HF Habs: U18 World Men's Hockey Championship, April 25-May 5

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is he showing skill/creativity ? Good player but very boring to watch.

He is showing skill, and is a beautiful skater. Sweden is playing a 1-4, so it's nearly impossible to carry the puck into their zone. You have to dump it in. Helenius is the only player who can cross the blueline with possession. They're on him fast & doing a good job of isolating him from his teammates.

It's a seriously boring game.

Reactions: dinodebino

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is he showing skill/creativity ? Good player but very boring to watch.
Not really. Most of the 2024 showcasing right now are pro type players. The U18s is basically pond hockey. It's a glorified Kubota game at this point. All Ive seen is Martone, Hagens and McKenna streaking down the ice to score on highlight reels over and over.

I guess some players can get lost in the sauce when they're playing that type of tournament. It is interesting to see guys that CAN play pro games be complete monsters in pond hockey though. Martone is exhibit A, but his physical tools are so far up the wazoo that I'm not sure it tells much on his actual quality as a player. Hellie is showing some good skating and flashing his shot and puck carrying though, can't say otherwise.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yes he’s showing skill but what good is skill if you don’t produce.

Same thing happened to Pastrnak. He had an excellent season in HockeyAllsvenskan, but did nothing at u18s. No goals & only handful of assists.

The following year he's ppg in AHL to start, gets called up to NHL and that's all she wrote.

Helenius is productive in Liiga.

He's playing at World Championship in a couple of weeks, so there's more opportunity to watch him.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Really poor tournament by Finland. I would've liked to see more aggressiveness from Helenius in terms of attacking the middle of the ice, and taking Ds wide.

Ditto Hemming. Kiviharju didn't stand out in any way either. Those 3 needed to lead this team.

Overall, it's not a great draft year for Fins.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't expect the Canada - Latvia game to be competitive at all. I'll probably just watch the 1st period. McKenna and Martone are fun to watch.

Reactions: Redux91

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'd say the depth is impressive in the first 30-40 picks but it falls off reallt hard after that

Yeah, that's what I mean. By Colorado's pick just start taking D, or the energizer bunny, hitting type forwards in mid-rounds. I would trade some of our lower picks. We don't need three 7 round picks. One should do.

There should be 2 good forwards to take in 1st round, though.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
George is in net for Canada and he's had to make 3 good stops already.

Highsticking penalty to Latvia. PP Canada.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I'd say the depth is impressive in the first 30-40 picks but it falls off reallt hard after that
There's a huge dropoff in the early 20s IMO which is pretty typical of most draft years.

Really poor tournament by Finland. I would've liked to see more aggressiveness from Helenius in terms of attacking the middle of the ice, and taking Ds wide.

Ditto Hemming. Kiviharju didn't stand out in any way either. Those 3 needed to lead this team.

Overall, it's not a great draft year for Fins.

Hemming is the biggest disappointment. Just a perimeter shooter with limited IQ.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
OMG, absolute chaos in front of Latvia's net. Bodies all over. McKenna eventually gets it to Masse. Goal 1-0.

Reviewing for goaltending interference. It's good. 1-0.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad