Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Acquiring a RD in his prime is one of the most coveted positions in sports and costs a lot in assets. It's cheaper to use a first on a player in the draft, than it is to trade or sign for one.

Would you rather have drafted a prime Tanev and had him on cheap deals or spend multiple picks and prospects acquiring him from another team or throw the bag at them in FA after he's past his prime?
I understand the thought process but you’re neglecting the fact that the trade proposal is for a proven commodity vs “could be as good as…”.

Regardless, I very much like this pick. I hope he gets 2-4 years of development; let him over-bake a bit and rather rewards later.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dubas and Hunter took all kinds of swings at skill and we ended up with almost nothing to show for it outside of the very high picks and Matthew Knies.

How many Semyon Der-Arguchintsevs do we need?

Who was the skill we swung for the fences on? Most of the smaller guys they drafted were high work rate two way diet-grinder types that might turn into a Jarnkrok/Kerfoot one day, we weren’t taking gambles on Hutson ultimate boom/bust types. The SDAs of the world at least turn into productive AHL/KHL tweeners that will play NHL games somewhere, Hunter’s fridge drafts took a bunch of guys that couldn’t even hack it at the ECHL level.

There’s enough to dislike about Dubas’s targeting but it’s more that we already had Kerfoot’s stocked throughout the system and they’re not hard to get in trade or UFA, him swinging for the fences on skill is hard to make a claim for when Robertson is pretty easily the most skilled player he went for outside the first.

All the smaller guys like Hollowell, Hirvonen, Abruzesse, Voit have the same write up of being undersized but smart hard working two way players, none of them have any sort of stand-out home run swing skills at the cost of being allergic to contact or the D zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Dubas and Hunter took all kinds of swings at skill and we ended up with almost nothing to show for it outside of the very high picks and Matthew Knies.

I understand the frustration and the tedium, but, personally, I do find it weird to purposefully avoid talent.

"Let's not take the guy with a high ceiling because he might not make it, and instead take the guy who plays a utility/depth role and might not make it" just seems counterintuitive

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I wish we drafted more prospects like Timashov, Dierzkiels and Korshkov. Even Bracco was a sleeper pick
More 6'3"+ defensive bricks who don't translate, like Loov, surely ;)

(I actually did like Loov, tbh, though. He was physical, had a pretty good read of the ice - was an intriguing pick - but just couldn't bring it to an NHL level and wasn't able to outplay Valiev, Percy, and Harrington (which says enough right there))

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I understand the frustration and the tedium, but, personally, I do find it weird to purposefully avoid talent.

"Let's not take the guy with a high ceiling because he might not make it, and instead take the guy who plays a utility/depth role and might not make it" just seems counterintuitive

I find trying to draft for an all purpose top 4 RHD d-man that doesn't need to be sheltered is shooting for a very, very important player and a swing at an essential talent.

Teams choose this profile of player over top 6 highly offensive wingers, they're much harder to get a hold of.

Reactions: William Johnson

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I know nothing about this kid, but I'm just glad we're making picks in the first round and rebuilding a pipeline of young talent. Danford, Cowan, Minten to some extent. Appreciate we're in "win now" mode but it's fun to have something to look forward to when we aren't winning (and we're pretty much experts at that).

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

The leafs had a habit of drafting small and weak players with skill or big and slow players without skills. The focus was on “hockey IQ” not athleticism. Ultimately the strategy failed.

I wish we drafted more prospects like Timashov, Dierzkiels and Korshkov. Even Bracco was a sleeper pick
None of those guys could skate well enough to compensate for their small size. Drafting them was a wasted pick.

LeafsGuy16

LeafsGuy16
Sep 4, 2018
I admittedly know nothing about this player outside of draft write ups, and have never seen him play outside of highlights. With that said, I don’t understand why so many people view this as a “safe” pick. There’s a lot of talk about a 4-5-6 dman.

Based on what I’ve read, it would seem to me that the upside of this pick is a legit top pair/ #2 RHD. Something like a Vlasic, Muzzin, or Seabrook. All of whom were Team Canada defenders. They’re not sexy, nor are they true #1s, but those are extremely valuable high upside players. I have to think if the leafs had him as bpa at 23, they see top pairing upside?

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
None of those guys could skate well enough to compensate for their small size. Drafting them was a wasted pick.

That’s what Kyle Dubas could never figure out. Skating ability should be a minimum requirement for draft picks.

The risk of missing out on a slow footed plodding Hall of Famer like Dave Andreychuck is infinitely less than avoiding the huge number of busts who can’t skate well enough to keep up in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

When you have a core that was drafted all in the top 10 in your top 6 you draft the best players to surround them with and that involves the depth roles so we aren't spending 1st and 2nd round picks every year on bottom 6 players. Use those picks to either upgrade the top 6 with much better players at the deadline or fill up the prospect pool even more.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I find this size vs talent dichotomy has taken on a weird folklore, stemming from the Biggs and Gauthier disaster picks, and then the reform of taking Nylander after, and forever after you were picking small skill with enormous upside, or a mutant that can't play, skate, think.

Any team needs a diverse draft class of all positions, body types and skill levels each graduating to different places on the roster. You don't draft for need but over a long enough runway if you ignore your needs you never solve them either.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Acquiring a RD in his prime is one of the most coveted positions in sports and costs a lot in assets. It's cheaper to use a first on a player in the draft, than it is to trade or sign for one.

Would you rather have drafted a prime Tanev and had him on cheap deals or spend multiple picks and prospects acquiring him from another team or throw the bag at them in FA after he's past his prime?

You don't get a prime age Tanev on a team controlled 6-7 year contract for a a late 1st. round pick.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
You don't get a prime age Tanev on a team controlled 6-7 year contract for a a late 1st. round pick.
That's my point. I was saying to the poster that it's cheaper to use your own first to draft a player like a Tanev and have him be cost controlled than it is to acquire a player like him in his prime. Teams generally don't give them up and if they do, you are paying a premium. We are getting him when he is on the back 9.

He said he doesn't like the pick.

Reactions: ULF_55

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That's my point. I was saying to the poster that it's cheaper to use your own first to draft a player like a Tanev and have him be cost controlled than it is to acquire a player like him in his prime. Teams generally don't give them up and if they do, you are paying a premium. We are getting him when he is on the back 9.

He said he doesn't like the pick.

How many D do you have to draft with 1sts to get one Tanev though? Prime aged established #2D go for 2 mid-late 1sts pretty frequently, if your scouting staff has a 50% hit rate on Tanevs at 20-30 overall you need to back up the Brinks truck and lock them down for life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad