GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
What the Canes are doing is actually brilliant. If you corner the market of bottom 6ers and bottom pairing d-men, other teams won’t have the depth to round out their team. Big brain shit.

giphy.gif

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
You mean like he did with Wallmark, Svech, Foegele, Jarvis, Necas, Geekie, Lorentz, Ned, Bean, Chatfiled, Drury, Kochetkov,
How many of those guys immedately came in and played big roles? None. Even Svech started on the 4th line and played there for the majority of the year.

Nadeau or Blake aren't going to slide into the top 6, which is what Tulsky was sort of hinting at.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
we are very much going depth on the defense. 3.6 x 5 aav on Walker isnt bad. much better than 6 x 5.5. i was never a fan of ghost as his defense was bad and never added anything offensively. but in today's prices 3.2 isnt bad for another guy who is going to move the puck.

we are definitely fitting a mold offensively and defensively right now.

we have gone bigger and more physically on offense so far and really focused on puck moving defender.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I still think you see something with Laine. Maybe not. We don't have the space for that contract and I think they give kk one more year since we are going to suck anyway.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Gostisbehere put up 10 goals and 51 points last season.

Look, we're not going to be quite as good defensively, but we'll be serviceable. What we need is a home run forward either via trade or Necas stepping up.
I am worried about our defensive play because we didn't exactly load up offensive offset it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How many of those guys immedately came in and played big roles? None. Even Svech started on the 4th line and played there for the majority of the year.
That's not true.

Svech had the 4th most TOI of any forward in 18-19 and the 4th most PP TOI.
Wallmark had the 5th most TOI of any forward in 18-19
Foegele had the 9th most TOI of any forward in 18-19

They all played big roles that year.

Necas had the 7th most TOI his rookie season and was on the 2nd PP unit and has been a steady top 6 since then.
Jarvis was given a lot of responsibility from Rod from early on and again, has been steady top 6 since then.

Some of the other guys were role players, but still are today while others have worked their way up (Chatfield, Drury).

We've been a cup contending team the last few years so it's hard for rookies to make the team.
Nadeau or Blake aren't going to slide into the top 6, which is what Tulsky was sort of hinting at.
Nor should they.

Reactions: DaveG

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I’m sorry, but you’re just not allowed to act like the sky is falling July 1st. If all we do from now until beginning of preseason is re-signing Jarvis and Necas, you can go nuts about our top 6 in September. I don’t like how things look at the moment either but to not even give them a chance to work things out through a trade or two is nuts.

Getting in Ghost and Walker in at those dollar amounts is really smart business.

Screaming bloody murder about Pesce and Skjei (Borsig dude please chill out) refuses to acknowledge that those deals would be anchor deals and remove any flexibility in the future both personnel wise and cap space wise on the back end for the next half decade.

These signings give us space to pry out a Burns replacement next summer as well as allowing us to see how Morrow/Nikishin pan out in the next few years.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Wow…. I’m totally fine with that Walker contract…. Given some of the craaaaazy deals today for dmen, wow that is pretty darn good all things considered…

Ghost put up points last season with Detroit but not sure he was a net positive player once his defense was factored in…. It’s not a long term deal and if Nikishin tears it up when he joins, we either keep Ghost on the third pair and don’t re sign Orlov or his deal is likely easily traded for assets given its term and not outrageous AAV…. Not as happy on the Ghost deal but I see the logic they are trying to apply…. We got a veteran pair of dmen for 6m per season, not much more than what Pesce cost and less than what Skjei cost by themselves and those guys are also signed for longer terms…. Hate losing our defensive second d pairing but it makes sense what they are doing with a hard cap and within the context of how Tulsky explained it…

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Also, keep in mind the $13.8 million in cap that CapFriendly is showing is really about $17.2 million (you have to back out Nadeau, Blake, Suzuki, and Seeley). And that's even leaving Morrow on the NHL squad which is appearing more and more unlikely.

After Walker's $3.6 million, we're at a tidy $13.6 million. Even if Jarvis gets $7.5 million, I don't believe Necas gets more that $6 million in arbitration (if that's the play). I'm sure one of the conversations going on internally is the risk of bridging Jarvis. That leaves Drury as the odd man out.

I'm pretty sure that means Marty is getting traded sometime over the Summer. Don't want it to happen as I think it comes back to bite us in the ass, but it looks unlikely that we keep him.

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
First of july - The Groundhog Day in hfboards. There are all the takes. Somehow we have a team when the season starts. Or we don't. But it's only the first day to panic. Save your energy for all of them.

this-is-fine.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad