GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

oneofus.gif

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If NJ ends up with Pesce and Marchy to go along with the Markstrom trade.... Yeah, we are going to have a very tough time keeping pace with that. And looking at the Metro, things could get dicey for us with NYR already being better than us last year and not really losing anything, the Devils loading up, the Flyers bringing in Michkov and us being in a complete roster upheaval.

If we don't absolutely nail it in FA, we might be in a dogfight for a wild card spot next year.
It’s it not what they had roster-wise was getting it done. Change was inevitable.

Maybe they didn’t expect the level of change that’s coming, but they couldn’t keep just trotting out the same underachieving roster, especially after being locked into multiple long term deals for 30+ players.

They’ll be fine. Maybe next year is transitory. It happens.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Pesce is a bad fit for NJ imo. Yes they need a good partner for a couple of young defenders but he doesn’t move the puck or join the rush. Seems like a bad system fit

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Interesting side Gold puts on the “car dealer”

Given Pittsburgh had reports that Guentzel was always going to 7/1 to test the market and Guentzel turned around and said he wanted to stay but Pitt didn’t talk to him about a long-term deal and then seeing what happened here (late repeat of his salary demands, met, went 7/1 anyway) my conclusion is Guentzel doesn’t just look like a used car dealer.
no, no...you misread my comment....it's not Guentzel, its the Dundon "process" that is associated with buying a car at a traditional dealer.

Reactions: Tryamw

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
If NJ ends up with Pesce and Marchy to go along with the Markstrom trade.... Yeah, we are going to have a very tough time keeping pace with that. And looking at the Metro, things could get dicey for us with NYR already being better than us last year and not really losing anything, the Devils loading up, the Flyers bringing in Michkov and us being in a complete roster upheaval.

If we don't absolutely nail it in FA, we might be in a dogfight for a wild card spot next year.
Play the kids, get a high draft pick next year/perhaps 2, and look for '26 and beyond as the next highly competitive window.

TT no no no

good move for them....TT's lack of physicality won't matter in NY and his defensive acumen will help.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Pesce is a bad fit for NJ imo. Yes they need a good partner for a couple of young defenders but he doesn’t move the puck or join the rush. Seems like a bad system fit
Pesce has made every partner better--given Hughes' currently trajectory, if Pesce makes him better Hughes will join his brother in the Norris conversation soon.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
no, no...you misread my comment....it's not Guentzel, its the Dundon "process" that is associated with buying a car at a traditional dealer.
Yes, but in this case it was a dealer trying to sell to a used car salesman.

And as soon as he had a deal locked in, he shopped that deal around to try and beat it.

I don’t think timing would have mattered here; Guentzel and his agent would still have shopped that 8x8 around and ended up elsewhere.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
huh, good move for next few years.

Devils needed a stay at home defenseman. They have Hughes and Nemec to move pucks and those two plus Dougie to provide offense.

Reactions: Stickpucker

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Yes, but in this case it was a dealer trying to sell to a used car salesman.

And as soon as he had a deal locked in, he shopped that deal around to try and beat it.

I don’t think timing would have mattered here; Guentzel and his agent would still have shopped that 8x8 around and ended up elsewhere.
or the player got tired of dealing with the car salesmen and went to another dealer (and got a better car). Normal people walk into dealers, get pissed and walk out....it happens everyday (well I don't...I never buy from dealers anymore)

Sorry, It's the Dundon process that sucked.....

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm probably late but with Monahan making 2m last year....how much do we think hell get this year?

He can play c and w and could be a good get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad