.

I gotta think one of them would be in a possible trade package with Necas along with one of the 28 third line forwards we currently have under contract.

1720189854197.jpeg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I just noticed that there are 9 defensemen signed for the non-roster. Does anyone know if all 9 of these players are supposed to be playing in North America this upcoming season?

Out of these 9, I only see Legault as a possibility to play in the ECHL which means of course that we would have 8 defensemen slotted for the AHL if none of them are on loan to play in Europe this year.

I gotta think one of them would be in a possible trade package with Necas along with one of the 28 third line forwards we currently have under contract.

View attachment 892534
We can loan the euros to their respective European clubs. It’ll be interesting to see if any of them stay.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

View attachment 892534
Nystrom is almost guaranteed to go back to Sweden. I think we try to keep Heimo because of the displeasure of the usage in his Finnish squad's system. honka probably is loaned out with Morrow playing in Chicago now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad