GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dundon Mifflin

Jul 14, 2022
The worst thing the canes could have done to screw up future cup runs was sign a bunch of anchor contracts as an overreaction. They didn't do that. Might not be as good as the last couple of years, but still a competitive team with flexibility in the next couple of years to re-tool while players are still in their prime.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Another summer for Canes’ fans hoping for a Tarasenko signing

On another note, I think the 5 and 6 yr terms for Walker and Carrier are the longest UFA deals the Canes have ever given out.

Still quite a bit of work to do up front. I suppose they add a Henrique or Tarasenko type in the next few days and get a comparable scorer for Necas, keep coming back to Ehlers there.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Given how bad 90% of the deals were and the amount of talent we're having to replace...we did pretty well today. Walker, Ghost, and Chatty for just under 10m combined is very solid value, and we did that without giving out insane term.

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Walker
Ghost-Chatty

That gives us a pretty balanced group and allows Morrow get big minutes in Chicago this year. We'll also have $13m to play with next summer once Burns and Orlov roll off, and potential for both Nikishin and Morrow on ELCs. It also won't be difficult to move one of those contracts out if we decide to upgrade a partner for Slavin in 25-26.

Overall we added solid players at good value, while maintaining flexibility by not giving out both insane AAV and term. On a day where everyone else is going wild with both, I'll take it. Now time to trade for a couple of forwards.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The worst thing the canes could have done to screw up future cup runs was sign a bunch of anchor contracts as an overreaction. They didn't do that. Might not be as good as the last couple of years, but still a competitive team with flexibility in the next couple of years to re-tool while players are still in their prime.

There's a certain degree of cojones it takes to be fine with really good players signing elsewhere and sticking to your typical behavior in the heat of it all. I don't know if we'll be as good, but it's also only July 1st and we have plenty of cap space, draft pick capital, and the Necas chip to make major trades at forward.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Now that most of the UFAs from last years team signed we know that the value of last years playoff squad before adding whatever Necas, Jarvis, and Drury get was $90 mil or $4 million over the cap.

There was no world where the band could stay together and a significant regression on paper had to happen (which I’ve been saying for weeks).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Now that most of the UFAs from last years team signed we know that the value of last years playoff squad before adding whatever Necas, Jarvis, and Drury get was $90 mil or $4 million over the cap.

There was no world where the band could stay together and a significant regression on paper had to happen (which I’ve been saying for weeks).

Which is why Carolina probably being the team that's the least fearful of free agency or of what the public thinks of them is a real strength of theirs. Many teams would've panic-signed at least one of Pesce/Skjei in the wake of the Guentzel issue, but they stuck to their guns.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We lost some size on the back end.

Skjei: 6'3" 201
Pesce: 6'3" 206

Walker: 5'11" 191
Ghost: 5'11" 183
Gained a little bit of size up front at least in Carrier and Robinson.

Jost not so much, but still, 2 bigger bottom 6 guys. Too bad the prospects with a chance to
make the team up front are all tiny.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
CapFriendly lists the Walker contract as $3.6m for 5 years (unconfirmed). Would take him thorough 34 yo, not too bad. I'm thinking the sticking point on a lot of the players we let slide was not the AAV but the AAV / term combination.

Reactions: DaveG

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
That’s a pretty big drop in defense too. Great pieces, but a significant downgrade. They both move their feet and the puck well. Not a lot of battles in front of the net will be won.
Especially since it usually takes defensemen around half a season to get used to our system. Expect another slow team start, though this time they may only have the horses to get Metro 3/WC1, or maybe even last in.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Lemieux - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Carrier - Drury - Robinson
Kuznetsov - Jost

Tulsky emphatically said that the roster isn’t done and you look at that group of 14 forwards and it’s beyond evident those aren’t the same names we’ll be looking at opening night. You can almost breathe a sigh of relief looking at those names and knowing it has to change.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Lemieux - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Carrier - Drury - Robinson
Kuznetsov - Jost

Tulsky emphatically said that the roster isn’t done and you look at that group of 14 forwards and it’s beyond evident those aren’t the same names we’ll be looking at opening night. You can almost breathe a sigh of relief looking at those names and knowing it has to change.

Dude, don't harsh my panic!
LOL

Reactions: robbieberns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad