GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
Counterpoint 1: That same team that had the 2nd best winning % in the NHL from Dec 1st on (60 games) and the best winning % from Jan 1st on (45 games). It took a while for a new team with a new coach to hit their stride.

Counterpoint #2: Scott Darling was still our goalie and had 2 wins in 8 starts.

Counterpoint #3: Nino, who was part of the team that got to the ECF, wasn't there in there during that bad stretch.

Counterpoint #4 (related to 1) : It was an entirely new coaching staff that came onboard in 2018 with a new system and a ton of new players: Ferland, Hamilton, Svechnikov, Martinook, Wallmark, Foegele, de Hann, Mckegg, Maenalanen, Nino, Mrazek, McElhinney.

So far this year we have: Walker, Gostisbehere (who was here before though so not completely new), Robinson, and Carrier and probably 2 rookies as new players (depending on Necas situation). That's half as much turn-over as 18-19.

I fully anticipate there will be a step back this year, not arguing that, just that there are a lot of factors that are significantly different than the start of the 18-19 season.
Counterpoint 5: we are in!
77EAC51F-E515-421B-B7E7-9BD8145D6BD2.png

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Well he's going to love contract negotiations with us.

Pinto is under-26, right? Nah, should be peachy keen (the Necas problem has almost nothing to do with willingness to pay).

In the event of a trade request, Pinto for Necas almost makes too much sense for both teams. Trade disgruntled players, give both 1 year prove-it contracts, and if they pan out, both can get long-term extensions with their new team.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Basically all that is left for RH Centres is Jack Roslovic.

The best free agent remaining, IMO, is Sprong, but he is best used in an unusual way and might still be on the market because he is asking for too much. If his price goes down, it would not shock me if the Canes call his number.

Reactions: DaveG and Francis10

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
The best free agent remaining, IMO, is Sprong, but he is best used in an unusual way and might still be on the market because he is asking for too much.
Him and roslovic to me aren’t guys who are gonna play in your top 6 and if they do then you’re in trouble. Canes have enough bottom 6 guys don’t see a fit for either

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wouldn’t mind Roslovic…as a 3rd line type for $2M or under. He’s certainly not a top 6 solution, and I’d be shocked if he would sign for $2M

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Him and roslovic to me aren’t guys who are gonna play in your top 6 and if they do then you’re in trouble. Canes have enough bottom 6 guys don’t see a fit for either

They don't have a lot of bottom-6 guys who generate offense like he can. A Noesen-like utility isn't a bad thing when you have questions surrounding your top-6 and you have great defensive forwards. Also, Sprong >> Roslovic and it isn't really a contest.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I figured we’d be trading for a righty center if we didn’t pick one up the first day. Might have been the plan all along. We have five centers now so if we picked up another through free agency we’d obviously have six. I’m guessing we have some trades coming up even if we didn’t pick up Jost but with his acquisition it seems fairly imminent that moves are coming. I’ve seen signs of them acknowledging that Kk isn’t working, but with Drury having arb rights I get concerned they may want to double down on KK seeing him as eventual good value with his contract. If we get a righty we could see all three rotating centers leave. Jost is the right price for a fourth line center.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The team that started 15-17-5 and took till the second-to-last game of the season to squeak into a playoff berth?

Can’t imagine why that would feel like a huge step backward.

I really don't think anyone cares how close they are to missing the playoffs as long as they make it at this point. I know I dont.

They will make the playoffs. Slim chance they contend for the Presidents trophy this year but they will again win at least one round in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad