GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Then NHL when it comes to officiating, DoPS, cap circumvention, and tampering:

TuwoP8.gif

Reminder of the most important news today: The Islanders are still paying Rick DiPietro $1.5 million a year not to play for them. And will be doing so until the 28-29 season.
1719838845491.png

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
never was going to happen...what was interesting though is that I had seen speculation that his contract value be $10M+ on the open market (Canes would never pay that of course).

He signed for far less....but of course when your aggregate contract value will approach $100M by the time this one ends, it's much easier to leave some $$$ on the table.

btw: That's why I thought Guentzel would stay because he struck me as a guy that $$$$ wasn't top priority and wanted a good place for his family.
It makes the past The Athletic story re: how great life in Raleigh is, how he liked the team, etc. feel more like a US Magazine or Daily Mail story now

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
That's how they do though...find the next Marty now that everyone knows about Marty and he's gonna get paid.
Marty was of course 3 years younger when signed and a 2nd round draft pick.
It makes the past The Athletic story re: how great life in Raleigh is, how he liked the team, etc. feel more like a US Magazine or Daily Mail story now
yup, easy to get cynical of this era's PR machines....much better to tune out (but damn I bought Guentzel's story).

it's worse with college recruiting. Every on-site visit by a player gets the blah, blah, blah on how great the visit was.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Reminder of the most important news today: The Islanders are still paying Rick DiPietro $1.5 million a year not to play for them. And will be doing so until the 28-29 season.

Different sport, but spare a thought for Bobby Bonilla getting his deferred money from the Mets and Orioles, to the tune of about $1.6M today.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
never was going to happen...what was interesting though is that I had seen speculation that his contract value be $10M+ on the open market (Canes would never pay that of course).

I wasn't implying it was going to happen (Reinhardt to Carolina). Canes would have never paid that for him. I'm just pointing out that to have equivalent take home compensation, his $8.625x8 would need to have been $10Mx7 in Carolina.
He signed for far less....but of course when your aggregate contract value will approach $100M by the time this one ends, it's much easier to leave some $$$ on the table.
Somewhat. I'd say less, but probably not far less:

1) He gets an 8th year and he couldn't get that 8th year on the open market. As we all know, that's the way it usually works when teams utilize the 8th year. they get a lower AAV for that extra year. It's not often a guys signs for 8 years at the same AAV he could get on the open market so that's pretty typical.

2) the taxes in Florida amounts to a substantial difference in take home pay. Unless he went to another no-state tax team (TB, DAL, VGN, etc..) other teams would have had to pay him substantially more AAV to get the same take-home pay.

Thus most of the "open market" would have had to pay a much higher AAV at 7 years to come close to this number at 8 years. Some drunk GM might have though.

Still, this helps Florida's cap either way.
btw: That's why I thought Guentzel would stay because he struck me as a guy that $$$$ wasn't top priority and wanted a good place for his family.
I never felt that way from the start. $4M take home is a pretty big difference if it's $9.25x7. He already has his name on the cup.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I wasn't implying it was going to happen (Reinhardt to Carolina). Canes would have never paid that for him. I'm just pointing out that to have equivalent take home compensation, his $8.625x8 would need to have been $10Mx7 in Carolina.

Somewhat. I'd say less, but probably not far less:

1) He gets an 8th year and he couldn't get that 8th year on the open market. As we all know, that's the way it usually works when teams utilize the 8th year. they get a lower AAV for that extra year. It's not often a guys signs for 8 years at the same AAV he could get on the open market so that's pretty typical.

2) the taxes in Florida amounts to a substantial difference in take home pay. Unless he went to another no-state tax team (TB, DAL, VGN, etc..) other teams would have had to pay him substantially more AAV to get the same take-home pay.

Thus most of the "open market" would have had to pay a much higher AAV at 7 years to come close to this number at 8 years. Some drunk GM might have though.

Still, this helps Florida's cap either way.

I never felt that way from the start. $4M take home is a pretty big difference if it's $9.25x7. He already has his name on the cup.
"I never felt that way from the start. $4M take home is a pretty big difference if it's $9.25x7".

Of course, everyone has different motivations. For me, money was never the only motivator and I left jobs that paid well because my boss was sub-par.

FWIW: If he had signed with the Canes he still would have multi-generational money and the extra $3-4M would not have mattered (his cost of living will be much higher in Tampa btw).

Listening to Gold's podcast last night......from his sources it appears that the Canes could have signed him but by "car dealering him (my words)" and delaying, it opened up a window where other teams could swoop in.

Reactions: DaveG

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I doubt we get marchessault looks likes gonna gonna have a lot of suitors and someone will overpay

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Listening to Gold's podcast last night......from his sources it appears that the Canes could have signed him but by "car dealering him (my words)" and delaying, it opened up a window where other teams could swoop in.
Interesting side Gold puts on the “car dealer”

Given Pittsburgh had reports that Guentzel was always going to 7/1 to test the market and Guentzel turned around and said he wanted to stay but Pitt didn’t talk to him about a long-term deal and then seeing what happened here (late repeat of his salary demands, met, went 7/1 anyway) my conclusion is Guentzel doesn’t just look like a used car dealer.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Sounds like he’s going to NJ

Seems like it’s Stamkos or bust in terms of making a big FA splash today
If NJ ends up with Pesce and Marchy to go along with the Markstrom trade.... Yeah, we are going to have a very tough time keeping pace with that. And looking at the Metro, things could get dicey for us with NYR already being better than us last year and not really losing anything, the Devils loading up, the Flyers bringing in Michkov and us being in a complete roster upheaval.

If we don't absolutely nail it in FA, we might be in a dogfight for a wild card spot next year.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think there’s a solid chance Carolina lands Stamkos with an Orlov type deal. Might only be a couple years but 10+ AAV.

And if he can still play C, he could be exactly what this team needs for the next couple years.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
If NJ ends up with Pesce and Marchy to go along with the Markstrom trade.... Yeah, we are going to have a very tough time keeping pace with that. And looking at the Metro, things could get dicey for us with NYR already being better than us last year and not really losing anything, the Devils loading up, the Flyers bringing in Michkov and us being in a complete roster upheaval.

If we don't absolutely nail it in FA, we might be in a dogfight for a wild card spot next year.

Dawg you might want to find something else to do today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad