Post-Game Talk: U18 World Championship

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
7-1 and 7-2 games in the Semis is kind of odd. I guess the Swedish kids are helping themselves in the conversation for the draft.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
All-in-all, the tournament concluded with USA beating Sweden in OT in the Gold Game. Canada took home the Bronze after an OT win against the Slovaks.

Few players that really stood out in this tournament:

Dalibor Dvorsky - Probably the tournament MVP. Carried Slovakia to the Medal Round for the first time in their history. Dominant all-around and found another gear especially offensively. A lock to go in the top-10 after this, imo.

Matthew Wood - Canada's leading scorer in the tournament. Scored 4 points in Canada's 4 goals in the Bronze game. Dominant offensively, and just so smart at finding the openings in opponent's defense. Scores at will when he gets his chances. Going to be a force in the higher levels as well and should go in the top-10 as well.

Perreault - Smith - Leonard - The US's top line that carried them to the Gold. Just all around great tournament from all of them, although they did cool off a bit in the last two games of the tournament, with 2, 4 and 3 points respectively. Smith was obviously the best of the three and watching Perreault in the last two games made me cool off of him a bit. Leonard's going to be an NHL'er although I'm not completely sure about his offensive ceiling.

Sweden's defence - Sandin-Pellikka had a great tournament, as you would've expected. He's clearly a notch above the rest at this level but his struggles against Men are a bit concerning. I'm still a bit on the fence with him, I mean you see the obvious talent but just wonder if it's going to translate to the NHL.

Willander was another standout as well on Sweden's defence. Very mobile, active and rangy defenseman who's floor seems to be quite high. I think he catapulted himself into the 1st round with this performance and wouldn't be opposed to us grabbing him. Not going to be an offensive dynamo at the NHL but will be a solid hybrid defenseman.

Lindstein, ditto. He's not as good a skater as the former two, but he's an overall solid defenseman. Not that much offensive upside, I don't think but would be a good grab with one of our two 2nd rounders.

Otto Stenberg - Have written about him on this thread already, but I was really impressed by him. His numbers on the season don't jump at you but he's a very smart, strong and elegant centerman. Don't see a huge top-six upside in him because he doesn't have one, strong trait but the absolute best case for him could be something like Sebastian Aho. I mean, at least he reminds of Aho stylistically.

Honorable mentions: Caden Price, Anton Wahlberg, Calum Ritchie, Kasper Halttunen and David Edström, Maxim Strbak.

Some players who didn't have such strong tournaments and probably our scouting staff will cool off of them a bit at least:

Andrew Cristall - 6 points in 7 games isn't bad but I think people expected more from him. He seemed to be active but just couldn't get it done at a level like Wood or the US boys did.

Colby Barlow - Got shadowed by Wood, Celebrini (2024) and Ritchie to some extent. Had a couple of nice goals where he beat the goalies clean and I have no doubts that he's going to become a 20-30 goal scorer in the NHL. I see a James Neal in him. Doesn't create much on his own.

Eduard Sale - I'm just still not impressed by him. I mean he has talent but is just so inconsistent.

Riley Heidt - Joined the team late and wasn't able to get it going at any point. Had a lot of opportunities including 1PP time but was only able to put together two assists in five games. Skilled but not willing to go the dirty areas and stays in the perimeter too much. Don't see a center in him, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad